Is $80-85 really an "average sale"?
    3 out of 4 merchants* say that their average sale is $80-85.

Question to affiliates: what is the number from your experience?! Is this really so for most online retail merchants you're working with?

Geno

*[my rough statistics]

Geno,

Our average transaction is around $100, one year of hosting -- but I really can't
    comment from an affiliates point of view who has multiple programs. Some of them
    don't even tell you what the gross was!

Mmm, difficult to say without a lot of number crunching and checking.

Gut feeling - no, not average, but probably modal. The average is brought down by small sales, so most commish (say 90%? - gut feelin again) is earned on average of $80-$85 sales, but $10-$20 bring the average down quite a lot.

As a rule of thumb, I don't believe any statistics that are meant to impress without qualifications of where they come from.

Did you ever see the film (that's "movie" in American) "The Jerk" with Steve Martin? "Win anything on the rack - on the middle shelf - between the eraser and the comb" that's how I see most quoted stats.

Internet Cowboy
    $80-85 is on the low end for most of my retail merchants.
    Win anything on the rack - on the middle shelf - between the eraser and the comb
    Great flick!

Quote Originally Posted by UncleScooter
    $80-85 is on the low end for most of my retail merchants.
    Interesting...

Geno

Affiliate Manager
    Geno,

Here are my client's average sales:

Nature Hills ($70-80 in Spring, $40-$50 in fall because of bulbs being popular)
    Playful Plush $40-$50
    Cookie Garden $30-$40
    Arizona Sun $50-$60
    Wire Sculpture $90-$100

I think it really varies depending on products sold as well as time of year for some.
    Shawn - Nature Hills Nursery, Inc.
    Contact Info: aol im: sms10221975 | shawn"at"naturehills.com | icq: 106-663-985
    Join the Nature Hills affiliate program now | Earn 15% per sale | 365-day Cookie

Affiliate Manager Sami B - Uncommon Goods's Avatar
    UncommonGoods.com Affiliate Channel Average Amount Per Order is: $69.97 (Month of August 2005 - Source Linkshare)

And this number is inline with our company-wide average amount per order.

What I don't understand it, merchants who are giving amount ranges when describing their "average" order amount. As the name suggests, average of the certain amounts can only be one number. It can be $65, yes, but it cannot be $50 to $80. The latter is not average, it's just a range of 'possible' numbers, maybe. This is a math argument anyway.

lurk
    Quote Originally Posted by Sami B - Uncommon Goods
    It can be $65, yes, but it cannot be $50 to $80. The latter is not average, it's just a range of 'possible' numbers, maybe. This is a math argument anyway.
    It can be both, it depends on what kind of average you are looking at. If you are looking for ONE number as an average then yes it would have to be one number... but sometimes top 1 percentile can be between a range of two numbers.

Obviously you wouldn't use something like the the top 50 percentile because then your numbers would end up being $5 - $250... although if you use your top 1 percentile of sales you can come out with numbers such as $50 - $80.

Think about it like a pryamid with, say 10 tiers.. the tip top being the overall average, the top tier being the top 10 percentile, second tier top 20, etc. etc...
    Jason

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    I'd say that's probably about right Geno.

I certainly don't average that per sale but I'm not selling high ticket items on my site. Between affiliates who sell computers, satellite dishes and electronics and the ones who sell discounted books, it might come to around $80 to $85 for the average sale, combining all examples.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

I guess this is obvious but I have two kinds of merchants...ones with usually only one item in the order, and these are in that $50-80 range; and the programs that people keep finding cross-sells at the merchant site and load up the shopping cart and those of course go a lot higher.
    Tim
    consultant by day, affiliate by night

Quote Originally Posted by Sami B - Uncommon Goods
    What I don't understand it, merchants who are giving amount ranges when describing their "average" order amount. As the name suggests, average of the certain amounts can only be one number. It can be $65, yes, but it cannot be $50 to $80. The latter is not average, it's just a range of 'possible' numbers, maybe.
    I personally haven't sen a range this wide claimed by merchants (at least around ABW) as their "average sale". $80-85 is what I see on most banners in rotation. Hence, the question.

Geno

Quote Originally Posted by Rexanne
    I certainly don't average that per sale but I'm not selling high ticket items on my site. Between affiliates who sell computers, satellite dishes and electronics and the ones who sell discounted books, it might come to around $80 to $85 for the average sale, combining all examples.
    Interesting statistics.

Quote Originally Posted by Rexanne
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic!
    Been meaning to say this for a long time... I love your signature! Amen!

Geno

The affiliate formerly known as ojmoo
    Mean, mode of median
    In another life I was a high school math teacher and when people say average that could mean either. Also, average is a number not a range. So Shawn when you say playful plush do you mean, mean, mode or medium and is that affiliate sales or sales in general. Because I can tell you, I have had 3 sales in the couple weeks I have promoted them and the highest of which is under $14. (I'm not complaining becauase a sale is a sale.) But it its 40-50, then I'm bringing down the average big time.

Affiliate Manager
    Hey ojmoo,

The per order average ranges I posted are from what my clients have told me (except for Nature Hills as that is accurate based on 20 months of affiliate sales). I don't have enough history with the other programs to have an exact affiliate per sale average.

But, with Playful Plush, in the first few weeks with the sales we have seen, the average is $23 - so ojmoo YES, you are bringing down the per sale average Come on, can't you bring in a few big ones

Just kidding, playful plush is starting to convert and Randy, the owner, says the average order size doubles come holiday time. Again, this is his input, I don't have enough history to give you actuals yet.
    Shawn - Nature Hills Nursery, Inc.
    Contact Info: aol im: sms10221975 | shawn"at"naturehills.com | icq: 106-663-985
    Join the Nature Hills affiliate program now | Earn 15% per sale | 365-day Cookie

Good thread, Geno. And some interesting replies.

My sites (and their merchants) are spread over a wide spectrum of products. They cover advertisers from the largest to the smallest networks and independents. It's is difficult for me to come to grips with an average sale.

From the stand point of a network wide average it is fairly simple. But the numbers are more or less meaningless. ie...one merchant has products no higher than $49.95 while on the same network another merchant has products well over $800.

From the specific merchant view...one of my merchants has some mid to high priced products, but doesn't have a lot of searches for those niche products. For example, last month I had only one sale for this merchant, but it was for $1,029.00.

On any given month my sales figures would plot a near perfect bell curve. The low end being less than $5.00, the high end being more that $1,000. The mean would likely fall below the $80 per sale mentioned in your first post.

Summary: I don't believe that 75% of all merchants have an average sale of $80 - 85.

Frank
    Last edited by frank3iii; September 21st, 2005 at 03:15 PM. Reason: 'cause I'm a hillbilly and caint speel
    "Just the facts, Ma'am." Sgt. Joe Friday, Dragnet

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread