Don't Mess with Texas....
    We should all be thinking this about now. Sending lots of prayers to our friends in Texas and surrounding areas as they ready for a Category five hurricane, what a month it has been!

Yeah it looks like a bad one alright. And New Orleans is being evacuated again.. fingers crossed that the levees hold out. I notice that the people displaced from NO are being moved even further inland.

Man, I'm glad we don't get those things over here. I don't know how you can live with them!
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

I called 2 of my cousins in Texas tonight.
    They said they're going to be alright. I think they just don't want me to worry about them. Meanwhile I'm worried sick .....

I'm worried about the people in NO too.
    Never argue with an idiot.
    The person watching, may not be able to tell the difference!

:female: :star: :envelope: [url="http://www.bridalbasics.ca/"]:weddingca[/url]

Took me 2.5 hours to make the 20 miles home from work tonight. The roads are clogged and gas stations are running out of gas. Some gas stations the lines are running into the street. There are no hotel rooms for 200 miles around. The next few days should be interesting to say the least.

Yes, there were gas stations closed in our area of town too - by Lake Houston.

We are leaving in a few hours and taking the back roads - heading north.

The traffic is terrible - freeways backed up, etc..

See you all on the other side.
    Ebudae

Safe travel and prayers to our fellow ABWers in the path of this storm.

Here I am worrying about $5 a gallon gas and you all are worrying about how to get out of town while leaving most of your belongings behind you. I really can't imagine the stress this must be for you all.
    Ron Bechdolt | Affiliate Program Management Consultant
    7 Days A Week Marketing

I just looked up the distance between cities and discovered all my cousins are in the area where Rita is heading. I knew they weren't telling me the truth.

Stay safe you guys
    Never argue with an idiot.
    The person watching, may not be able to tell the difference!

:female: :star: :envelope: [url="http://www.bridalbasics.ca/"]:weddingca[/url]

All our prayers to our fellow ABWers and people around Texas...

Stay Safe!!
    Cheers,

Harry.
    Mondera Affiliate Manager
    http://www.mondera.com/affiliate_support/
    Winner of the LinkShare 2004 Golden Link Awards "Affiliate's Choice Award"
    Winner of the 2002 Abestweb.com "Best Affiliate Program Award"

Canadienne extraordinaire Susan's Avatar
    Hurry, you can all come up to Canada...no hurricanes, gas is a little cheaper (I think) and you'll be safe here....the most important part.

My thoughts are with those in Rita's path...stay safe please!
    Susan Arts
    Senior Vice President, Marketing
    Moxy Media

ABW Ambassador
    To everyone in the path of the storm - you are in our prayers. Please be safe.

Here are three snippets from a Yahoo article, which combined form a pretty scary story:

"the storm surge from Rita could reach 50 feet."

"Galveston, a city of 58,000 on a coastal island 8 feet above sea level"

"Jennifer McDonald in Galveston plans to ride Rita out. She and her husband have enough food and water to last 10 days in their wooden house. If it gets really bad, the couple will take to the roof."

I sure hope that these people change their mind, or that they're forcibly evacuated, or that the storm surge isn't as bad as predicted. Another place is saying to expect a 22 foot surge. They have a 17 foot seawall. They won't have a problem with the bowl effect like New Orleans, but it still sounds like it could be pretty devastating.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

My prayers are will all that are affected. I have an Aunt and Uncle in Houston that are planning to "ride it out". It's hard for me to not yell at them after everything we've seen in New Orleans and the surrounding areas. They are so stubborn, and I'm scared.

It seems that, although it is still a category 5 at this point, it is losing steam a little bit. I am just hoping that by the time it is supposed to reach land fall it will be less threatening. {sigh}

Sheri

Depending on their elevation in Houston, they may be fine.

The models at NOAA indicate that it'll probably be a Category 4 (and perhaps even Category 3) at landfall, but that's still pretty strong.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Some are also reporting that the weaking to a Category 4 is caused by an eyewall replacement and that once the replacement is finished it'll be as strong or stronger than before.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    Good luck, all. I just can't believe this is happening again.

Ebudae brought up an important point...if you had to get out of the area in a hurry are you familiar with back roads that can take you miles and miles away, north, south east and west? Good thing to know.

You need three kinds of maps in your car: a county-wide street map, a state road map and a regional road map that includes at least several states. A US road map is a good idea, too.

Web Ho - Design B!tch ~Michelle's Avatar
    Good luck to all of you. Lets hope it fizzles out some more before making landfall.
    ~Michelle
    "All I ask is a chance to prove that money can't make me happy."
    "Work to become, not to acquire." -- Confucius

Prayers for the safe exit and continued safety of all in Rita's path.

Your online family members are here for you. God speed and blessings.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    Wishing all the best to those in TX and SW La.

Hope your family will be safe BrattyKitty. My sis and her family are in Houston and are staying. If I could reach out and touch over the Internet, I'd knock some sense into her. It's frustrating to say the least.

We started getting the first bit a rain early this evening in Baton Rouge already. This really is a very large storm.

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    Got this off weather.com, from NOAA.

I snipped the parts that gave me the chills. Kellie, perhaps this will help your sister understand. I know it helped me and I've never been in anything worse than a Cat3. Whatever she decides to do I hope she and her family will be fine.
    FOR SUSTAINED WIND 90 TO 110 MPH WITH GUSTS 115 TO 135 MPH: EXTREMELY DANGEROUS WINDS WILL CAUSE EXTENSIVE DAMAGE...ALL MOBILE HOMES WILL BE DESTROYED!

STRUCTURAL DAMAGE: HOUSES OF POOR TO AVERAGE CONSTRUCTION WILL BE DESTROYED OR SEVERELY DAMAGED. MODERATE TO MAJOR DAMAGE OF WELL CONSTRUCTED HOUSES WILL INCLUDE FAILURE OF UP TO ONE HALF OF ALL GABLED ROOFS. IN ADDITION....UP TO ONE QUARTER OF EXTERIOR WALLS WILL FAIL.

ALUMINUM AND LIGHT WEIGHT STEEL ROOFS WILL BE TORN OFF BUILDINGS AT INDUSTRIAL PARKS. PARTIAL ROOF AND EXTERIOR WALL FAILURES ARE LIKELY AT LOW RISE APARTMENT BUILDINGS...ESPECIALLY THOSE OF POOR TO AVERAGE CONSTRUCTION. MOST WINDOWS IN HIGH RISE OFFICE BUILDINGS WILL BE BLOWN OUT...WITH OTHER MINOR TO MODERATE DAMAGE POSSIBLE DUE TO SWAYING.

AIRBORNE DEBRIS OF LIGHT TO MODERATE WEIGHT WILL CAUSE ADDITIONAL MAJOR DAMAGE...AS WELL AS INJURIES AND A FEW FATALITIES.
    NEAR TOTAL POWER LOSS IS EXPECTED. UP TO ONE HALF OF ALL POWER POLES WILL BE KNOCKED DOWN...AND HUNDREDS OF TRANSFORMERS WILL POP. THE AVAILABILITY OF POTABLE WATER WILL BE DIMINISHED AS FILTRATION SYSTEMS BEGIN TO FAIL.

NATURAL DAMAGE: THOUSANDS OF TREES WILL BE SEVERELY DAMAGED. UP TO THREE QUARTERS OF ALL HEALTHY SMALL TO MEDIUM SIZED TREES WILL SNAP OR BE UPROOTED... MOST COMMON ON SATURATED GROUND. UP TO ONE HALF OF HEALTHY LARGE TREES WILL SNAP OR BE UPROOTED. SEVERE DAMAGE IS EXPECTED TO CITRUS ORCHARDS...SOME ORCHARDS MAY BE DESTROYED. MOST NEWLY PLANTED GROUND CROPS WILL BE WIPED OUT. LIVESTOCK LEFT OUTSIDE WILL BE INJURED... SOME CRITICALLY. A FEW LIVESTOCK DEATHS ARE LIKELY.

FOR SUSTAINED WIND 110 TO 130 MPH WITH GUSTS 140 MPH OR MORE:
    CATASTROPHIC DAMAGE EXPECTED TO MAN MADE AND NATURAL STRUCTURES!

HOUSES OF POOR TO AVERAGE CONSTRUCTION WILL BE SEVERELY DAMAGED OR DESTROYED. WELL CONSTRUCTED HOMES WILL HAVE SUBSTANTIAL DAMAGE TO ROOF AND WALLS. DESTRUCTION MAY OCCUR TO HOMES WITH GABLED ROOFS... WITH THE WIND LIFTING THEM OFF. MORE THAN HALF OF ALL INDUSTRIAL BUILDINGS WILL BE DESTROYED...OTHERS WILL HAVE PARTIAL ROOF AND WALL DAMAGE. WOOD FRAMED GARDEN APARTMENT BUILDINGS WILL BE SEVERELY DAMAGED OR DESTROYED...AND OTHERS WILL HAVE PARTIAL ROOF AND WALL FAILURES.

HIGH RISE OFFICE BUILDINGS WILL SWAY DANGEROUSLY. MOST WINDOWS WILL BE BLOWN OUT...AND MODERATE STRUCTURAL DAMAGE IS POSSIBLE.
    AIRBORNE DEBRIS...SOME PIECES GREATER THAN 50 POUNDS...WILL CAUSE EXTENSIVE DAMAGE. PERSONS...PETS...AND LIVESTOCK EXPOSED TO THE WINDS ARE AT GREAT RISK FOR INJURY OR DEATH.\N\N ELECTRICITY AND WATER WILL BE UNAVAILABLE FOR DAYS...AND PERHAPS WEEKS...AFTER THE STORM PASSES. THE MAJORITY OF TREES WILL BE SNAPPED AND UPROOTED. LIVESTOCK EXPOSED TO THE WINDS WILL BE CRITICALLY INJURED OR KILLED.

PERSONS IN THE REGION SHOULD TAKE ACTION TO SECURE TRASH CANS...LAWN FURNITURE...AND OTHER LOOSE OR LIGHTWEIGHT OUTDOOR OBJECTS. HIGH WINDS CAN TOPPLE TREES...BLOW WEAKENED ROOFS OFF HOUSES...AND DOWN POWER LINES.

HURRICANE RITA IS COMPARABLE TO HURRICANE CARLA OF 1961...THE LAST DESTRUCTIVE CATEGORY 4 STORM TO HIT THE UPPER TEXAS COAST

Looks like the choices are to get out.. or get to a shelter. There is no way you want to be in the path of this. This is no time for Texan stubborness!

Hurricanes do tend to drop off in terms of severity quickly once they hit land, but that thing it heading straight to Houston across the water. As for Galveston.. well, the BBC painted a grim picture about what's going to happen to THAT place.

Let's keep our fingers crossed on this one.
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

Sending good thoughts for everyone in South Texas and Louisiana. We certainly don't need this right now, as if we ever did. It's just too close behind Katrina. No down time, not enough clean up time.

Maybe this will be it for major storms this season - this is certainly enough!

The news last night said almost all of the hotels in Tulsa are full - and we have a lot of hotel rooms in this city. Lots of people from Texas in town to ride out the storm.

Andy

I am so sorry about all this and am sending energy to all who need it.

I will light a candle for all, right now.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

stay safe all! thoughts and prayers are with all of you. Oh and get the Hell out if your in the path of it.

Unfortunately the levies have breached again already but most if not all of the people are gone from the area in that ward.

Hi All,

I'm Praying for the Katrina Hurricane victims, and those in the path of Rita.

Be safe and Love You,
    HumbleFish

25. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread