Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    The Thin White Duke PreacherMan's Avatar
    Decrease in traffic
    Anybody else seeing a decrease in traffic. Yesterday my traffic slowed to a trickle. Very worrying
    Keep on learning, keep on earning. :fan:

Quote Originally Posted by PreacherMan
    Anybody else seeing a decrease in traffic. Yesterday my traffic slowed to a trickle. Very worrying
    Everything seems normal so far. Where does most of your traffic come from? My Google traffic hasn't changed substantially since 2004. I think the changes lately are very minor compared to what we've seen in the past. Yahoo has some ups and downs every few months, but it's never anything huge like Google is capable of. All-in-all, my return and word of mouth traffic has increased quite a bit. I rely on it more than anything now and am proud of that fact.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

The majority of the traffic is from Google Scott. The really bizarre thing is that using McDar's datacenter checking tool (http://www.mcdar.net/Q-Check/datatool.asp), my ranking appear unaffected on ALL datacenters.

It's almost as if it is a server side issue or DNS issue. It is like people can still find my site in Google SERPS but cannot access the site, therefore my stats don't show it. I restarted my server and did a traceroute on my site from State-side and everything appears fine. Of course it's not, something is up

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    I don't notice any changes in google traffic anymore since they took most of it away a while back.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Ditto. That's the great thing about word of mouth traffic. Nobody can take that away.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

ABW Ambassador
    Mine didn't slow yesterday, but it has slowed to less than a dribble today. It's definitely due to Yahoo on my site.

Looks like I had a full 11 hours of downtime grrrr. No wonder the traffic slowed to nothing.

Sorry if I worried you guys.

I still don't understand how Google works? I have lots of their adsense ads and still cannot get into the category I should be in when I search out my keywords. What is a mirror site?

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mailman
    I still don't understand how Google works? I have lots of their adsense ads and still cannot get into the category I should be in when I search out my keywords. What is a mirror site?
    Adsense neither helps nor hurts you. A mirror site is just a duplicate site on a different domain - it is useful as a backup but can get you penalized really bad in the search results.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Mine was okay yesterday.

Geno

Question
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead
    I don't notice any changes in google traffic anymore since they took most of it away a while back.
    I know that feeling well. Wonder how to combat it.

Exclamation
    Quote Originally Posted by mailman
    a site that duplicates copy that can be found at another site. it is possible to have a mirror page, also, if not enough difference for their purposes.

theoretically google selects one of the duplicate sites for being nice to and can virtually ignore any others.

There is definitely something going on at Google again!! I also noticed this morning that my traffic from Google is decreasing and some of my pages that were in the top positions for months now are off the radar screen again. I sincerely hope that this is just a temporary shift and that things will settle down again, as I really could not handle the fiasco that happened with the December 2004 upgrade. That upgrade hurt me big time.

Outsourced Program Manager tmartini's Avatar
    Looks like another major update is underway:

http://www.webmasterworld.com/forum30/31072-1-10.htm

I noticed things changing around midnight PST last night. It looks an awful lot like things were rolled back to pre-February 2005, so those of you who lost rankings during that update might see them come back. For the rest of us, we'll just have to see how it shakes out.

-- Todd
    Todd Martini
    Digital Marketing Manager
    Jones Soda Co.
    Follow Me on Twitter

I actually noticed a slight increase in traffic for my most stable and long standing website. I'm only seeing maybe a 5% to 15% increase in traffic, but that's pretty considerable for this site. It's Google traffic has been about the same for almost two years now.

- Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy
    There is definitely something going on at Google again!! I also noticed this morning that my traffic from Google is decreasing and some of my pages that were in the top positions for months now are off the radar screen again. I sincerely hope that this is just a temporary shift and that things will settle down again, as I really could not handle the fiasco that happened with the December 2004 upgrade. That upgrade hurt me big time.
    Same here. Google traffic began slowing yesterday. My #1's are now #10's and many of my other top ten rankings have gone way down or disappeared. I'm also hoping this is not going to be a repeat pre-holiday fiasco like last year. Makes ya wonder.
    ~Ernie

Action Jackson - King of the World
    I actually like it LOL
    I seem to be where I should be again

Quote Originally Posted by erninator
    Same here. Google traffic began slowing yesterday. My #1's are now #10's and many of my other top ten rankings have gone way down or disappeared. I'm also hoping this is not going to be a repeat pre-holiday fiasco like last year. Makes ya wonder.
    I'm trying hard here not to panic, but from what I'm seeing so far it makes the December 2004 upgrade look like a Sunday school picnic. This appears to be far worse. It took me about 7 months before I got my traffic back from the last one - I just hope it's not going to take that long this time round as Halloween and Christmas are just around the corner! Damn you Google

Hi All, Hi CheeseHead,

Traffic, what's that?... Just thought I cheer You guys up a little.

Love You,
    HumbleFish

Quote Originally Posted by HumbleFish
    Hi All, Hi CheeseHead,

Traffic, what's that?... Just thought I cheer You guys up a little.

Love You,
    HumbleFish
    Traffic is maybe something that is coming YOUR WAY now that it's been taken away from some of us. . I wonder if Google have ever given any thought to the fact that, when they do this, it affects their Adsense revenue? Right now they are losing big bucks from my adsense ads as this upgrade is affecting my highest traffic pages.

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy
    Traffic is maybe something that is coming YOUR WAY now that it's been taken away from some of us. . I wonder if Google have ever given any thought to the fact that, when they do this, it affects their Adsense revenue? Right now they are losing big bucks from my adsense ads as this upgrade is affecting my highest traffic pages.
    I don't think Google has to worry about that as much as Yahoo Publisher. I've switched 95% of my AdSense ads out now because Yahoo pays so much more. Now that's what Google needs to worry about

- Scott

Oh yeah...MAJOR drop in traffic starting yesterday. About 2/3 of my traffic (all from Google) is gone. We're talking about several thousand unique visitors each day! Only a few searches, mainly Google images, showing in my stats.

I call it the 'Google Roller Coaster Ride'. This happens to us every three months - consistantly for the past year. I knew it would happen and anticipated it. I don't expect to see my normal traffic again until perhaps mid December to early January.

Do I sweat it? Only briefly, as I know it has nothing to do with my site. But it ticks me off big time, as I would love to continue to enjoy 'the lifestyle to which I have grown accostomed to' in the past few months. And with the holidays in the near future it makes for a bummer 'ride'.
    Arizona Deb
    [URL=http://www.azwoodman.com/]azWoodman.com[/URL]

Ditto for me... I logged into Adsense this morning and it was like a punch in the gut! I had a measly $0.63 by 8 am and I'm typically at $5-$10 by that time.

I then queried Google to see if our pages were in there... chirp, chirp... way down beyond the 50th spot on terms that were guaranteed #1 listings for YEARS and YEARS.

We've cornered the market on outdoor gear reviews and now our reviews are nowhere to be found. Sucks big time.

I've been playing with a few affiliate feeds from Backcountry.com since the beginning of the summer and it appears that has gotten me into trouble. Any others with affiliate feeds getting booted?

I've been VERY careful to surround the data feeds with unique content so that googlebot can't figure it out. But, it appears that they may be doing some sort of text matching across affiliates to look for similar word strings. Just a hunch, but I'm moving ALL my affiliate data feeds to another site from now on. I can't afford to hose my traffic that I've worked so hard to build.

Quote Originally Posted by tmartini
    Looks like another major update is underway:

http://www.webmasterworld.com/forum30/31072-1-10.htm

I noticed things changing around midnight PST last night. It looks an awful lot like things were rolled back to pre-February 2005, so those of you who lost rankings during that update might see them come back. For the rest of us, we'll just have to see how it shakes out.

-- Todd
    If they would just roll it back to January 2004 that would work for me. Man, I'm going on 2 years now without Google Maybe I should go look at the new update. Nahh, I t took me too long to get over that Google Dance addiction

I am sorry to hear about any of you losing your listings though. Hopefully it is just a temp thing for ya's!

If they would just roll it back to January 2004 that would work for me.
    Geez Packy. If they did that you and I would both be making money faster than they can print it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast