ABW Ambassador
    Email Storage Solution?
    Does anyone know of a good company that provides email storage for Outlook Exchange email? I've been using Email Saver XE to save emails and then load them to my server, but the file is over 800mb and the ftp transfer is timing out before it fully loads even with cable. There is a glitch when I save the email to several smaller files and they don't come back the right way so that isn't an option. Plus, I would like something that I can just access if I need to if there is an emergency and I lose access to my computers, so that I don't need to have the software installed and remember the registration code to use. I tried to save the emails to a folder on my hard drive but there were too many steps to do for it and it was a big hassle.

I need something that will archive all my existing email and all new email and that works with multiple email addresses. I looked online but either the storage is too small (10 mb) or else they don't have prices which probably means it costs more than I want to spend.

Anyone know of a good company? If not, what do you do to store your emails so you have access to them in case of an emergency? With all the natural disasters going on these days I'm obsessing on earthquake preparedness. I'm trying to set it up so that if I lose my computer and backup hard drive, everything will be backed up off site and I can function from anywhere.

Thanks,
    Kip

Gmail (now Googlemail) has a POP option, with about 2.5 gb of storage. I haven't used it myself, but I see the option in my gmail control panel.
    Tom C.
    [URL=http://www.cafepress.com/simplesignshop]Simple Sign Shop[/URL]

Every day leave someone or something better than you found it.

lurk
    I believe Gmail will only allow files up to 10 megs though.
    Jason

ABW Ambassador
    I'm actually looking for a company where I can store all my old emails in one swoop. With gmail I would have to forward all my email to the gmail account. I'm looking for something that will archive all my Outlook Exchange emails and then save all incoming and outgoing ones.

Anyone know of one? Do you have an offsite backup of your emails? If so, what do you use? If you don't, would you be okay if you lost all your old emails? I would be hurting quite a bit, particularly with my receipts for tax purposes as well as some others.

I have the same problem as you and my solution was to buy exchange server and run a mail server for my self by paying 30 extra dollars a month to my ISP but it can be expensive.

So I opted not to do that and well HP loves me because of all the INK and Paper I use from printing important emails. I have a fantastic fileing system.

Export Folders
    Here is how I manage things at the office with outlook:

I make a number of sub-folders under my inbox. I then sort emails into those subfolders
    Inbox
    -- To Review
    -- Clients
    -- Projects
    -- Expenses
    -- Misc

Once the subfolders are created, I go to File - Import/Export

Choose Export to a File

Choose Personal Folder File (.pst)

Navigate in the browser window to select one of the sub-folders, i.e. Clients
    -- Click on the Include Subfolders if there are subfolders you want to include
    -- Replace the default name and path that Outlook assigns with something you will be able to find later. I put everything in a root folder called "OutlookSync"

Now go to File - Open - Outlook Data File

Browse to and select the .pst file you just created.

Outlook will create a new folder at the bottom of the folder list on the left hand side. Outlook will always open this .pst file every time you start Outlook until you remove by right-clicking on it had selecting "Close"

You can now delete the subfolder for that topic from the Inbox

From this point forward, move items from inbox to this .pst folder

The beauty of all this is that you now have manageable size files that you can copy to your FTP server without worry of timeout or backup to CD. You can even create multiple copies of an email in different folders by holding CTRL as you drag from one folder to another.

You can even download them from your FTP server to a friend's computer with Outlook when you're traveling. You just open the .pst file without even logging on to a mail server, then close and delete the .pst file when you're done reviewing the old messages, and there is nothing left over on the temporary computer's disk or on a remote server anywhere. For me, I generally have an "Old-xxxx" and "Current-xxxx" version of each topic, or possibly a "2004-Receipts" version.

Hope these ideas help!
    Tom C.

Just forgot you can also use Microsoft Outlooks Business Contacts. I use that as well along with the subfolders but I love my paper trail.

Outlook Web Access
    OK, I think I've found what you're looking for Kip: Outlook Web Access (OWA)

We have it at my office, and it just occured to me that there might be commercial providers offering it too. I cannot see the .PST files you have on your PC (like I described in my earlier message), but I think it's what you're really looking for anyway. I can vouch that the OWA interface is quite robust including all the drag and drop features as long as you are accessing it from IE.

There may be other companies offering it, but here's one I found:
    http://services.mail2web.com/Persona...l/features.asp

As best I can tell, you can use it with any POP mail address, although I didn't research the detailed technical limitations that might be involved.
    Tom C.

ABW Ambassador
    Cool! Thanks everyone. I will check out the various options and see if one of those will work.

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread