Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie at tooting my own horn M_Diddy's Avatar
    Steve Messer - The legend, The Pioneer, The Legacy
    Since I am this give appreciation tip, gotta give my props to the man that started it all....yes....None other than Steven Messer, one of the reasons we are all here tonight.

I was talking with one of my boys tonight on the street corner drinking a 40, and all of a sudden it hit me like ton of bricks.....what would happen if there was no Steve Messer.....like think about it.....Say his Mom realized his dad started smoking again as they were going at it and threw him outta bed (Happened to Me) and the magic didnt happen...and presto....No Linkshare

Where'd we all be now ( such a loaded question I am sure you guys are gonna attack like a fat kid cake)

No matter what anyone says, one of the reasons that we are able to ***** and moan, is Steve Messer.

When you get your payment, usually late, its because of his vision and dreams.

I have never met the guy, but he definately deserves a Star on the affiliate hall of fame for him being a pioneer in this business.......and has got my vote.

He has effected everyone of us, whether you like it or not, its true.

Many of us, he has given us the ability to post jobs, fire slobs, hire bobs, and put money into our economies of scale.

He has given us the merchants to add credibility to our sites, quit 9 to 5 jobs, and get paid to sit home and code like mad men and women.

The long and short of all of this is.....Its irrelevant what you think of the guy personally.....he gave us the ability to succeed and that deserves props.

So raise your bottle of Cristal, and give it up to Steve Messer...

Diddy

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    OK, true. Just because there are nasty merchants in his network is no reason to rag on the man.

Wonder where he'll sprout next ... maybe we should all watch his next move closely. Stay on the cutting edge and be able to shun the "real" world a couple more years while wallowing in sucess until the parasites find out. But buy stock first! :-)
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    Some of us are doing just fine without LS.

Hey Rexy

All I am saying is that regardless of everything else....

The guy could have the personality of a wet towel, could have bad breath, he could wear womens panties under his suits, its all irrelevant....

What is relevant is what he created for all of us.....giving all of us the ability to make lemonaid, moonshine, sometimes even champagne from the big name merchants of LS.....that deserves a thank you.

As a business owner, I have gone through my own trials and tribulations and sacrificed almost everything so others benefit from my work, people have no idea.......Who really knows what this guy went through in his journey to give all of us the ability to make money......I havent read his autobiography yet so I don't know......neither does anyone here.

But you gotta give him whats rightfully his, the acknowledgement and respect for building a platform that gives us these OPPORTUNITIES.

Now that I can't shadow posts I am getting all mushy...

Diddy-You know I am right

Quote Originally Posted by Rhea
    Some of us are doing just fine without LS.
    I agree Rhea.....LinkShare is not even my best network at the end of the day, I do better in CJ....but maybe you could do better using their merchants.....

At the end of the day you need to do whats best for you, forget this pride stuff, its about providing for you and yours

Internet Cowboy
    Quote Originally Posted by M_Diddy
    Who really knows what this guy went through in his journey to give all of us the ability to make money
    You say this as if there were nothing in it for him.
    Not to discredit your point, I know what you are saying, but he has 425 million reasons to go through whatever he went through.
    That's like the thread in the CJ forum thanking CJ for payment. I see no need to thank a network for payment. It is not like you were just sitting there aimlessly and a check came to your mailbox. It is good that the networks send us payment every month, but they are also getting paid once a month from our efforts.
    It is a two-way street and I really don't see a need to thank Steve Messer until Linkshare thanks me.

Scooter.......

You can't go through life looking in other peoples pockets.....He was the one that built the network.....look at how many 10's of thousands of people are affected by this man's creation.

Think about all of the commerce that comes from LinkShare.....do the and so on and so on.......

Yes we deserve to get paid......but....if there was no LinkShare how many people would actually be here.......half of you would be working overtime to make your mortgage payments.....

The internet evolved due to Steven Messer...You evolved due to Stephen Messer.....the guy is equivilent to an Alexander Graham Bell in our lives, the word is visionary, you nor any other person on these boards can take that away from the man, it is impossible......may be a hard pill to swallow for some of you, but you gotta give the man his credit

Btw.... I am sure he didnt get all the dough.....but who cares

Diddy

As many of you know, I rarely read MDiddys posts and more rarely respond, but this post was very intriguing. I'm pretty ignorant as to the origins of affiliate marketing and this post raised my curiosity as I strongly suspected that Mr. Messer is not quite the pioneer, redeemer and savior that MDiddy suggests.

Sure enough, I discovered PC Flowers & Gifts.com was probably the first (October 1994), AutoWeb.com (October 1995), Kbkids.com/BrainPlay.com (January 1996), EPage (April 1996), and a handful of others. Actually, Jason Olim and Matthew Olim, in their book about founding CDNow, state that they had an informal program in 1994.

Now, if you are referring to Networks, two actually have the credit for that, both LinkShare and BeFree starting in 1996 and CJ in 1998.

Now, if anyone has information that disputes any of this, especially Mr. Messer or MDiddy, I certainly would like the record to be correct. I'm just submitting what I have found doing a basic search of Google for the history of affiliate marketing.
    Ron Bechdolt | Affiliate Program Management Consultant
    7 Days A Week Marketing

Ron - I think FTD was one of the earliest ecom merchants as well that are still standing...

It seems that LS has stood the test of time as BeFree is being diluted over to CJ one at a time.

If you sit back and think about all of it.....its pretty deep.

Diddy

Agreed.

Does anyone else have any affiliate marketing history for us?

I'd be interested in hearing from folks who were in the business back in 1994. Heck, I did not start building sites until around 1995 myself and did not discover affiliate marketing until about four years ago. Hope someone can come and share some of their memories of the "early days".
    7 Days A Week Marketing

Maybe Haiko???
    Last edited by M_Diddy; September 20th, 2005 at 11:57 PM. Reason: My Bad......Typos suck....

Internet Cowboy
    The internet evolved due to Steven Messer...You evolved due to Stephen Messer.....the guy is equivilent to an Alexander Graham Bell in our lives
    Sorry Diddy, I gotta disagree with you here. Messer was the man who did it. The Internet evolved on its own. If Messer were never born, the Internet would still be like it is now. If you think that someone else wouldn't have had the idea of affiliate marketing on the web, you might want to rethink that.
    The concept of affiliate marketing has been around as long as salespeople have been around. Ever have a buddy who worked at a car lot and said something to the effect of, "Bring me a customer and I will slide you $100"
    That is affiliate marketing.
    Once again, I am not trying to poo-poo your parade. Your heart is in the right place and I guess by now those Crown & Ginger Ale & Limes are starting to kick and you are feeling nostalgic...and that is good!
    There are lots of people in this business I would like to have a drink with. Messer is certainly one of them. So are you.

Quote Originally Posted by 7-days
    Agreed.

Does anyone else have any affiliate marketing history for us?

I'd be interested in hearing from folks who were in the business back in 1994. Heck, I did not start building sites until around 1995 myself and did not discover affiliate marketing until about four years ago. Hope someone can come and share some of their memories of the "early days".
    all I can remember is getting emails for stats from amazon.com. I think I was about affiliate #7000 or so. when they reached 200,000 they sent t-shirts to everyone (all same size). that was my only affiliateship for years.

It has nothing to do with pride. I have no idea how you came to that conclusion.

It has everything to do with using my time efficiently. I am far more productive with other networks (CJ and SAS) and indies than I am with LS. LS makes it too damn difficult to make links the way I do them. I also don't care to waste time trying to figure out how much I made, how much I'm owed, who's paid me, etc.

Messer didn't make anyone here a success. If it was as simple as throwing a bunch of links on a web site we'd all be successful with LS. Obviously many of us aren't, for a variety of reasons. Messer isn't in this business for altruistic reasons and neither am I. If he cared about my success he'd give me the tools to be successful...which he hasn't. If I cared about his success I'd waste my time working with his network.

Rhea.....

I appreciate your opinion as it is your opinion, I personally don't agree and think that if it was just as easy as throwing links and presto....you have a network.....there would be 1000's of them....

But, thats what makes this world wonderful is that you can speak your mind.

One thing more....if it wasnt for Steve Messer.....you and I wouldnt even be talking

Diddy

ABW Ambassador
    People were making money in affiliate marketing before LS. They were the first network as we know networks today. They were also the last to get with consolidated payments, direct deposit etc. As far as affiliate marketing you can thank adult sites which were some of the first with programs, and the first mainstream was Amazon in 96 but there were a few before that.

Diddy, you've been in this business what...four months?

I can't imagine why you've taken it upon yourself to be a one man band for LS but you do seem to enjoy the role. Just don't expect everyone else to validate your point of view. Particularly those of us with more experience.

Enthusiasm is great, but you're teetering on the verge of morphing into M_Giddy.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhea
    Diddy, you've been in this business what...four months?
    Well close...I have been marketing online since about 98...new to affiliate marketing....maybe I am new....maybe the pain that many of you have felt I havent experienced but am benefiting from what came from it, if so....I thank you

One thing for certain with me, is LinkShare gives me the ability to create jobs, develop, create.....maybe get a starbucks designer coffee drink once in a while.....I don't wanna be the LinkShare Shill, I just want to let them know I appreciate what Steve Messer did.

Do we always have to *****?

Sometimes a pat on the back, a nod, a whats up is due...

Maybe I will look at this post 6 months from now and say wtf was I thinking.....but for today....this is how I feel, and thats all that matters to me.

Diddy

Don't foget your idol Steven is one of the major guys that allowed the frigging parasites to steal from us. In my eyes he is and always will be an assole.
    One day parasites and their ilk will be made illegal, I bet a few Lawyers will be pissed off when the day comes.
    Mr. Spitzer is fetching it nearer

YouTrek

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Sometimes a pat on the back, a nod, a whats up is due...
    And when Spitzer busts that blasted Messer, I'll be sure to give proper credit to the A.G., regardless of my opinion of his other cases.

BTW I'm absolutely sure that networks, as a business model, would have come into existence even without him. Just not THAT one. And not having LS would have been an improvement IMO!
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

ABW Ambassador
    Diddy, wipe your nose.

You guys rock.....missing the whole point of this, you just don't get it

The short and curlies of all of this is that LinkShare is here because of him, so cool your jets.

Who is this Spitzer dude anyway and what the truck does he have to do with this conversation.

I think it is short sided to give the glory to only Mr. Messer. What about his sister, the partner in the firm. Just because she is not out front and center here does not mean she is not equal or greater in the implementation and running (or failures) of LS.

And lastly, even Mr. Messer could not have come this far without the dozens of talented employees who have kept it afloat, implementing his/her changes and fixing the mistakes along the way.

If I was invited to LS offices, I would want to meet with the sister first...the mystery woman. I rememeber something said long ago that a smart wife let's her husband think most everything is his idea. I would not be surprised if the mystery Messer is not the brains and backbone of LS. No proof or validity to any of this, just stating an alternative view I bet most people never considered.

Also remember we are in the glory years of LS (hey, they just sold for $425M). Let's not forget a few years ago when they almost went bankrupt and times were not so pretty for affiliates. I bet there were some affiliates who threw in the towel back then. It's easy now to praise Mr. Messer, but there was not a lot of praise back then. Just depends on what era one is it at the moment as to what ones perspecitive is, I guess.
    7 Days A Week Marketing

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar

The short and curlies of all of this is that LinkShare is here because of him
    And that is the problem! LinkShare sucks (to put it mildly). And MESSER'S the lousy *&%*^% responsible for it. Company-wide problems always come from the TOP.

Who is this Spitzer dude anyway and what the truck does he have to do with this conversation.
    He's the Attorney General of New York, and LS is in NY, which puts it in his jurisdiction--and makes him the one most likely to make it so I get to see the image of my dreams:

Messer, doing a perp walk!

Normally Spitzer gets my ire for how he likes to stretch the law to fit whatever prosecutions he wants to do. But in Messer's case, I'd be amazed if such stretching was necessary!

Let's not forget a few years ago when they almost went bankrupt and times were not so pretty for affiliates.~Ron
    Oh, I haven't! Obviously.

But I haven't seen any evidence of real improvement. What good are consolidated checks if they don't cut them for ages? HOW long did they sit on those checks just recently, claiming it was because of "Athena" or somesuch utter nonsense? 3 months? 4? What a baloney excuse. It's typical deadbeat Snare, same as always. It's a wonder they paid at all...IF they actually paid all the amounts owing.

May they rot just like those Tyco crooks will be.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

You know what they say....behind every great man is a great woman right......but I have no clue who Heidi is and what capacity she plays a LS, Messer is the equivilant to Colonel Saunders/KFC in my eyes......Maybe she came later....sorta like the chicken or the egg.....

I don't find humor in the bankruptcy thing though, having your business go through severe financial difficulty is a very very scary thing that you'll never forget. One thing to consider is that you as the owner are the last person to get paid, the one that everything crashes down on, the one that cant sleep, the one that second guesses everything.......and to pull out of that and succeed is a triumph....not something to Mock. The scars and pain that go along with this.....never heals.....like ever, or at least in my case.

Believe it or not....its much easier to hit the reset button and try again rather than fight for your baby that you built from nothing......Its like a Cinderella story that should be applauded and acknowledged....

Watch Cinderella Man.....I have been there done that and don't think I have it in me to ever ever ever go through it again.....Its a character move....

Ron....maybe you should go to the next LS event....I am sure that they will invite you....I think it would be a good thing

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast