Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Before I continue...
    ... please look at http://forum.abestweb.com and tell me your thoughts on the new set up.

Of course I'm going to work on the GUI and useability but need some feed back to see if I should continue on this route or not.

The main impetus is to remove [what seamed to be] the never ending scroll of the 300+ listings.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

I personally do not like it. It looks kind of cluttered.

Haiko,

I LIKE IT!!! Nice to have one page where I can scan my various networks or merchants and see what is new instead of my current way of looking at new posts and then looking for my merchants or networks.

Only suggestions is to find a way to keep word wrap from happening when you have a section with all those merchants in it. That is just a little confusing to the eye. For example, if you made BackcountryOutlet.com instead as BackcountryOutlet, it might just fit on one line. Know you are not done and probably already thought of this, but you did ask for suggestions.

It's too bad you can't narrow the Threads and Posts column. I doubt many people use that. Any way you can make the font smaller on those and thus narrow the wasted screen space on those two?

Looks like you put a lot of work into this one. Much appreciated.
    Ron Bechdolt | Affiliate Program Management Consultant
    7 Days A Week Marketing

GUI issues so far, Ok not a prob, I guess my q is does anyone have a prob with the colopsed list of merchants as subforums.

The GUI, as I said is not the problem with this as my main impetus is to shorten the scrolling
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

Oh, I missed the "What's Going On at ABestWeb?" section at the bottom of that page. Very nice. I'd actually make a point of looking at that once a day with everything right there in one place.
    Ron Bechdolt | Affiliate Program Management Consultant
    7 Days A Week Marketing

my two cents
    I didn't like the long scroll. Neat? Better than me. usability? ok. Have you considered using drop down menus? I know that doesn't allow people to see listings, but it does save space.

you may want to list the primary section, then users click-through to see secondary/sub sections. For instance: have one listing for your parasiteware section, then all the others can be viewed when a user click-throughs into that section.

I use cable internet at home, and it does not take long for pages to load. However, at work I use dial-up and it takes forever for abw to load.
    Last edited by Lurker Jones; September 21st, 2005 at 11:09 PM. Reason: additional comment
    [B][COLOR=Red]I look forward to Google's demise[/COLOR][/B]
    Look who is suing Google - [URL=http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=google+gets+sued]click here[/URL] and [URL=http://search.msn.com/results.aspx?q=google+gets+sued&FORM=MSNH&srch_type=0]here[/URL] and [URL=http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=google+gets+sued&fr=FP-tab-web-t&toggle=1&cop=&ei=UTF-8]here[/URL]

I like it :-)
    Ebudae

I don't really use that page very often, except to go to a specific forum. It's definitely shorter, but what you lose is the preview of the most recent post on each of the forums that are now subforums.

To me, it's different but not a significant improvement or setback.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

I very very rarely use that page but it does look good to me.
    One day parasites and their ilk will be made illegal, I bet a few Lawyers will be pissed off when the day comes.
    Mr. Spitzer is fetching it nearer

YouTrek

ABW Ambassador
    The scrolling was a bit much, especially for people on slower/older computers.

Looks good, but prefer the older layout

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    It's definitely shorter, but what you lose is the preview of the most recent post on each of the forums that are now subforums.
    Yeah and that's what I don't like about it. I like seeing previews of the most recent posts on all forums. I use that page a lot to see what's going on. The scrolling didn't really bother me too much.

I like it the old way.
    [left][font=Arial]"If you come to a fork in the road, take it" - Yogi Berra [/font][/left]

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    The current layout takes a long time to scroll through. The new layout is a bit busy, visually.

Here's a thought. Have two indexes.

Index 1 = Forum and sub-forum headings with a last post date. That's it. For guests and anyone else who wants to locate a forum.

Index 2 = New Posts. For registered, logged-in users only. (Which we already have and it works great.)

Sorry Haiko - I don't like it..
    Some Will Have The Subforums and Some won't..

What is it that you say once in awhile?
    "If It Isn't Broke Don't Break It..."

Besides Everyone is used to the board looking the way it does...
    I know exactly how much to scroll my wheel mouse to get to any forum...
    That will screw my scroll precentages all up...

LOL

It's hard trying to improve something that doesn't need it.....
    the board is fine.. the way it is...

BUT - I resist change of any kind.. accept the kind you can spend...

---------------------------

I do have a small script that will collapse those Forum menus -
    It's pretty nice.. it even uses a session cookie to remember which menu you opened and which ones you didn't.... if you want it.. send me a PM...

i never use that page.
    but you will always find that people dont like change.
    but they soon get used to it.

it looks ok to me.
    Find us at shareasale.com 12% commission
    Shareasale Merchant 7191
    PLAZAN SKIN CARE As seen on TV . Used by Jennifer Lopez

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar

I like it a lot Haiko. I'll miss scrolling through the "new" posts but we'll get used to the new set up soon enough. Nice job!

It must be this time of year ... everyone's got upgrade fever.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Quote Originally Posted by Neil
    but you will always find that people dont like change.
    but they soon get used to it.
    I don't have a problem with change, as long as it's change for the better. In this case I don't think it is. I go to that page all the time whether I'm logged in or not. I think being able to see previews of the most recent posts on all forums makes it more enticing. It makes me want stay for a while.

Just my opinion.
    [left][font=Arial]"If you come to a fork in the road, take it" - Yogi Berra [/font][/left]

Outsourced Program Manager Chris -  AMWSO's Avatar
    I LIKE it a LOT , it solves that problem of empty threads where the forums redirect to other locations AND makes it easier to scroll to the bottom...

Cheers

Chrios
    Affiliate Marketing by AMWSO. Skype - chrissanderson ::: TEL 1-720-336-1784 ::: www.amwso.net
    Join our affiliate programs :Vaper Empire, Iolo, Art of Tea, or See ALL our Programs here

I like it for the Network forums, but not for Affiliate Lounge. I'd like to be able to see the last topic in each subforum in that section without having to click on each one to see what's going on.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I like it. Usually I would adamantly say, "if it ain't broke..." but it took way too much scrolling to get to the bottom.

I hardly ever use that page, though. But sometimes I need to use it to get to a particular forum, and it always had struck me how looonngg the page was!
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    I don't really use that page very often, except to go to a specific forum. It's definitely shorter, but what you lose is the preview of the most recent post on each of the forums that are now subforums.

To me, it's different but not a significant improvement or setback.
    I agree about the most recent post problem. There's no way to know the most recent post for each individual forum. I don't use this page though and it won't affect me at all. As long as the New Posts page doesn't change, I'm happy

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

For those of you who are scrolling, why not use your browser's find feature? I never scroll down that page. When I'm going to visit a particular merchant's forum, I'll just press apple+f and type the merchant name. PC users will have a different command. Another comment I'd like to add is if you're going to use the condensed layout, why not condense every section? It's a bit odd that some forums are condensed while others use the older format. There should be two versions of this page: the older longer version and the 100% condensed version.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Based on the way it looks right now (Sept 22), I almost like it. It's sort of like German economic reforms - either leave it alone, or make a real change, don't go only halfway.

I like the way the Linkshare, CJ, and SAS sections get grouped. You have to be aware of what the colors for each icon mean, but you can get where you wnat quickly and easily, and the collapsing is VERY good for the page length.

But then it moves on to Other Ad Networks, Outsource Program Managers, and all the areas below that contain so many top-level groups that don't get consolidated, that the savings of the prior groupings is completely lost. In fact, for the first time / new user, this mix-n-match approach would be awfully confusing and may lead some to just go away thinking we are JADC (Just Another Disorganized Community).

What would probably be most effective is groupings like in the Linkshare group:
    Blue separator line with major category name, below it would be that major category name again, and then small-text of each sub-category with a colored icon indicating whether there were new posts. My guess is that this means Linkshare is a 1st level group AND a second level group, with eDiets, Allzines, etc being 3rd level groups.

Then, for a section like Other Ad Networks, "Other Ad Networks" would be both a 1st and 2nd level group, with Google Adsense, incentaClick, and others being 3rd level below it.

One further suggestion - if there are many 3rd levels grouped, don't show the subject of the latest message - just show the date. If there are 10 3rd levels all grouped, and you show the subject line of just the last entry across the whole collection, many users may ignore the whole ocllection if the message isn't from a group they normally have interest in - i.e. if the last message entered in the CJ group collection is "JC Whitney Datafeed problems", the visitor might skip over everything there, because they don't care about JC Whitney. Yet there was also an important Oreck message posted just minutes before the JC Whitney message that would be important to them as an Oreck affil. If you only post the overall date, users will be more inclined to check the icon colors by each sub-group and actually go in and read them.

If you do redesign this page, whether you include all the above ideas or not, it sure would be nice to have it replace the default home page. I find that one SOOOO cluttered and confusing that it must be turning new visitors away - they don't know where to start clicking. At least with the proposed layout, it will be more clear as to what is here and what we're all about.
    Tom C.
    [URL=http://www.cafepress.com/simplesignshop]Simple Sign Shop[/URL]

Every day leave someone or something better than you found it.

Haiko,

I like the new layout. I think having the merchants condensed in this manner is much cleaner, and will be easier to navigate to the ones you want to view. Not all affiliates have joined every merchant within a network, so it's nice to not have to deal with forums you don't have an interest in.

Scrolling was getting to be too much, you feel like you're scrolling all the way to China to get to the bottom of the forum.

Andy

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast