Can someone please translate this CJ reply?
    My Question:
    I've attached my downloaded Commission Detail & Transaction Detail reports for Wednesday, Aug. 7th 2005. Please explain the descrepencies as these reports differ Every Day.

CJ Reply:

Hello,

There are a few reasons why you are noticing discrepancies between the reports. First, the commission detail report from a specific day is tracking the amount of individual commissions you are earning for that specific day, so that is the only information you will see in that report. However, the transaction detail report shows accounting wrap-ups where closed or qualified commissions are paid by transferring final sums to your account. The transactions you see in the TD report are usually a bunch of different commissions from a particular day and advertiser. These separate commissions are entered in under one transaction ID number and usually show up a month later, after the commissions for the previous month took place.

Also, some transactions in the transaction detail report go two months back but you will see them in this months report because of corrections and extensions.

However, the reason that transactions came in a large number on Sept. 7th was because CJ ran a script to close any transactions from July. This was just a temporary problem and I can assure you that all of the transactions that were reported are ok.

I hope this helps.

Can someone/anyone translate this reply in plain english?

Can someone/anyone translate this reply in plain english?
    Translation:

Hello,

We have made the reports almost impossible to decipher. In fact, none of us here at CJ really understand them, so we're providing responses that SOUND like they are helpful, when they really aren't.

We had a major snafu on Sept. 7th, and still haven't figured out what happened! What a mess!! You wouldn't believe this place!!! We have no idea what's going on!!!!

All of the problems we are having are temporary, including the ones we don't know about yet, the ones that we thought were fixed but aren't, and the ones that we were left with after the upgrade that didn't take. Everything should be OK at some unnamed point in the future.

I hope this helps. (If it does, please explain it to me!)

Love,

CJ Support

Sorry, I have no idea what they're saying. I find the reports a total and complete mess. Too much clicking, not user friendly at all. CJ is a mess.

Andy

It just means.
    I hope this email confuses the heck out of you and will keep you from bugging us for the next month.

Makes perfect sense actually, but I still don't see the need for the transaction reports. All they do is confuse publishers. They are used to show the movement from pending commissions to current commissions, hence the discussion about July and August activity in the September transaction reports (the extended transactions from July were released on September 7 apparently).

So, each month before the 20th you'll see aggregated transactions post to the transaction reports. For example, say you had 10 x $10 commissions for a particular lead or commission type in August and the merchant did not extend transactions. You will likely see at some point before Sept 20 a transaction for $100 hit the transaction detail report. Whatever is left in your "locked" commissions after your payment has been made is apparently commissions that haven't been paid by the merchant (to CJ). I believe they could be considered "extended due to non-payment" in a sense.

I still think CJ should flip-flop those words (commission and transaction) to make the reports more clear. We are looking at transaction detail when we view our daily activity, and commission detail when we see the activity related to the actual payment (i.e. commission) we are getting.

Talking
    And'ys translation made sense to me.

Andy,

PRICELESS!!!!

I'd like to know what happened around Sept. 7. My sales took a nose dive on the 85th, but better than normal on the 9th. 90% of my sales are non batched, so I can't figure out why so few sales showed up for Sept. 8th.
    Ron Bechdolt | Affiliate Program Management Consultant
    7 Days A Week Marketing

What Ticketguyz said. Basically, the transaction reports are for accounting purposes ... to move the money from the Pending Commissions section to the Current Balance section. The transaction reports are pretty meaningless for tracking daily sales unless you want to see the exact date a transaction went into Locked Status. For example, you can see this if you run the Transaction Detail report for the Entire Month of August.

I think what has confused most of us (it did me at first) is our natural impulse from the past is to run Transaction Reports. I think CJ messed up by naming the reports what they did. It would have been a lot easier on all of us if the Commission Reports had been called Transaction Reports, and visa versa. But, guess it's too late now. It's just a matter of readjusting your thinking and getting used to the new names for the old reports. I hope that not too many of us are such old dogs that we can't learn new tricks.

Basically, if you want to see the reports the way you were used to seeing them before the upgrade, just run the Commission Detail Report by Posting Date. Personally, I prefer running it by Event Date, because everything for one day appears in that day.

I also like the addition of the Commission Summary Report. You can run that report for the current month to see a summary of how much you've made with each merchant.

The overall summary you see when you click on the Transaction Reports TAB is nice too. Without having to run reports (like you had to with the old system) you can actually see at a glance how much has been Extended and how much has been Locked.

My main complaint is that a third of my Locked sales from August didn't get transferred down into the Commissions section under Current Balance prior to getting paid in September.

Used to be that you knew you weren't getting paid for the Extended Sales this month, but you could always count on getting all your Locked Sales. I'd like to know what's up with that. Now I have to wait another month for a third of my earnings for August?

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy

Basically, if you want to see the reports the way you were used to seeing them before the upgrade, just run the Commission Detail Report by Posting Date. Personally, I prefer running it by Event Date, because everything for one day appears in that day.
    Tracy... make sure you run by posting date as well, as you could miss batch and other transactions that might have an old event date.

Yes, I go on those hunting expeditions when my spreadsheet balance doesn't match the overall Summary Balance at CJ. But, I only have one merchant that batches, so it doesn't happen very often.

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread