Question on Match Function of MySql
    I have been using the Match function of MySql for my search. I read somewhere that the Match function will disregard words that are too short and words that appear too many times.

My question is how to overide this feature of Match(). I need to show search terms even if they appear a lot of times in the database.

I don't know the answer but here is an important part in the mysql documentation that you should read I think. I hope it'll help you.

Any word that is too short is ignored. The default minimum length of words that are found by full-text searches is four characters.

Words in the stopword list are ignored. A stopword is a word such as “the” or “some” that is so common that it is considered to have zero semantic value. There is a built-in stopword list, but it can be overwritten by a user-defined list. See Section 12.7.4, “Fine-Tuning MySQL Full-Text Search ”.

The default minimum word length and stopword list can be changed as described in Section 12.7.4, “Fine-Tuning MySQL Full-Text Search ”.

Every correct word in the collection and in the query is weighted according to its significance in the collection or query. This way, a word that is present in many documents has a lower weight (and may even have a zero weight), because it has lower semantic value in this particular collection. Conversely, if the word is rare, it receives a higher weight. The weights of the words are then combined to compute the relevance of the row.
    "Effective people are not problem-minded; they're opportunity minded. They feed opportunities and starve problems."

You have to change some parameters and restart the MySQL server.

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/fu...ne-tuning.html
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

ABW Ambassador
    Another good thing to do, because MySQL will not do this for you - check for smaller word sizes in the user input and disregard them. Giving the user feedback on this is always good (and something I keep meaning to do but must admit haven't always).

Chet

I ended up lowering my minimum word size down to 1 letter because I have some 1 letter products (like "W Magazine"). I haven't noticed any downside to doing that. It might make the index a little bigger, but disk space is cheap.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

If you use a boolean fulltext search, you can get around the problem of ignored words due to repetition. So if a word appears more than 50% of the time, it'll still have some weight in the search query.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread