How long should articles be?
    I often think that the articles I write for my site are too long.

Some sites that I see, extend the articles out to other pages. So at what point should I think about doing this?

I know I should keep them short enough to retain interest but what is too short?

Another kind of weird question.....is there something around that will count words? I go nuts whenever I see something that says "in 500 words or less", because I have not ever been able to visualize a number of words.
    I disagree with Kay Jewelers. I would bet on any given Friday or Saturday night more kisses begin with Bud Lite than Kay.

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Suzie,

In WORD you can find your article word count in the "tools" field (top/left). If you're not using WORD, I dunno.

I try to keep my articles around 750 words. I'm long-winded so editing is a must. :-) Also, for re-printing, most newsletter publishers like 750 word count or less. If you have a lot of good, relevant information, write more. Just try to break up the sentences and paragraphs to make it appear easier to read. Bullets work really well if you can list things, too.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

If it's long, you might consider organizing it really good and breaking it up into multiple pages. Look at HowStuffWorks.com for some great examples.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Like a woman's skirt. Long enough to cover the essentials, short enough to be interesting

Sean

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanW
    Like a woman's skirt. Long enough to cover the essentials, short enough to be interesting

Sean

OK, I'll believe you Sean. Sounds reasonable. :-)
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

I see length of an article mentioned quite a bit, but I'll share a tip I learned in graphic arts classes in college...

Length can be important... but the width of the article's paragraphs needs to be sort of thin. So, that the eye doesn't have to follow a line for a long time, and then find where the sentence starts again on the next line. Make them skinny and they will be easier on your reader's eyes... and more likely to be read. This trick is from newspaper and magazine layout, but seems important on the web too! Your readers will thank you!
    M.M. "Trey" Hocker III
    [url=http://www.build-a-home-bar.com]Build a Home Bar[/url]

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread