Sites Listed in Wikipedia
    I was doing a search the other day checking out my listings in the SE's. Wikipedia showed up when I searched for info about what my site is based on. I admit that I never even heard of wikipedia until then. Anyways when I went to the page on their site there was an article about the contest with stats and information of which a lot of it came from my site. Better yet there was a link to my website also. The site never has and probably never will make money but I thought that was pretty cool to be in an encyclopedia I'm curious as to how big and popular Wikipedia is???

Wikipedia is huge....over 10million uniques per month according to MediaMetrix.

I have one site that is listed all over the place in Wikipedia, but I don't really seem to get that much traffic from them. It also doesn't appear that links from Wikipedia bear much weight with the SEs. At least, in my case, I'm not seeing it.

Of course, it could just be that the topic of this particular site isn't all that popular, relatively speaking.

Andy

The idea behind Wikipedia is a free human participating growing encyclopedia. Will always remains free, big, and don't expect a lot of visit from there, cause visitors are searching for information, they rarely look at the source(usually web pages) of the encyclopedia articles

I suppose your data are not copyrighted since they copied your web site!
    "Effective people are not problem-minded; they're opportunity minded. They feed opportunities and starve problems."

Quote Originally Posted by jeeper
    Wikipedia is huge....over 10million uniques per month according to MediaMetrix.
    Dang thats a lot of traffic! Thanks Jeeper.

I don't expect much if any traffic from them. I just thought it was pretty cool to be there. The contest is regional in CNY and thats where most of the traffic comes from!

As for the material being copyrighted I do have something at the bottom. Because of the news media interested in the contest I have a page that states that the media and other people interested in using the material on the website are free to do so as long as they don't misrepresent the info and that they get the stats right. I think I state something like a mention of the website and name of the owner would be appreciated. Hey what can I say? I like to see my name in print

Exclamation
    you don't have to claim copyright -- anything you publish that is done uniquely by you is automatically copyrighted.

better to claim it, though.

it'll still be ignored by many.

I've got a couple sites listed in Wikipedia and the links generate *some* traffic, but not a whole lot. I think the weight of the link is pretty decent and can help search engine rankings. I'd like to think certain categories or keywords generate more traffic than others, but these high traffic pages are also more difficult to get listed on. I've added links to these pages to have them removed a day later. It's sort of like a newer DMOZ and much more useful.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

ABW Ambassador
    Unlike DMOZ anyone can edit, without even registering. But the system has a good feedback system for self-control. If the stuff is copyright protected and you do not want it listed, just click edit the page, remove it and say why. Its that simple.

Chet

I read somewhere that Wikipedia had started using the rel="nofollow" argument on external links, but I can't see that in the source code.

It's possible that Google assigns a "has PageRank but cannot pass it" penalty to the site.

I've had a small amount of traffic from Wikipedia where I have listings (just a couple). It's a rapidly growing resource because it's informative, fun and usually accurate. It kind of reminds the of the Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

I would think that Wikipedia is the kind of site that Google wants to assign weight to on outbound links.

I have one site listed in Wikipedia, and that seems to be the one site that Google has decided to give a PR0 (at least on the index)...

I've wondered if it might be due to the huge number of sites using Wikipedia content. You end up with links from a million different sites, all with the same content.

Aside from my suspicions that it's trashed PR on one of my sites, I like Wikipedia quite a bit and use it for research.
    Eathan Mertz

Black Cat Mining - Gold Prospecting & Rockhounding Equipment

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Chocolate_Chicken
    I would think that Wikipedia is the kind of site that Google wants to assign weight to on outbound links.
    Agreed the self-monitoring assures that most links are valid and helpful. I have not seen any spam last very long. It really is a remarkable system/community.

Chet

The good thing about wikipedia is that anyone can edit it. The bad thing about wikipedia is that anyone can edit it.

Yes, you can put your own links there, but be prepared for some self-righteous tw@t to come along and erase it ... or your competition. I have a site there which is doing ok - it's a content site with lots of good information, and the site gets bookmarked at a high rate. Of course, some tw@t came along an erased the link. Of course I put it back and vowed to keep putting it back until he gave up.

I had another site which is even "less comericial" than the first, and is one of the leaders in my industry. I put a link up (VERY useful for people looking for info in that industry), and of course you know what happened.

I sell nothing on these two sites that I mentioned; I simply used adsense. The problem with the self-righteous wiki crowd is that they act as if a site with ANY ads whatsoever is a "bad" site. And yet, I'm sure they take money for whatever it is they "work" at. I won't be wasting much of my time with the wiki sites. Too many angry, frustrated, projecting a-holes with nothing better to do trolling around.

I checked my stats again, and I'm surprised to say I AM getting referrals from Wiki. More than I thought, although nothing earth-shattering.

At any rate, I wanted to add this since I had posted earlier I didn't get much traffic from Wiki. As it turns out, I do get more than I thought!

(Still not as much as you'd think from a site with such high traffic levels, but it could be the subject matter.)

Andy

good

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread