Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 29
  1. #1
    ABW Ambassador Snib's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    5,303
    Web 2.0
    I've been very interested in the new revolution going on with the internet lately. It's been coined Web 2.0 and has to do with the new way web sites are being used. Basically, we're moving away from websites as content containers towards websites as content services. Much like Amazon's XML datafeed interface, sites all over the net are offering their content through XML. Web 2.0 has to do with the way this XML/RSS is dealt with and organized. It also has a strong emphasis on Tagging and Folksonomies with some Social Networking. The internet is changing very quickly and I'm excited for all of this, but I just wish I'd known about it sooner! So it's time my fellow ABW'ers become enlightened.

    Here are a few articles to get you started:

    http://www.digital-web.com/articles/...for_designers/
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_2.0
    http://www.uie.com/events/uiconf/articles/web_2_power/

    This is truly facinating stuff, so please let me know what you think about it!

    - Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

  2. #2
    lurk
    Join Date
    March 25th, 2005
    Posts
    355
    "The proponents of this thinking expect that ultimately Web 2.0 services will replace desktop computing applications for many purposes."

    Can you say Google...
    Jason

  3. #3
    Member SeanW's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 28th, 2005
    Posts
    69
    Yes, I'm continually amazed at what's being provided by XML and such. I love to automate repetitive tasks, and I find myself looking for these types of things when I visit a site.

    On the AM side of things, it makes it easier to pull in data and collate it with other sources. Sure beats screen scraping

    Sean

  4. #4
    Moderator MichaelColey's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Mansfield, TX
    Posts
    16,232
    From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_2.0

    General:

    * The site should not act as a "walled garden" - it should be easy to get data in and out of the system.
    * Users should own their own data on the site
    * Purely web based - most successful web 2.0 sites can be used almost entirely through the browser
    Those first two points are just the opposite of what we like as affiliates. We don't want our sites to be places that people pull data from. We want our sites to be places people go to as a shopping resource.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

  5. #5
    Ms Dumb Ass ... but, *NOT* Today! westgroup's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    State of Perpetual Confusion
    Posts
    471
    Soon everyone will be able to pull data and they won't need the affiliate. It will probably get to the point where they could pull several feeds and run a program that will compare prices & services.

    I want to turn the clock back to 1999. when it was easy to make money online.

  6. #6
    ABW Ambassador buy_online's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    3,234
    Quote Originally Posted by westgroup
    Soon everyone will be able to pull data and they won't need the affiliate. It will probably get to the point where they could pull several feeds and run a program that will compare prices & services.
    Good Point !

  7. #7
    ABW Ambassador Snib's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    5,303
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    Those first two points are just the opposite of what we like as affiliates. We don't want our sites to be places that people pull data from. We want our sites to be places people go to as a shopping resource.
    Quote Originally Posted by westgroup
    Soon everyone will be able to pull data and they won't need the affiliate. It will probably get to the point where they could pull several feeds and run a program that will compare prices & services.

    I want to turn the clock back to 1999. when it was easy to make money online.
    You both make great points, but you need to be a little more forward thinking. GoldenCan is the perfect example of a Web 2.0-like service. While it doesn't support XML, it still follows some of the ideals behind it. GoldenCan provides a service that earns money for all parties involved. Amazon and eBay also provide XML services that earn money for all parties.

    The real trick is to think outside the box. For example, you can offer an RSS feed that includes information about your coupons & promotions where the redemption links include your URL. That way your customers can plug your data into a container of their choosing, but when they actually need to use it they'll end up at your site. I've seen some successful affiliate sites transition to Web 2.0 and it's becomming more and more necessary. You want to offer just enough information to entice people to visit your site. This is a new form of marketing that goes around the entire link popularity and SEO avenue. You can now syndicate the information from your site all over the net so people may stumble on your services on another website. In order to get the real value from the content, they'll still need to visit your site.

    The possibilities in affiliate marketing are just starting to become clear. The innovators and outside the box thinkers will do well with this.

    - Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

  8. #8
    ABW Ambassador Snib's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    5,303
    Another application is to apply tags and RSS to product and service reviews. You can include an introduction to each review in your RSS feed as a sort of teaser to get people to click over to your site. Just so many possibilities for this!

    - Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

  9. #9
    ABW Ambassador Snib's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    5,303
    Datafeeds are really just web 2.0 marketing tools. When we see keywords in the feeds, these keywords are product tags. Merchants have known about this for years and have been utilizing it effectively the entire time. We've only just now come up with a name for this. Blogs use syndication to get their word out just like merchants use datafeeds to get their products out. If you don't syndicate, you'll be left behind in the dust. How many times have you ignored a merchant because they don't have a datafeed. It'll get to the point that your customers will ignore your site if you don't provide some sort of RSS datafeed.

    - Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

  10. #10
    Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    12,360
    OUtta your comfort zome people! A whole new learning curve coming up.

    Interesting and very relevant stuff Scott. Thanks for sharing and enlightening!
    Peace,

    Rexanne

    Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic


  11. #11
    ABW Ambassador Snib's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    5,303
    Yahoo has a Web 2.0 portal. I didn't even notice it until I searched for 'web 2.0' in Google. I think they're keeping it quiet so the other search engines don't come in and copy them. It's actually a very nice implementation and may be an important place to be listed in the near future:

    http://myweb2.search.yahoo.com

    It's very clean and easy to use. I like it!

    - Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

  12. #12
    Affiliate Manager nish's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 6th, 2005
    Posts
    762
    check out this web2.0 mashup matrix: http://www.programmableweb.com/matrix Some pretty interesting apps out there.

    And if you guys haven't checked out ning.com, do it soon. Co-founded by Marc Andreessen & has some pretty interesting stuff. They'r trying to make the job of building web2.0 kinda social apps super easy.

    cheers!
    -nishith

  13. #13
    ABW Ambassador Snib's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    5,303
    Some great resources there nish. I'd seen programmableweb.com before, but I hadn't seen the matrix. One site that caught my attention was the XBox Radar that uses Amazon and Technorati. It's really not much different from a normal Amazon affiliate site, except it's got blogs fed into it from Technorati. Might be an interesting way to go. Too bad I'm seeing tons of blog spam in Technorati. Unfortunately it all leads to those ugly Yahoo based search result pages with AdSense ads, ick!

    - Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

  14. #14
    Affiliate Manager nish's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 6th, 2005
    Posts
    762
    True.. so much spam on Technorati. Instead they could have got xbox links from del.icio.us and maybe xbox related pictures from flickr.

    -nishith

  15. #15
    Affiliate Manager nish's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 6th, 2005
    Posts
    762
    If someone wants to experiment with Google Maps, here is one simple to use PHP class that lets you customize Google Maps: http://www.system7designs.com/codebase

    enjoy!
    -nishith

  16. #16
    ABW Ambassador Snib's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    5,303
    Quote Originally Posted by nish
    If someone wants to experiment with Google Maps, here is one simple to use PHP class that lets you customize Google Maps: http://www.system7designs.com/codebase

    enjoy!
    -nishith
    Pretty cool nish! The sample code is so simple anybody can do this. Now I need to start incorporating Google Maps into my sites.

    - Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

  17. #17
    ABW Ambassador
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Nunya, Business
    Posts
    23,684
    Is this what you're talking about when you talk about tags, just noticed this at Amazon:

    What are tags ?
    Tags provide an easy way for you to "remember" and classify any item on the Amazon site for later recall. For example, you might be shopping for holiday gifts and tag items with the names of the people on your shopping list. At any time, you can review the items you've tagged and make final gift decisions. You might also want to tag items you've purchased in the past. This allows you to organize your collection in any way you wish. You can also use tags to help you remember items you're considering for purchase, e.g. if you are planning to buy a digital camera, you might tag several makes and models so that you can look at them side by side, organized the way you wish. Don't like the way Amazon has organized its science fiction or cookbooks? Tag the items you care about with the categories that matter to you. Because people's tags are (by default) visible to others, a great side effect of tagging is that you can navigate among items through other people's tags. What items have people tagged "gift" or "Tuscany" or "robot?"

    Can Everyone See My Tags?
    By default, everyone can see your tags. Your tags will help others find interesting products, and likewise you can see how other customers have tagged products. For example, suppose a book is tagged 'Philosophy'. By clicking on that tag, you can see what other products customers have tagged 'Philosophy', and you can see what other tags people who use the 'Philosophy' tag use. As you navigate using tags, you will find more and more interesting products, as collectively organized by other Amazon customers.

    What If I Don't Want Others To See My Tags?
    You can make your tags private if you want. Just go to your Home page, find the Your Tags area, and click on Manage Your Tags. From there you can edit and delete tags as well as choose whether they are public or private.

    Can I Remove A Tag?
    When you are on a product page, you can click on Edit to remove a tag. Or, go to your Home page, scroll to the Your Tags area, and click on Manage Your Tags. From there you can edit and delete tags.

  18. #18
    Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    12,360
    Quote Originally Posted by TrustNo1
    Is this what you're talking about when you talk about tags, just noticed this at Amazon:

    What are tags ?
    Tags provide an easy way for you to "remember" and classify any item on the Amazon site for later recall. For example, you might be shopping for holiday gifts and tag items with the names of the people on your shopping list. At any time, you can review the items you've tagged and make final gift decisions. You might also want to tag items you've purchased in the past. This allows you to organize your collection in any way you wish. You can also use tags to help you remember items you're considering for purchase, e.g. if you are planning to buy a digital camera, you might tag several makes and models so that you can look at them side by side, organized the way you wish. Don't like the way Amazon has organized its science fiction or cookbooks? Tag the items you care about with the categories that matter to you. Because people's tags are (by default) visible to others, a great side effect of tagging is that you can navigate among items through other people's tags. What items have people tagged "gift" or "Tuscany" or "robot?"

    Can Everyone See My Tags?
    By default, everyone can see your tags. Your tags will help others find interesting products, and likewise you can see how other customers have tagged products. For example, suppose a book is tagged 'Philosophy'. By clicking on that tag, you can see what other products customers have tagged 'Philosophy', and you can see what other tags people who use the 'Philosophy' tag use. As you navigate using tags, you will find more and more interesting products, as collectively organized by other Amazon customers.

    What If I Don't Want Others To See My Tags?
    You can make your tags private if you want. Just go to your Home page, find the Your Tags area, and click on Manage Your Tags. From there you can edit and delete tags as well as choose whether they are public or private.

    Can I Remove A Tag?
    When you are on a product page, you can click on Edit to remove a tag. Or, go to your Home page, scroll to the Your Tags area, and click on Manage Your Tags. From there you can edit and delete tags.
    Wow ... that's beautiful. What a great idea.

    Amazon is goooooood and they're equally good at using their visitor content to create a better site. Smart! Wish they paid a higher % though. Grrrrrrrrr
    Peace,

    Rexanne

    Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic


  19. #19
    ABW Ambassador Snib's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    5,303
    Wow, now that is an impressive tagging example. They've successfully integrated tags with products and created a truly unique way to handle datafeeds. Gotta hand it to Amazon, they do a great job of keeping up with technology. Thanks for that info Trust!

    - Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

  20. #20
    Affiliate Manager inflatemouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 28th, 2005
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    172
    It may be time for a renovation of what Affiliates are doing. Many of you already run many datafeeds and create comparisons. Perhaps the next step for affiliate marketing is packaging scripts for the home market that run through your feeds and pump out the information. Having consumers pay 5 per query may be the future

  21. #21
    ABW Ambassador
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Nunya, Business
    Posts
    23,684
    "Having consumers pay 5 per query may be the future"

    Don't think consumers will ever pay to search when they can do it for free. Unless you're thinking about something different than I am?

  22. #22
    Affiliate Manager inflatemouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 28th, 2005
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    172
    Affiliate marketing has a foundation in implied recommendation and pre-packaged legwork. Places like pricegrabber are only merchants who pay to be listed, where as an Affiliate's collection of datafeeds are a very different class. You are selling the time you have put in to finding packaging and sorting -- the big comparison engines don't provide that for their visitors. Affiliates have a market that is untouched since the majority of online stores are not listed on the comparison engines.

  23. #23
    ABW Ambassador Snib's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    5,303
    Quote Originally Posted by inflatemouse
    Affiliate marketing has a foundation in implied recommendation and pre-packaged legwork. Places like pricegrabber are only merchants who pay to be listed, where as an Affiliate's collection of datafeeds are a very different class. You are selling the time you have put in to finding packaging and sorting -- the big comparison engines don't provide that for their visitors.
    I think the only consumers you'll get to purchase this sort of information are affiliates. Even that might be a tall order. Consider GoldenCan which lets affiliates dish out affiliate links with no fee. Of course you pay with 25% of your commissions, but I just can't see general consumers spending money to search.

    Affiliates have a market that is untouched since the majority of online stores are not listed on the comparison engines.
    I disagree.

    Back to the Amazon topic, I'm excited about this idea and see a great deal of potential for affiliates who adopt new forms of technology. Web 2.0 is truly redefining how people use the internet. If you aren't already using it, del.icio.us is a wonderful resource. Check http://del.icio.us/popular/shopping to see what sites are being shared most often.

    - Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

  24. #24
    Newbie
    Join Date
    December 12th, 2005
    Posts
    3
    Hi All,

    Not sure if this is the right place to post, but I have a question relating to feeds etc.

    Basically, I'm setting up a business and I want to be able to divide my affiliate earnings with the users of my site. To do this I need to get the affiliate stats on to my own server and do some processing on them. This must be done automatically. So my newbie question is: how do you get your affiliate stats out of the affiliate program? Is there something better than screenscraping? Are there feeds of this info? What is the standard way to do this?

    Thanks in advance!

  25. #25
    ABW Ambassador Snib's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    5,303
    Looks like Yahoo is scooping up all the popular Web 2.0 technology. They bought Flickr a few months ago and just last week they picked up del.icio.us:

    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051210/...oo_acquisition

    Just goes to show this sort of technology is turning some large heads.

    - Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Great Resources For Learning Web Design And Web Development (Article)
    By Rhia7 in forum Newbie Affiliate FAQs & Helpful Articles
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: February 24th, 2014, 11:44 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •