Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Unhappy Affiliate Managers: the down fall for AM
    In My Opinion, Affiliate Managers are resonsibile for the downfall of affiliate marketing. Only about 5 percent email any updated links. How do they expect us to magically login when they place a new link? This causes and uproar for shoppers trying to get a special deal that, unannouced to the affiliate and shopper, the link expired 2 months ago. If any business is serious about Affiliate Marketing, they must Hire some one that does what they are phucking doing!!! I believe the affiliate networks are just as responsible because these networks fail to train affiliate managers

It seems most affiliate managers out there do so "part time" in addition to their other duties, like Marketing Manager. They fail to take it seriously and their program and affiliates suffer. Case in I was an affiliate of a high performance PC maker and could not even get a reply to an email. Even after over $800,000 in sales I still couldn't get a reply. The checks were good but I didn't want to heavily promote a merchant who won't even talk to me. If they weren't serious about their affiliate program, why should I be serious about it? I think most affiliate managers fail to realize this important If you're not serious about your program, why should your affiliates promote it? Affiliates invest their time and money in a program. How many really want to invest in a "part-time" program?
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

Affiliate Manager
    Netnow and Greg,

I agree with your comments. I also feel alot of affiliate manages are inexperienced. They are thrown into the "position" and asked to do the basics along with other marketing tasks. If an affiliate manager has no affiliate management or affiliate experience, the program will suffer until the AM learns the basics. Effective communication is one of those basics.
    Shawn - Nature Hills Nursery, Inc.
    Contact Info: aol im: sms10221975 | shawn"at"naturehills.com | icq: 106-663-985
    Join the Nature Hills affiliate program now | Earn 15% per sale | 365-day Cookie

Affiliate marketing is a very new industry and it takes time to develop professionals in any field.

Since some of the google updates that have seemed to change everything, I've focussed my websites and my affiliate programs. I've curtailed many of the marginal programs and spent a great deal of time developing truly unique niches.

One of the variables I consider, is the quality of the AM, their tenure with the program, and their willingness to work with me. I've found their responses to be wonderful. Making friends always seems to make the day brighter.

I've only been in AM 2.5 years, but have seen things change so dramatically. There is a very steep learning curve and it keeps getting steeper every day. I think affiliate mgrs, many of whom never considered doing this, are feeling the same way.

All the Best,

Jazz Times.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazz Times
    Affiliate marketing is a very new industry and it takes time to develop professionals in any field.
    How hard is this to learn? "You need to tell affiliates about updated offers, or they will not post it"

Quote Originally Posted by netnow22
    How hard is this to learn? "You need to tell affiliates about updated offers, or they will not post it"
    If that's all there was to it, there would be many "good" affiliate managers. New creative is only a small part of that job. I don't think it's because they don't want to learn but that the merchant either isn't willing to dedicate the proper resources or doesn't see affiliate marketing for what it can be.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Rice
    If that's all there was to it, there would be many "good" affiliate managers.
    Well 90% of my merchants dont now this! So maybe thier is not as many as you think

Well 90% of my merchants dont now this! So maybe thier is not as many as you think
    I don't think there is that many, which was my point. If 10% of your affiliate managers are "good" then you're probably better off than most. I think my "good" number was probably like 2 or 3% if that.

For those AMs who just don't get it, recommend Andy's class.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Andy Rodriguez's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by affaction shawn
    Netnow and Greg,

I also feel alot of affiliate manages are inexperienced. They are thrown into the "position" and asked to do the basics along with other marketing tasks. If an affiliate manager has no affiliate management or affiliate experience, the program will suffer until the AM learns the basics.
    We have the answer.....

http://www.andyrodriguez.com/Affilia...-Miami-05.html

Ask the ones that attended the first one....

IMO, The more training AM's have, the better the industry will become for affiliates and merchants alike....
    Andy Rodriguez Consulting, Affiliate Program Management and Consulting Services, Since 2001
    www.andyrodriguez.com | E: abw@andyrodriguez.com | P: (888) 931-ANDY (2639) | Skype: affiliatedoctor | AIM & MSN: AffiliateDoctor | Subscribe To Our ABW Forum Posts | Follow me on Twitter | Join Our Affiliate Programs

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Rodriguez
    We have the answer.....

IMO, The more training AM's have, the better the industry will become for affiliates and merchants alike....
    Yup, if you have a clueless AM encourage them to attend Andy's class and learn how to do it right. Like Andy teaches, you need a win-win. If you're affiliate manager attends and learns how to do it right, the merchant wins and the affiliates win.

Outsourced Program Manager Jorge - SHOPiMAR's Avatar
    Affiliate Managers: the down fall for AM
    This could be true if some AM's don't start taking charge and make final descisions and anything that happens affiliate related they must know first before it is done or changed.

The problem is where the CEO or President/Owner has no direct communication with the AM sometimes or the AM has to go through hoops, the marketing dept or some manager first, or call the network for suggestions, and not directly tied in to any relevant meetings, etc about changes going on within their business/store.

An affiliate marketing program is a great business decision and model for any merchant to adapt, it can even be 80% of their business and the future is still bright for this business, if run properly with testing and tweaking each day.

Until merchants let their AM take full charge of their program where they can really make final decisions based on feedback from their respected and trusted ethical affiliates there will always be backwards run programs. Affiliate marketing is totally different than just having a marketing dept or advertising dept and we need 3 months to decide.

I think the first step in a successful Affiliate Marketing program is where the AM demands, or politely states that, if merchant must have an affiliate program the AM and should have direct say so in who, what, when and where the Affiliate program is run that will benefit their program. If the AM is new, after another AM left a good program and the owner/president does not feel right to let the new AM take charge yet, then 1) abw daily must read even if just lurking, but should interact sometimes 2) attend Andy's seminar or ethical affiliate marketing event or networking event 3) it is not a 9-5 job, be ready by phone or email even on nights and weekends and you must communicate this to your boss that even though they are paying you a salary you must also be kind of your own boss and let them be flexible with your regular hours so as you are not board and spending your days thinking, "I can't wait to to go home". Then when you do go home, afiiliate related business is the last thing you want to hear from or even repond to affiliates.

If you are an ethical AM new or experienced, take charge of your program today. If you are reading this and other threads and posts, you already know more than the majority, have most of the knowledge needed to make it work. If you are not sure, start asking questions here on ABW and contact an affiliate in your program once in a while and get feedback.

If no one will listen, find another program or carreer, but don't just sit there and see it as another job.

Can't aways blame the CEO/ president owners either, of course there are those un-ethical experienced AMs that take them for a ride and hide information from their boss making the program good but for their own benefit not the actual program or their affiliates in general.

Sorry for long opinion based reply.

Even after over $800,000 in sales I still couldn't get a reply
    They should have bent over backwards for you with results like that.
    [B][COLOR=Red]I look forward to Google's demise[/COLOR][/B]
    Look who is suing Google - [URL=http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=google+gets+sued]click here[/URL] and [URL=http://search.msn.com/results.aspx?q=google+gets+sued&FORM=MSNH&srch_type=0]here[/URL] and [URL=http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=google+gets+sued&fr=FP-tab-web-t&toggle=1&cop=&ei=UTF-8]here[/URL]

I would have been happy for a simple reply to email and acknowledge that I do exist.

ABW Ambassador
    I thought this was going to be another affiliate marketing dying thread

I'm suprised that even experiencd AM's can't even keep their creative straight. One of my pet peeves when going to get links. Never understood why it's so hard to remove outdated links from the creative.

[QUOTE=Andy Rodriguez]We have the answer.....

[QUOTE]

SO where is your affiliate program ?, Andy? I have a mailing list of about 1000 that need am training.

I would love to attend the seminar, just so i could go out and train other affiliate managers.

Influencer Marketing GravityFed's Avatar
    ~ gary clears his throat to get everyone's attention ~

that's it... nothing more.

And then there are the managers who get kicked around here in ABW for sending out emails to their affiliates about upcoming promotions, new coupons, deleted items, etc.

I've seen more than one experienced person here cry 'SPAM' when all the manager was doing was updating the affiliate on the program that *they* joined.

Frank
    "Just the facts, Ma'am." Sgt. Joe Friday, Dragnet

ABW Ambassador
    I wouldn't pay any attention to an affiliate who cries SPAM because they got a newsletter from a merchant they joined. My email is wide open for newsletters. And if it's something i don't need, clicking delete takes but a second.

This may be off topic, but what makes a good Affiliate Manager? Is it just knowing the right contacts, or is it the personality?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by rampguy
    This may be off topic, but what makes a good Affiliate Manager?
    Addressing every need/question an affiliate might have! In respectful and understanding manner, I should add.

Geno

Outsourced Program Manager Jorge - SHOPiMAR's Avatar
    Is it just knowing the right contacts, or is it the personality?
    personality

In My Opinion, Affiliate Managers are resonsibile for the downfall of affiliate marketing.
    Is there a downfall in the AM industry? Tell me 'bout it.

Geno

Yeah the cookie is crumbling as we speak!

lurk
    One of my initial thoughts was that that phrase is a pretty bold statement. Although, I'm sure he just meant a handicap, not downfall.
    Jason

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast