Merchants that take time to approve - how do you handle it?
    I have this one merchant that I am deperate to get their products up on one of my sites. I've applied twice now and still have a pending status. I've emailed them about it and have not recieved any reply. Normally I would go and find somebody else to sign up with however this is a big area on the internet but with very few affiliate programs for it. So it's either this merchant or their competetor on CJ that I'm currently using and want to get rid or because I know that all sales are not tracking for them and plus the commisions are better. How would you handle this, I've located the phone number for thier business and am debating on whether to call or not.

Personally, I think this is a preview of what you're in for if you are accepted.
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

Angry
    Yeah, I know. Really bums me because it's seems to be either ignore affiliates or the one who love parasites.

Yeah, I've had this problem a number of times with SAS merchants. If you can't get their attention they aren't worth the effort to promote.

The latest one I couldn't get the attention of was "The Motor Book Store". So, they don't get my business.
    Travelin' Man

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will lead you there." -- unknown

This isn't a problem particular to SAS merchants, I've seen this with LS, CJ and indie merchants as well. It's with the merchant's mindset and not with the network.
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

Greg is correct; this isn't just SAS merchants...it is based on the merchant's view of the affiliate program: neccessary evil, addition to revenue, or source of revenue.

In the cases where you don't get a reply, I hope for the merchant's sake that they view the affiliate program as one of the first two possibilities.

Me? I'm still waiting on Kid's First LLC to give me FTP access so I can immediately begin selling all their products -- it sucks when you have a fully built site with backend code ready to switch over to a new affiliate program, but have to wait for the AM to say "hey...this guy wants to give us business."

Cygnus

Affiliate Manager
    Well, from a merchant point of view, I will say every now and then I get an affiliate that applies that doesn't even have a functional website. Those affiliates I will keep pending for a week or so, and I'll send them an email just to let them know (sometimes I get the feeling they've just slipped on their hosting payment or something simple like that).

One thing that I can fault (again from the merchant's point of view) ShareASale for is when an affiliate requests FTP access, it is not flagged within my merchant screen. Pending affiliates are flagged, but active affiliates requesting FTP access look the same as those that haven't requested FTP access. It becomes quite a hassle sometimes sifting through all my affiliates to find the select ones that have actively requested FTP access. Sorry, didn't mean to run off topic, but it occurred to me as its a slightly similar issue.

I think Greg hit it on the money - it seems like a merchant that isn't proactively managing their affiliate program.

Best of luck,

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dave@HomeofDecor.com
    I think Greg hit it on the money - it seems like a merchant that isn't proactively managing their affiliate program.
    Amen, Dave.

Move on.

or check to see if they have a program with someone else.
    I disagree with Kay Jewelers. I would bet on any given Friday or Saturday night more kisses begin with Bud Lite than Kay.

Somtimes a quick e-mail or phone call helps too -- Dave from HomeofDecor was able to explain the SAS delay on the datafeed turnaround on another site I was building...that kind of rapid response goes a long way to placating jittery affiliates like me.

ABW Ambassador
    I'm still waiting on Kid's First LLC to give me FTP access so I can immediately begin selling all their products
    They have had broken images in the SAS interface for getting product links for months. I finally wrote an email (from within SAS) and heard back from the webmaster (not an AM) who said he checked the images on the site and they were fine - he didn't have a clue. I had fully explained but explained again. Never heard back, and the images were all still broken last I looked.

Don't hold your breath with them; there hasn't been evidence of them having any kind of a serious commitment to relationships with affiliates. I did a little checking on them and they appear to be the same outfit that's behind some potty training thing at SAS - Rexanne did a post on that one a month or so ago, you can do a search for it.

Exclamation Waiting for merchants to approve FTP access.....
    Why do we even need to request FTP access for each merchant if the feed is still available in our account ("pages format") after joining?

There are a number of merchants who I have requested FTP access from, a number of times, with no response. Are these lousy merchants or is there a tech problem (i.e. email request is sent to is not valid)?

Talking
    Quote Originally Posted by greeneyes14j
    I have this one merchant that I am deperate to get their products up on one of my sites. I've applied twice now and still have a pending status. I've emailed them about it and have not recieved any reply. Normally I would go and find somebody else to sign up with however this is a big area on the internet but with very few affiliate programs for it. So it's either this merchant or their competetor on CJ that I'm currently using and want to get rid or because I know that all sales are not tracking for them and plus the commisions are better. How would you handle this, I've located the phone number for thier business and am debating on whether to call or not.
    I don't use them. I only use merchants that respond to me when I want to work on my sites.

I need a merchant then. Not 6 months later.

If they were interested in doing business with you they would let you know right away.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

In my opinion, this is one of the most frustrating things about dealing with merchants. They go to the trouble and expense of having an affiliate program, they pay network charges to participate, then they don't even bother to approve new affiliates!

I agree it's a preview of what you're in for with them, so it's best to just move on if you can find another merchant with the products you want.

Then, when you do hear from them in a year or two, tell them you got tired of waiting to hear from them, and that they ARE DOING A LOUSY JOB! Be sure to tell them how much money you've made in the meantime for their competition!

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by Travelin Man
    Yeah, I've had this problem a number of times with SAS merchants. If you can't get their attention they aren't worth the effort to promote.

The latest one I couldn't get the attention of was "The Motor Book Store". So, they don't get my business.
    I have the same problem with this merchant... guess they dont want us to send them sales... I'm using Amazon for auto books...

If this merchant ever gets a clue... I decide if i still want to work with them...

I do agree with others... I find that many merchants signup with ShareaSale put up a few banners and text links... and think the have a killer affiliate program...

Till, I find them and attempt to enlighten them... at first I was trying to educate them... now I send an email and state my disappointment in their lack of affiliate tools.. and pose the question... do you want one link on my website or hundreds of pages of links???
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    that's my2cents, 'cuz I'm a legend in my own mind....

Quote Originally Posted by my2cents
    I do agree with others... I find that many merchants signup with ShareaSale put up a few banners and text links... and think the have a killer affiliate program...
    I have some merchants like that and often wonder if they think I'm not producing favorable results because I'm not doing my job right.

I mean a measly banner or two, no text links, no products, no datafeeds...etc. Who's not doing their job me (the aff) or the merchant and their AM?

A linked banner
    That's a link exchange with the potential to make money...maybe!

Rant and vent over. I feel better now

As to the original question: I sometimes wait depending on how desperate I am for the products. Other times, I quit shortly after they approve
    Never argue with an idiot.
    The person watching, may not be able to tell the difference!

:female: :star: :envelope: [url="http://www.bridalbasics.ca/"]:weddingca[/url]

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread