lurk
    When networks spam you...
    How legitamate is it for networks to go around and find websites just to e-mail them about their network? I have gotten many of these and I am sure many of you others have as well. Does this piss you off, can doing this get the company in trouble?

The one thing that ticked me off is a company who will remain nameless but is a semi-well-known network found one of my websites and stated:

My company, manages the online marketing for some large companies in a variety of business categories, and I am searching for skilled optimizers to build sites around my clients
    This coming from them two months after I applied and was denied acceptance into their network with the same website he found me through!

Do most networks honestly get away with spaming ever affiliate site they find with their offers?

Maybe some affiliate managers from networks can comment on this.
    Jason

Affiliate Manager
    I can see your point of being mad since they rejected you earlier and then contacted you later... As an Affiliate Manager, if I come accross a site I think would be a good match for one of my programs I will contact the affiliate and ask them if they would be interested in promoting the program... Is that spam? I don't feel it is. If you are in the affiliate marketing field you are going to get some recruitment emails... it's part of the business. If a company wants to try to do business with you they have to get in touch with you somehow. Some might be legit some might be spam (mass emails). Then you will always have those certain affiliates that cry no matter what... even when a merchant sends out a newsletter about a program they are in.

lurk
    Quote Originally Posted by Chet_B
    Is that spam? I don't feel it is. If you are in the affiliate marketing field you are going to get some recruitment emails... it's part of the business. If a company wants to try to do business with you they have to get in touch with you somehow. Some might be legit some might be spam (mass emails). Then you will always have those certain affiliates that cry no matter what... even when a merchant sends out a newsletter about a program they are in.
    So who ultimatly decides if it is Spam? The affilate network who sent out the UNSOLICITED email? NO... Definatly not, if that was the case then there would be no such thing as spam. If someone is sent an email from a site they were NOT opted into, if they say it is spam, then yes it's spam. If they don't mind the email and don't concider it spam then so be it, but in the end the emailer has no right to decide weather or not it is spam.
    Jason

Quote Originally Posted by jrod805
    So who ultimatly decides if it is Spam? The affilate network who sent out the UNSOLICITED email?
    As always, it is the individual who the email is addressed to who determines the spaminess of any particular mail.

The other side of the coin....how else are you going to find out about new/different programs that you may be interested in?

My sites are so diverse that I do not have time to search everywhere for new programs that could work for one of them. There are three networks that regularly send me mail notices of new advertisers. I'm glad they do.

99.9% of them don't fit anywhere in my scheme. However, that's not to say that I wouldn't have a fit next week. I'm informed. If I don't like what I see I just hit the delete key and ...hey presto! they are goners.

If you truly don't have any need for mail from a network then put a filter in place. They'll never get to you again.

Frank
    "Just the facts, Ma'am." Sgt. Joe Friday, Dragnet

ABW Ambassador
    I don't think it's spam if someone with an affiliate program contacts an affiliate, that's just part of the business. Instead of getting all worked up about it, hitting delete takes a split second. Sometimes i get them and i have no interest, delete. Some have turned out to be very good programs.

15 years and counting
    If I was getting SPAM only from the networks, I'll be an happy guy.

Talking
    Are the ads that companies run on your TV spam?

They are just telling you about their product.

Isn't this the same thing.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

Quote Originally Posted by TrustNo1
    I don't think it's spam if someone with an affiliate program contacts an affiliate, that's just part of the business. Instead of getting all worked up about it, hitting delete takes a split second. Sometimes i get them and i have no interest, delete. Some have turned out to be very good programs.
    Some of my very best programmes have contacted me without me even being aware they existed - so I'm grateful.

The ones I really do think are spam are those who have made no effort to find my sites or determine what might work on my sites - including I have to say most of those who contact me through ABW, where there is absolutely no fit whatsoever.

ABW Ambassador
    Having a web site and being an affiliate, you open yourself up for that sort of thing...

What really gets me is when a design company contacts me thinking I'm the owner of a client's site and asks if I want them to redesign the site in question... I politely suggest that they try contacting the owner of the site next time rather than the person who designed it... 9 times out of 10 they don't have a web site of their own listed, or it doesn't work, and no portfolio to share. Do they really get business this way??

lurk
    Quote Originally Posted by BurgerBoy
    Are the ads that companies run on your TV spam?

They are just telling you about their product.

Isn't this the same thing.
    The ads on tv are paid advertisements... if he wants to he can go pay like everyone else instead of sending me crap.
    Jason

" I don't think it's spam if someone with an affiliate program contacts an affiliate, that's just part of the business. - TrustNo1"

Same Here...
    As A Matter Of Fact I Like Getting E-mails From Time To Time..
    It Saves Me Looking Around For NEW Merchants and INDY Programs..!

If You Are Getting E-mails From A Network That You Are A Member Of..
    It's NOT SPAM.. It's INFORMATION REGARDING YOUR PARTNERSHIP...

Don't Like It ??
    (HIT DELETE)
    It's All Part Of Doing Business Online.

I get emails like this all the time, I like them It makes me feel special cause their coming to me. Especialy when they use the CONTACT form on my website so I know they aren't using some generic email.

lurk
    Quote Originally Posted by AddHandler

If You Are Getting E-mails From A Network That You Are A Member Of..
    It's NOT SPAM.. It's INFORMATION REGARDING YOUR PARTNERSHIP...
    I wasn't part of their network...
    Jason

I don't mind getting the emails but if I don't respond it usually means I'm not interested, some think this is a sign that they should contact me daily and that's when I get hissy
    Never argue with an idiot.
    The person watching, may not be able to tell the difference!

:female: :star: :envelope: [url="http://www.bridalbasics.ca/"]:weddingca[/url]

Cool
    I can agree with both views...if you're not looking to be part of a network or have no interest in ever being..then the emails can be a bit bothersome. However, there are many affiliates out there who aren't always aware of affiliate networks or programs that are around and receiving an email like that can be rather helpful and informative to them. Plus, it's always been a personal feeling of mine to be a member of as many legitimate networks out their as possible. It only opens up your options for advertising. Each network differs in their own way and all have some offers other's don't and offer different payout scales.

I think it doesn't really hold much weight saying emails from networks shouldn't be considered spam...coming from a guy who works for a network. But if you do receive a message from a network, either delete it, or simply say..."No thanks" maybe even throw in an expletive or two if that will appease you.

Okay...enough of me

I got a similar "spam" email a couple of years ago. I decided to check them out and joined up, I earn 6 figures a year from that company. If this is spam, then send me more

Quote Originally Posted by JJJay
    I got a similar "spam" email a couple of years ago. I decided to check them out and joined up, I earn 6 figures a year from that company. If this is spam, then send me more
    I'll have some of that
    Never argue with an idiot.
    The person watching, may not be able to tell the difference!

:female: :star: :envelope: [url="http://www.bridalbasics.ca/"]:weddingca[/url]

Outsourced Program Manager Chris -  AMWSO's Avatar
    Hi All

I had a related discussion on another forum where a person didn't like the fact that one of my AMs had shared her info with another of my AMs as they thought they would be a good fit for the program. So we decided to change that process so that the AM of the present program intros the new opportunity, but sends nothing to the new AM till the affiliates responds.

However, my ultimate aim with any communication is to put a new opportunity in front of a person we believe it will be a good fit for and make everyone some money. If everytime I got an email from a merchant asking me to look at their business I screamed SPAM.... then I'd have no new clients as 90% of our business is referral based and the intro comes direct from the new merchant not from the previous one.

But what really really really hate is this crap I've been getting in 10 different email accounts, none stop for going on 2 months from these people :

Message starts : Lately we've been bombarded with emails from clients, wondering if it is still possible to make money in online...or if it's all just a big scam.

And ends up on : www carsfrom200 com / profits2a htm

Mails come from a huge variety of mailing address... now that is SPAM....

Cheers

Chris
    Affiliate Marketing by AMWSO. Skype - chrissanderson ::: TEL 1-720-336-1784 ::: www.amwso.net
    Join our affiliate programs :Vaper Empire, Iolo, Art of Tea, or See ALL our Programs here

Maybe I'm going to sound ignorant here, but I guess my idea of what spam is can be defined more as a mass produced, unsolicited e-mail that has no relevance to me or my sites and no real e-mail address and contact information for me to communicate with the sender.

When I get an e-mail from a real person, sent directly to me, where they have a true interest in my business and is a product or service that is relevant to what I do, then I don't consider it SPAM. If I am interested, I respond. If I am not, I hit delete.

Maybe I oversimplify it though.

Sheri

lurk
    Quote Originally Posted by JJJay
    Hah.. Yeah I supposed I was just PO'd about them contacting me shortly after I wasn't allowed into their network. I talked to the AM and he had no idea, so it wasn't his fault.
    Jason

Chris, that email address was confidential data at one network, and you LIFTED it ("shared") to another network. The friggin' account had been closed, for goodness sakes.

I often get contacted through the contact addresses on my sites. Cool, that's what they're there for!

I often get contacted through the networks I've chosen to remain at. Cool, that's part of the deal. I closed my LS account months ago.

I despise my network contact address getting used off network. You weren't the first (search here for my complaints about Kolimbo), and you won't be the last.

BTW, you never seem to have clicked on the email link to approve changing the email address to yours.

As to there being bigger battles, well, small fish have to choose small battles. There are soooo many days when this industry seems too full of slime to bother with anymore. Having one of the "good guys" wonder what's wrong with lifting confidential network data was just one more level of slime, in my eyes.

Oh, let's see, here I have to do the polite dance.
    I don't want to fight about this, really, to tell you the truth, it's not a big deal, we all make mistakes, such a stupid little thing like my dead LS account contact address getting used by a different network, why everyone knows there are bigger things to battle, like Molander lifting confidential data from networks...

22. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread