Question TO BRIAN: Setting Higher Commission
    Brian,

Another question to you: is there any way we (merchants) can have a possibility of setting higher commission at certain seasons? For instance, if I want to motivate my affiliates to sell more during the Christmas season, and am willing to raise their commission by 5%, I would want to set a time period during which this higher commission applies. Is it possible to add such an option to our tools?

Geno

ShareASale President/CEO and ABW Veteran Brian - ShareASale's Avatar
    Geno,

You can edit your main commission, and change it back at the end of a season, or edit individual's commission rates and set back at the end of whatever timeframe you need...
    Thanks,

Brian Littleton
    President/CEO - ShareASale.com, Inc.

Does ShareASale.com support bonuses? A bonus would probably be perceived much better than the "commission drop" that would come at the end of the promotion period.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Affiliate Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    Does ShareASale.com support bonuses? A bonus would probably be perceived much better than the "commission drop" that would come at the end of the promotion period.
    Pretty good point. Merchants can manually add money to an affiliates account at anytime. That is how I do it with the DietBargains bonuses.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian - ShareASale
    Geno,

You can edit your main commission, and change it back at the end of a season, or edit individual's commission rates and set back at the end of whatever timeframe you need...
    Yeah, I know this, Brian. I was talking about something more automatized. Say, you go to the list of your affiliates sorted by commission rate, pick (by ticking) all of those that you want to raise the commission for, type in their new commission somewhere in the field below AND set a date (if there is any) for how long you wan them to receive this commission (if no deadline - leave blank), hit UPDATE. When the deadline comes, the commission drops to their previous number. Might be too complex of a thing to ask, huh?

Geno

correct me if I'm wrong...
    In the period from October through December we, for example, make more money than over the rest of the year. Let me ask you the following question in response to the above proposition: is it bad for us to be willing to share more of our best profit with our active affiliates during this pre-Christmas season?

IMHO, return of commission level to the previously agreed-on level will be perceived as a "commission drop" (and insult or whatever) only by unthinking affiliates. Anyone who is understading what we are doing during the "high season" will only understand it as a just reward for their hard work.

Please correct me if I'm wrong in the above assumptions.

Geno

I think it's great you want to share more profits more during your higher earnings period. Having said that I don't think it's a good plan to raise commission then cut it back. Why not consider performance incentives and bonuses for this period or even year round? Even if it's a slightly lower rate than what you would plan for just the holiday season. I am sure this can be automated at sas as it is at CJ. Calling it an incentive will keep it positive even if it's just a temporary increase in commission. There is no positive way to say "commisions go back to normal", "commission cut back".... Sometimes it's all in the wording.

Look at it from an affiliate point of view. Sales potentially come easier during holiday shopping. In Feb when sales drop off, sales are harder to come by. Wouldn't it encourage your affiliates if you rewarded them during the slower season? Look long term for your company, wouldn't you want your affiliates to work harder during your slower periods?

Just my opinion It's a great feeling when you earn bonuses or qualify for higher commissions. It's an even greater feeling when it comes during the typically slow months.

Mellie, I appreciate your feedback (as I also do Michael's). Any other affiliates?

You're welcome Geno. I know you have many things to consider.

BTW, You've got beautiful products which I hope to soon add to my sites.

Geno, you might want to consider running it as a "bonus" (using the new functionality at SAS!) rather than a commission increase and decrease. People understand that a bonus is for a limited time, but if you raise commissions for a limited time, that commission decrease is a big slap in the face.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Geno, you might want to consider running it as a "bonus" (using the new functionality at SAS!)
    I most certainly will, Michael!

Great feature added, Brian! THANKS!

Geno

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread