Center or Centre ?
    I'm trying to decide on a domain name that has to do with health and I can't decide whether to use Center or Centre in its name!!

I thought using centre made it sound more cosmopolitan and since most beauty and health secrets come from europe it might appeal more.

I'm stumped...
    Anyone with any thoughts on this?
    Suz~~GearGirl~~

Depends on the market. If you're targeting US customers and plan to have word-of-mouth make up good chunk of your business, then spelling it how the bulk of your customers do would make sense. If not, 'centre' has a bit of flair. Try different logo designs and see which spelling works visually...
    Eathan Mertz

Black Cat Mining - Gold Prospecting & Rockhounding Equipment

Whichever way you go, make sure to register both and redirect one to the other.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

I'd use center, as the US (and Canada) is dominant on the overall market...

"Centre" can come across as a bit affected, so keep that in mind as well. Might turn off a few visitors.

Andy

Good point Micheal.

I guess I can register both like you suggested and which ever looks better graphically I'll use. Canada uses centre instead of center I believe?

But most of my traffic is US based.

I don't know how much importance a domain name really plays when selling products. I usually have my eyes focused on the product and usability of the site and barely take note of the domain name.

But I don't shop online very much!!Go figure...I sell plenty though! lol
    Suz~~GearGirl~~

ABW Ambassador
    i would get both domains.... and redirect one to the other of course.

just to let you know centre is the correct work -although i use the word center...- centre comes from the greek work centro or kentro, nevertheless as language involves throughout the years and centre is listened by many as center both are used and both are correct

- Neil dont start moaning...i had to justify the money paid by my parents all those years.... LOL -

When in Rome...
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy
    "Centre" can come across as a bit affected, so keep that in mind as well. Might turn off a few visitors.

Andy
    I have to say, I think centre does look much nicer than center but that could just be because in Australia where I live (and quite a few other countries around the world) that's seen as the correct spelling. But I better be careful from now on, didn't realise (oops realize) it might come across as a bit affected

But really, if you're targeting the US market, I would definitely use center. It'll help having it as a keyword in your domain name for search engine traffic (not sure to what extent it counts these days but it still counts) and it'll also help with type-in traffic. Use the spelling that your visitors use, or do as Michael suggests and register both names, but I would redirect the domain name with centre in it to the one using center, not the other way around.

I actually went through exactly the same thing a few years back having to decide whether to use centre or center when registering a domain name. I chose center because of the reasons above and it worked out well for me.

Good Luck suzi
    [left][font=Arial]"If you come to a fork in the road, take it" - Yogi Berra [/font][/left]

Quote Originally Posted by Geno - RussianLegacy
    I'd use center, as the US (and Canada) is dominant on the overall market...
    We use centre here most often but we've adjusted well to using the "er" format as well.

(I'm in Ontario so not really sure if other parts of Canada are much different)
    Never argue with an idiot.
    The person watching, may not be able to tell the difference!

:female: :star: :envelope: [url="http://www.bridalbasics.ca/"]:weddingca[/url]

My husband said to use center as he thought centre was snooty...I don't mind snooty though - but I will register both and use center.

As far as keyword goes center doesn't really relate to the products - I'm going for branding on this site...new approach for me.

Thanks All
    Suz~~GearGirl~~

Quote Originally Posted by suzigeek

As far as keyword goes center doesn't really relate to the products - I'm going for branding on this site...new approach for me.

Thanks All
    I think you'll find you will benefit from using center in your domain name whether it relates to your products or not. It's a good keyword to have because people tend to use it in keyword phrases when searching for products or brands and that helps. That's what I've found anyway.
    [left][font=Arial]"If you come to a fork in the road, take it" - Yogi Berra [/font][/left]

Personally, I'd go for Center (even though here in Oz it's correctly 'centre'), for the reasons said above (US market is much more dominant).

Of course, another thing you could do is check out Wordtracker or the Overture(Yahoo) keyword suggestion tool and see which word is queried more often, centre or center.
    At least it'll help knowing that, for any future SEO or other efforts.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    Great suggestion!

I always thought that Centre was the european way of saying it and Center is the american way of saying the same word

Google :-

Results 1 - 10 of about 2,870,000,000 for center
    Results 1 - 10 of about 497,000,000 for centre

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread