Yay they landed safely
    Who watched the JetBlue landing? That was scary. I was so happy when they landed. It was just like when the Yankees win the World Series.

Web Ho - Design B!tch ~Michelle's Avatar
    I was holding my breath and didn't even realize it until it was over.

That pilot did an amazing job!
    ~Michelle
    "All I ask is a chance to prove that money can't make me happy."
    "Work to become, not to acquire." -- Confucius

JetBlue? What is that? I thought that was the stuff you put in the dishwasher to keep away water spots.

Okay, this topic was not on the CNN page, what is it about?
    Ron Bechdolt | Affiliate Program Management Consultant
    7 Days A Week Marketing

That was very scary but I missed the landing. Kind of cool now that it's all over and everyone is safe. Did the front wheelies break off or straighten out?

Thanks for the info

Yeah, just found the video on CNN. That is amazing!!! Whole front landing gear is skewed sideways, yet they land the plane safely.
    Ron Bechdolt | Affiliate Program Management Consultant
    7 Days A Week Marketing

the pilot did a great job. I was relieved watching it come to a safe stop.

- SP

Senior Affiliate Manager AMWSO James - AMWSO's Avatar
    I watched it on the news...WOW...Again the pilot did an outstanding job...Understandably looked VERY shaken walking down the steps. Pilots these days in the big jets don't really do too much - just take off an land with little in between from what i've heard - but when they're needed they really earn their pay. This guy did in spades!
    James D. Nardell
    AMWSO.com Affiliate Management Team
    email: James.Nardell [@] AMWSO.com
    Phone: (805) 624-5669
    IM - Google/Skype: JamesNardell
    iolo technologies | Paychex | Personal VCard Website

Quote Originally Posted by HardwareGeek
    Who watched the JetBlue landing? That was scary. I was so happy when they landed. It was just like when the Yankees win the World Series.
    You mean the Red Sox

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lightspeed
    You mean the Red Sox
    Ok Red Sox since it won't happen again for another 100 years.

Quote Originally Posted by HardwareGeek
    Well, not quite as exciting as when the Yankees win the World Series... But still exciting! Everyone will be able to experience that AGAIN, this year!

Streaatz

ABW Ambassador
    I watched it live on the news - amazing. I have a pilot in the family, so I got a play-by-play of what was happening and what the most likely outcome would be. Those people must have been so scared!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lightspeed
    You mean the Red Sox
    Who are they?

Streaatz

Influencer Marketing GravityFed's Avatar
    I talked to an airline pilot that said it wasnt that big of a deal.. and that they train rigorously for landings like that. I wonder why the media blew it up so much.. (??)

It was just like when the Marlins beat the yankees. Very exciting and I'm happy they made it safely.

It's not that big of a deal to a pilot who trains for it, but since it doesn't happen very frequently (and since they got good video footage of it), it was great news.

I had an interesting flight once. We were landing in St. Louis, and it was really overcast. We were descending through the clouds to land. I heart the flaps and the landing gear, and I was watching to see when we would break through the clouds. I knew we would probably be landing any second (based on the time since the landing gear went down) but the clouds didn't break. All of a sudden, we started accelerating rapidly, pulling up, then banking. About a minute later, the pilot came on the intercom and explained that the plane landing in front of us had slowed down more than they were supposed to and that there was no longer a safe distance between us so he had to abort the landing. We circled back around, got in line again, and landed fine.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

The commentary I was hearing here made it sound like it was far from the most dangerous landing a pilot could have to handle, but either way the pilot handled that one beautifully!

Michael (Hello from Oklahoma) and all,

What you experienced was a go around. I've done them many times (in my private pilot training). If you are not in a certain setup (speed, configuration, ground situation) by certain altitude the go around decision is automatic. There are rules for them but it is always pilots discretion. It is big deal in the commercial world to because it affects alot things happening on the ground. Connections, people waiting for the plane, other planes waiting for those pilots etc.

The training thing: Pilots train for the things that are most likely to happen and anything out of the ordinary is a very big deal. I am sure most pilot train for gear up landing, or a "one of the gear" did not come down landing. I'd be surprised if there was too much training for the "your gear is down but it is sideways" landing. I bet in that situation the just used the procedure for the "nose wheel did not come down" landing.

It is great that it all ended well. And as pilots are fond of saying: "Any landing you can walk away from is a good landing. Any landing where you can use the plane again is a GREAT landing"

Have a great Saturday all,
    Patrick

"...Any landing where you can use the plane again is a GREAT landing"
    I never thought about it, but I suppose they will just repair that front landing gear, or replace the whole thing, then put the plane into service again after the FAA releases it.

This might not have been a huge thing for the pilot, but I can guarantee you the passengers were concerned. Anytime something doesn't work properly on an airplane, there's reason to be concerned.

It was amazing and terrifying to watch on television. I'm so glad everything worked out so well. That pilot and crew deserve raises for the great job they did - passengers interviewed said they were very organized, very professional, and knew what needed to be done. Bodes well for JetBlue.

Andy

Oh that plane needs some major front end body work. Not to mention it will probably go in for an end to end inspection for the various systems. There is radar on the front end of that plane, and there are miles of cable running through it in all kinds of places. Who knows what got damaged. But it wasn't people and that is the most important part!

What's even worse? The passengers had live TV feeds on the airplane watching the whole thing unfold. They were listening to the commentary and could see the live footage of their plane. From what I read this was turned off during landing as these type of feed always are.

I don't see it there yet, but once there is an accident report it will be up on the September 2005 database:

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/AccList.asp?month=9&year=2005

22. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread