I lost the thread where someone else mentioned a slew of merchant welcome letters to which they never applied. I had it happen, too.

What's with this?

webmistress,

It was Tom (THMedia) who said it ... I got 98 messages myself yesturday and 6 were from merchants I never applied to either :confused:

Haiko

Perhaps they're desperate for affiliates...and I mean that in the nicest way [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    We're all getting pretty chosey when it comes to merchant programs we promote, and I know it costs them a fair whack to be at cj.
    Maybe we could have something setup in our account manager for merchants:
    Merchants who meet this critera will be considered:
    10% min, 30 day cookie min, no flagrant advertising of free phone number and the rest....

Come to think of it Mousejockey, I got those approvals on the account where I don't have that sort of thing written (argh, the content sites!!!). And they were all relevant to the category of the two main content sites, webmaster stuff and services.

Maybe I'll go in and edit the profile to say, "If I didn't apply, chances are I won't be promoting you even if you sign me up for your program..."

[ 01-17-2002: Message edited by: webmistress ]

My question is how did they get our info?

Advertisers are not availed any "not-joined" publisher information!

So ... :confused: ... Security Gap?

Haiko

edit the profile to say, "If I didn't apply, chances are I won't be promoting you even if you sign me up for your program..."

lol! Oh! how things are changing for affiliates, I can see a time when they'll pay us a bonus just to sign on [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

This is exactly the question.

The merchants were all in webmaster service categories fitting my VirtuallyIgnorant site which is what the profile is set up for on the account.

Maybe I forgot I applied to a couple of these?

Sigh, I can't believe I would have considered this one: http://members.cj.com/member/account...chantid=285476 iccckkk.

Likewise, I don't do cellular phones. After all the noise about reversals I have no interest in playing the cell phone game.

Webmistress,

Come on ... they are a powerhouse!

You just don't want to admit that you did [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Haiko

LOL, Haiko,
    Yeah, like the time I tried to drink Tequilla shots and beer chasers with a Mexican gal who had won the heart of my high school sweetheart [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] . I never admit to not remembering that night. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

At least these guys have been around long enough that I might have signed up before I knew what I was doing (kinda like the beer chasers): http://members.cj.com/member/account...chantid=288183

But I would have put up links if I'd signed up for them way back then. I never remember looking at THAT site!

Webmistress,

Looks like you had "pulke" not tequila [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Pulke is a milky alcoholic concoction of the agave juice (not distilled)

Haiko

[ 01-17-2002: Message edited by: Jose Cuervo ]

ABW Ambassador
    You guys will probably think that I'm making this up, but I have received hundreds of letters this week. I don't get it...if there were a problem in the system, wouldn't most of us get hundreds of them too? Now, to top it off, I've made it clear in here that I use a seperate e-mail address for CJ..this helps me track a little..anyhow, I just received an e-mail from ' lcboever@hotmail.com' With the subject line of 'Welcome To Lead Technologies Inc' The only thing in this letter is my name...there is no body, just says 'Tom Pyles' Now...do you all know of any merchants that would actually use a hotmail account to conduct business? I wonder if there is a spammer in the group, and this was a test to see if it were bounced....

Tom Pyles

Tom,
    I just got that same email from Lead Technologies Inc. It seemed very strange.

ABW Ambassador
    I know sometimes errors happen...I see the 'Dear {insertname}' all the time...it was the Hotmail part that throws me for a curve...if they are part of CJ, they obviously have a website...when I did a search at CJ for Lead Technologies Inc, nothing comes up...if you do just Lead Technologies, only the Colorado Pen company comes up, probably because lead and technology are keywords of theirs...that is why I came up with the spamming issue...obviously there is a merchant that has access to our e-mail addresses and is sending stuff from hotmail...either to see if were bounced or if we would reply (therefore validating our e-mail address). And, we already know that many CJ merchants love SPAM...

Tom Pyles

[ 01-17-2002: Message edited by: TH Media ]

Webmistress,

Virtually Ignorant - that's great. A two word site that describes 99.999 of everyone on the planet.

The other .001 all work for Microsoft.

I'll start out by stating that I am the most scatter-brained person I know but in the last few days I really wondered if in a half-asleep moment I applied to all those merchants. I have received 83 "welcome to *****" emails in the last three days. I am new at this and have been reading every post here for about a month or so, and have been slowly building a site, a page at a time, applying to the appropriate merchants as needed. I have had several in the "applied to" status for a while. When all those welcome emails started coming in I thought I had really gone bonkers. I only remembered a handful. So in reality, I might be bonkers but not for that reason.

ABW Ambassador
    Comtek,
    That is what I thought it was at first, since there were a few merchants I had applied to but was never accepted or rejected...Then they kept coming in, many from merchants I wasn't affiliated with...I wish I had a screen shot of what my mail program looked like with 900+ e-mails in my CJ folder..that's on top of the ones I deleted. I also get the feeling that all of us will continue to receive e-mails from all of the merchants...wait until Feb gets here and we all get the monthly newsletters, etc...Pretty soon, I just may have to filter all mail to our CJ address to just delete from the server.... :mad:

I also got that Lead Technologies welcome spam. Have no idea where it came from. This is getting worse by the day.

[ 01-17-1963: Message edited by: JFK ]

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    It took them awhile, but the Mystery Signup Poltergeists finally did it.

They put a real P.O.S. in my account. It's a fee-based games place which pays a whopping 70 CENTS per SALE! Bwaa ha ha [img]tongue.gif[/img] !! I know FOR SURE I never signed up for THAT!

It's called NX2.com. Here's the vital statistics--or lack thereof:

NO Dollar Signs
    3 month EPC: $0.18
    7 day EPC: $0.28
    Chargeback rate: 1.70% (Guess they don't need to Reverse what hardly ever happens)

Har har, they WISH they could get on my site! Unfortunately for them, I'm in business to make MONEY!

Well, their desperation-fueled trick of warping onto the account got them another affiliate for about 6 hours and 45 minutes (presuming they pulled that at midnight Pacific, when lots of scripts are set to auto-run). If I had been looking at my merchant list sooner they wouldn't have lasted that long!

As they say on that show, (directed at NX2) "You are the weakest link--Goodbye!"

21. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread