Need some serious assistance
    Ok, I really hope someone here is able to help me with this... here goes:

I have one site which I'm trying to connect to the overstock datafeed and download. The site's host (iPowerWeb) won't download the files through 'ftp_fget' (i think it times out or something). It also won't let me use wget.

So... to get around this, I set the whole download and database update on another database I have on a different host (where the ftp_get does work), using cron jobs. Everything there was fine.

Now all I needed to do was copy all entries from my second host's database, into the mysql database of the host for this site. Problem is, neither of the hosts allow remote database connection.

I realise a simple answer would be to move the site to the host which does support ftp_get, but I'm afraid it might kill my rankings on my main keywords (i.e. the IP change might tell the SE's it's a new site now).

Does anyone, at all know of any way around this? It doesn't have to be just for Overstock (i know they have XML feeds), but I mean generally for datafeed files.

I'm out of options, perhaps someone has any ideas. Your help is very appreciated!

Regards,

Rogi

Hey Rogi,

If you transition to another dedicated IP smoothly, the SE's "SHOULD" be ok with this and not penalize you right? Try and run both sites simultaneously for 2-4 weeks just in case. Be sure to get teh IP of your current web host so you can ftp to it after the DNS's point over. This way, you can still delete the files after you make the transfer.

Hope that helps!

Thanks for your help, that's exactly what I've done... had it running simultaneously and just phased it slowly.
    Cheers!

Did you see a change in PR, traffic or rankings?

Changing hosts/servers/IP shouldn't change any of your rankings. We changed to a dedicated server with one of our sites and nothing changed. Same page rankings...

Visible/Toolbar Pagerank has remained, Rankings and Traffic seemed to remain (although when i did this the google jagger update just started so traffic did go crazy for a little while, but it's back to where it was)

So... since the domain didn't expire and the pages were exactly the same.... my guess is the SE's would've realised it's just a host/ip change and not a site change and kept its status.

Glad to hear that. Thanks for replying.

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread