Internet Cowboy
    CJ Merchants dropping like flies
    I got an e-mail today from the AM of yet another CJ program who is fed up and is moving to another network.
    As much of a pain in the butt as these problems are for affiliates, they are apparently as much or even more of a pain for merchants.

Unlike affiliates, merchants pay them good money for a service that is not reliable and hasn't been for over a month.

What used to be the place to do affiliate business seems to be rapidly losing merchants and affiliates alilke. It is really kind of sad to see, but their apparent lack of concern or motivation to do anything about it seems to be the problem.

For a company that makes the money CJ makes to post a message to the effect of "We will be doing other things that require resources so the account manager will be unstable or unavailable for three days" is simply ridiculous. Computers don't cost that much.

Boggles the mind doesn't it.
    Suz~~GearGirl~~

I asked one of my aff managers if they had plans to move to another network and he said they're thinking about LS and what do I think.......

In many more words, I told him they're heading in the wrong direction
    Last edited by BrattyKitty; September 13th, 2005 at 10:52 PM. Reason: because of stupid typos that I don't double check first
    Never argue with an idiot.
    The person watching, may not be able to tell the difference!

:female: :star: :envelope: [url="http://www.bridalbasics.ca/"]:weddingca[/url]

Well I don't know about you guys, but I have a feeling in my marrow that there is something very seriously wrong with CJ tracking today. This is the worst day I've had in more than a month. My CTR for the day so far is 35.7% and I only have 1 measly sale showing up. Something stinks

Yep i have had Merchants drop me on my butt and they say there off to LS to, is very annoying

ABW Ambassador
    We Left
    and went INDEPENDENT

Well if it's anything like the agency business, sometimes you get merchants with bad websites or bad products that just don't sell so they keep switching agencies until they run out of money or finally realize that it's not necessarily the agency or in this case the network that doesn't work, the business model or the site is flawed or it is a product nobody wants.

Hopefully none of the big money merchants leave at least not before sales start to cool in Feb and hopefully both CJ and LinkShare will get reliable systems in place before making more upgrades. Please stay at CJ! (or LS this close to the holidays). Make a move in the spring if ya gotta move.

[B]I get more traffic from the 2 independent programs, they offer a better deal.I will stay with LS, SAS,Performics ( I will never understand their reports)Gateway be free is shrinking fast.I still believe shoppers will realize how musch gas,cash and time they save online.
    My dimes worth
    jj
    [FONT=Times New Roman]Even Einstein read comic books to relax[/FONT] :clap:

My wish list is simple....

#1 I hope that all CJ merchants move to Shareasale...

#2 I hope that Shareasale improves it's platform 200% by insisting that merchants have funds to pay affiliates for at least 3 months.

#3 refer to wish list #1

now instead of checking everyday in cj how much i earned, i look for which merchants has gone from cj...i guess very soon cj will be left with no merchants ..

This sounds like a good thing.

I hope they all go to SAS.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

I'm - personally - amazed that CJ hasn't done more to offset the anger of both affiliates and merchants.

Not only is the response to e-mails amazingly slow, but I have not received a single e-mail from anyone that even comes close to apologizing for the complete mess-up this upgrade has become.

We're soooooo frustrated with the system right now.

Unfortunaley, LS doesn't seem to be any better, so I think SAS is going to get a LOT more business very, very, very soon.

From the merchants standpoint, not only are we paying for a service that is not being offered effectively, but it is also hurting our sales because affiliates are spending more time with page errors and slow reports and merchants dumping CJ that they don't have as much time to add new merchants, new links, new anything.

Fourth Quarter is two weeks away, and CJ has just managed to reduce Fourth Quarter earnings by an amount that cannot be estimated. Well, I'm sure it could be.... but - with all of he page errors and the slow reports - I just don't have the time.

Hello Share-A-Sale!!!!

Wonderfulbuys.com is now live on Share-A-Sale, Brushstrokes Fine Art will be shortly as well.

However... now that I've completed my CJ rant, I do want to add one thing. I really do hope that CJ manages to fix this mess. I've used CJ (in various entities) for years and there are some great things about CJ. I'd hate to see it completely destroyed and hope that they can get the ship pointed in the right direction, soon.

First priority - make your customers happy!!! Your customers being the affiliates and merchants who use the system, and pay you - a lot - for doing so.

Paul

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Concerned and honest merchants and AM's do have an alternative on the drawing board. www.ecomcity.com/safehaven-network.htm The very lack of response from the networks to license a SHN model to run parallel to the existing advertising networks means it is a force they don't want to compete with....
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Influencer Marketing GravityFed's Avatar
    Funny because a few months ago they were defecting from linkshare to CJ... what's the answer?

Internet Cowboy
    I think the solution is simplicity. We do not need a lot of convaluded, fancy, hard to get to and hard to read reports. We need to be able to see how much was sold, what was sold and where is was sold from, among a few other payment metrics and other things.

CJ and LS alike have tried to get far too advanced. Give me something simple that works all the time over something more complex that works some, or even most, of the time any day. This is apparently the mindset that merchants have too. They try to do too much when their infrastructure and/or programming ability is not up to that level. This leads to a wide inability to get even the simple information regularly.

I would love to hear CJ's explanation of why they can't run payments and keep the account manager going at the same time. They always say tracking is not affected, but if you can't process payments and provide reports concurrently, what is to make me or anyone else think that you can process payments and track sales concurrently? They will say "These are two separate systems." To that I say "Set up another system for reporting so it is not affected by payment processing." There is no excuse for a company with profits that CJ makes not to have enough resources to perform all aspects of their operation without another aspect of the operation suffering. I think it is all due to poor management. Bad management trickles down to all other aspects of the operation.

Influencer Marketing GravityFed's Avatar
    Thanks UncleScooter,

Great post. I agree.. there's beauty in simplicity. Gary M

Quote Originally Posted by gmarcoccia
    Funny because a few months ago they were defecting from linkshare to CJ... what's the answer?
    I have to agree, what is the answer?

Of course, the problem with LS is they won't let you do affiliate programs at another network. At least CJ is flexible in that area and if a merchant just adds another network instead of leaving CJ, then the affiliate has the best of both worlds and can move if and when they want to.

It would be nice if we started a thread that listed which merchants have moved to other networks. I'd be real curious to see what the actual numbers are of moves versus threatened moves.
    Ron Bechdolt | Affiliate Program Management Consultant
    7 Days A Week Marketing

Quote Originally Posted by gmarcoccia
    SAS of course.

Ask a simple....
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

ABW Ambassador
    The answer is CJ/SAS, CJ/Indy. More than 1 option. Same with LS merchants. They should get that option in any of their contracts and not settle for getting their hands tied with exclusivity. A network run right and working is great but when it doesn't then you're stuck if you only have your program available there. Open up your programs. If i was a merchant i would go CJ/SAS. That way i could be on a big network and have that reach then i could also have my program available to affiliates who don't want to work with merchants thru CJ or LS etc. And then if Malcolm ever gets his big brand clean network over to the U.S. that could be something to look at.

I prefer INDY programs over Networks any day..

Most companies that have indies are more responsive and can be held responsible for THEIR actions.. there is no one else to blame..

We all know the old "TRUSTED third parties" can't be trusted anyway..
    SO - why use them - and - why give them a chunk of the pie?

Networks are the MIDDLE MAN.. and it is always best to cut out the middle man when given the opportunity..!

(( That Includes ALL Networks - CJ - PF - LS - AND - SAS ))

I had rather log in to ten INDIES and get accurate reports than log in to Two networks that are either DOWN or a frustrating inaccurate mess...

ABW Ambassador
    Lightbulb The voice of reason
    "I prefer INDY programs over Networks any day.."

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    me lub indies 2

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Honest converting Indies automatically stickout, as they're not surrounded by all that white noise.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

24. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread