Problems making 4 Tier Site
    Having a lot of trouble getting subcategory pages right.

The category page is fine, product listing ok, details are no problem either but for some reason I can't seem to get the subcatories down pat.

The settings I'm using are sort by subcategory and name pages by category.

What's happening is that the pages start over and bump off links to put new ones in and I end up with only 1 or 2 links on each page. I've tried every conceivable combination of sort-by, name-by, with IndexLabel, without IndexLabel, etc. but still no luck. Other settings either give the same links over and over or only 1 or 2 links.

I've read both excellent tutorials following step-by-step and use the Tag Maker too.

What on earth am I doing wrong???
    I've been pulling my hair out with this for 3 days and nights!

Thanks!

I may not be the best person to explain the process to you since I am only 7 days into the program myself, but I do feel your pain. I've somewhat grasped the concept now. Seems like 3 days is about the average learning curve. I find that Franks 4 tier nested tutorial worked best for me. Follow his pictures of the webmerge screens exactly on what templates to use and what file names to generate. I also find that using web-procreates examples of creating index pages not to work the same when used with Frank's four tier setup and his index page examples. The links don't come out the same. The nested tutorial was the one that did the trick for me.

When creating the index page for the subcategories use this to create the subcategory links. -
    [WM-RECORD]
    [WM-FIELD: PRODUCT_NAME(subcategory)]
    [/WM-RECORD]

Then, in webmerge, the settings for the index page:
    Use one template for Index page: (use your subcategory template page)
    Generate files names based on contents of field: Cat+SubCat

for the detail page use:
    Use one template for Detail pages: (use your detail template page)
    Generate files names based on contents of field: Cat+SubCat+Detail

Hope this helps a little. Good luck.

Thank you for your assistance ShoppingNexus!

I'm still not getting it to work. I'm beginning to think there's something buggy with my computer because I don't get table closing tags either - even with the patch from 4W.

If someone would be willing to use the datafeed I'm using and generate a 4-tier site and send me the settings files, templates, and generated pages so I could compare them to what I've got I'd gladly pay them. I need to see for sure if the problem is with my machine or if I'm just dumber than dirt when it comes to WebMerge LOL.

~Karen

Karen,

Sorry my post didn't help. It's probably something simple in your setup. I could be wrong. Any little minute detail can throw off your results. Feel free to email me your data and templates if you like to admin@shopping.... and I'd be glad to take a quick look. If it appears to be a big fix I may not have the time to help. I've recently set up a site with the 4 tier nested examples and it worked out perfect. I should be able to spot your problem fairly quick.

~Brian

Brian,
    You're very kind!!

I'll get those zipped up and sent to you to look at.

Quick question, is there any way to do it without the nesting since I don't have Excel? That kind of seems like the way to go but then I'd have to learn 2 programs and I don't know if my poor little brainy can take that at this point

You can do it with or without nesting. If you're creating a lot of pages then nesting may be a better way to organize it. It looks nicer in my opinion. Otherwise, all the files just get put in the same folder. No big deal. If you've got no excel then nesting would not be the easy way for you to go. Frank's tutorials show both ways with good illustrations. Just keep going back over it and I think the lightbulb will go off eventually. I'll still take a look for you to see if I can shed any light.

-Brian

Must be datafeed
    Ok, I downloaded a trial version of Excel so I could sort the feeds and get a look at them in a columnar view. It seems that some of the subcategories are in more than one category.

It seems like more trouble than it's worth but I'll change the name on duplicates and I think it will be ok.

We'll see...

Hey, all better now!

Thanks for your help and support!!

I knew you'd figure it out eventually.

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread