Internet Cowboy
    New Terms?
    A particular CJ merchant. I had just a few items of their's on my site.

Old terms:
    10% commission
    120 Day cookie
    Unlimited Occurrences

Proposed new terms:
    7% commission
    1 Day cookie
    Unlimited Occurrences

POOF!!! and they are gone!

Millionaire on training wheels Justdoit's Avatar
    Good grief, they must think we are all idiots..

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    What legitimate reason could they possibly have for dropping to a 1 day cookie?

UncleScooter, invite them to reply here...

If it's the merchant I think it is (and it seems to be based on the terms you list), they are getting ready to pack it in a leave cj.com and go out on their own.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    I say screw them, before they screw you again, regardless of where they go.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Senior Affiliate Manager AMWSO James - AMWSO's Avatar
    Definitely a case of: hello...good evening...welcome...and goodbye.

surely they would want to take their affiliates (at the very least their performing affiliates) with them rather than upset them all and start again from scratch. Doesn't make any sense to me.

Very odd move.
    James D. Nardell
    AMWSO.com Affiliate Management Team
    email: James.Nardell [@] AMWSO.com
    Phone: (805) 624-5669
    IM - Google/Skype: JamesNardell
    iolo technologies | Paychex | Personal VCard Website

Switching Programs
    Quote Originally Posted by dannicole2112
    If it's the merchant I think it is (and it seems to be based on the terms you list), they are getting ready to pack it in a leave cj.com and go out on their own.
    That's exactly the situation. We are making several changes company wide in October - including a redesigned site, adding/losing some product categories and changing Affiliate Programs. We will be phasing out CJ and introducing a new program. The first step in consolidation was triggered today - to get all our CJ Publishers under one (already existing) set of program terms, the one mentioned above.

The these program terms will apply to CJ only. Our new Affiliate Program will be announced in early October and will be better than this. Details to follow.

- B

Lesson learned. I am humbly reporting that we tried - and failed. The new program we attempted to launch has proven to be too problematic for affiliates and for us. Many affiliates have requested we keep our program at Commision Junction.

So I am announcing we're staying with CJ. If you are still running CJ links they will remain active and will not expire.

If you have already removed them I apologize for the
    inconvenience.

PROGRAM TERMS: Effective Wednesday February 15th our
    CJ Affiliate terms will rise to:

10% Commision per sale
    45 Day Cookie

We are in the midst of adding new graphics and links for your use. If you have any special request please feel free to email us.

We are loading tons of new merchandise to the site in February and will support our affiliates with appropriate graphics etc for upcoming pop-culture events this spring and summer.

Our aim, as always, is to have the best affiliate program possible. We took a wrong turn, but we're back on course.

Thanks again for your patience through this.

let's see . . . in September you tried to unglue all your affiliates and now it is February, the selling season has calmed down . . . was it worth it?

Quote Originally Posted by Herb ԿԬ
    let's see . . . in September you tried to unglue all your affiliates and now it is February, the selling season has calmed down . . . was it worth it?
    I've been an affiliate of WickedCool for many years; his affiliate program has always been excellent and he was always approachable and ready to deal with affiliate concerns. I like WickedCool because he has always made me feel as if my opinion (i.e. my e-mail communications through the CJ interface and in general) was worth his consideration.

I remember feeling that CJ was becoming greedy with the desire to sell affiliate feed for the $200 initiation (whatever you want to call it -- for the "little afilliate" the $200 demand is a rip-off -- that's my opinion, I know others will differ) and became aware of the possibility that CJ's "find products" capability was not at the level it once was (I thought it was best back in 2000). As generating links (especially during that September timeframe) became more difficult for me, I started to e-mail complaints to merchants through the CJ mail interface (something I check every day).

WickedCool felt my frustration and thought that a new affiliate program would offer easier access to every product he sells and encouraged me to join the new program which I did. The problem with the new program was that it entailed convoluted programming on the affiliate's part and then there was a downward spiral because there was that question: does the tracking stick?

I am happy that WickedCool has returned to CJ
    I look forward to working with WickedCool at CJ.

After my experience with the "in-house convoluted program" I have more appreciation for CJ and the network system as opposed to "in-house programs" but I still get irked when I can't find/generate individual products from CJ's system.
    Last edited by Rhia7; February 16th, 2006 at 01:23 AM.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Apologize with a GoldenCan feed and Akiva's Product Showcase Creator (PSC) if you want any new signups.

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Quote Originally Posted by ecomcity
    Apologize with a GoldenCan feed and Akiva's Product Showcase Creator (PSC) if you want any new signups.
    What is Akiva's Product Showcase Creator? Who has it?
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Cool
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhia7
    What is Akiva's Product Showcase Creator? Who has it?
    affsolutions is Akiva's development company, the Directory is here:
    http://www.afftools.com/psc/directory.html

it basically generates pages. The static version can be indexed by search engines, while the dynamic version gives you a few lines of code but stays current while there is nothing there to be seen by the SEs. However, some of the dPSCs for the merchants have a switch for generating hidden SEO code.

affsolutions is Akiva's development company, the Directory is here:
    http://www.afftools.com/psc/directory.html

it basically generates pages. The static version can be indexed by search engines, while the dynamic version gives you a few lines of code but stays current while there is nothing there to be seen by the SEs. However, some of the dPSCs for the merchants have a switch for generating hidden SEO code.
    Thank you for the definition.

Is there a merchant who uses this so I could see the example?
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

just go to the directory and pick a merchant you are interested in. If you have an affil ID with the merchant your result will be valid, otherwise you can still see what a result looks like. (put something in the box)

This is client-side: you use it and save the code to insert in your page.

The static version can be indexed by search engines, while the dynamic version gives you a few lines of code but stays current while there is nothing there to be seen by the SEs.
    We're looking into it - thanks for the recommend. I assume based on the above you prefer the static version?

It comes down to priorities - do more affiliates prefer a static version for search engines that may require more manual updating - or the dynamic version that will stay fresh. Being pop culture based our product comes and goes quickly - I would think the Dynamic might be an easier solution - given this particular product line.

But I'm open to suggestions.

Brett

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    The coolest thing would be a fully SE-readable, but auto-updating, setup.

It is possible to have this cake, and eat it too. I think Backcountry has something that'll do it. I haven't checked out their auto-updating solution, but if I recall right, it is visible to the SEs--unlike things like GoldenCan which present the bots with what appears to be (unrankable) blank space.

One problem you might have is getting it to be able to list every product and not just one category--and not end up with either a humongous single page, or a site with so much depth that the Googlebot would give up.

But with proper design, it should be quite possible to have an egg in your beer...
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Cool
    Quote Originally Posted by Leader
    The coolest thing would be a fully SE-readable, but auto-updating, setup.
    Definitely what the world needs now . . .

those with heavy traffic can use the dynamic pagemakers to good effect, although i think the SE's will eventually start dropping them on the lists.

as a collection of affiliates, I think we need both methods of pagemaking until the Next Best Thing comes along.

Quote Originally Posted by WickedCool
    We're looking into it - thanks for the recommend. I assume based on the above you prefer the static version?

It comes down to priorities - do more affiliates prefer a static version for search engines that may require more manual updating - or the dynamic version that will stay fresh. Being pop culture based our product comes and goes quickly - I would think the Dynamic might be an easier solution - given this particular product line.

But I'm open to suggestions.

Brett
    I like static product links because pages can be built around them: the specific picture of a product plus reviews -- I find that really works for me but I would be willing to have a page where the focus is on the reviews/text I would like to write and then to have complementary dynamic links on the side or in a secondary location.

Does it have to be an "either-or-deal?" Why not offer both?
    I'd prefer a focus on the static product links with a smaller offer of dynamic.
    Last edited by Rhia7; February 17th, 2006 at 03:03 PM.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Based on your requests we've done it. I'm proud to announce we've just launched Product Showcase Creator in BOTH Dynamic and Static versions!

Emails were sent a moment ago to all current affiliates with the announcement.

Brett

Good move, and hopefully you'll protect those better forcused PSC showcase cookied clicks from any forces out there not needing any return day cookies.

Well we certainly value those targeted clicks and content oriented sites most of all.

What sort of "Protection" did you have in mind?

I can't say that I have guys named Vinnie and Rocco to send over to rough up and unscrupulous webmasters...

Quote Originally Posted by WickedCool
    Well we certainly value those targeted clicks and content oriented sites most of all.

What sort of "Protection" did you have in mind?

I can't say that I have guys named Vinnie and Rocco to send over to rough up and unscrupulous webmasters...
    LOL... those characters are disguised as must have Super Affiliates with their nifty BHO's and domain protection rackets.

WickedCool -

Is affiliate tracking in place for sales that occur when customers cross over to socheapithurts.com? That would be wicked cool.

25. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread