Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    If you were starting all again what would you do
    hi if you were starting all over again but had built your websiate but had no little cash what would you do first? i think i post a bit to much in this forum

Register with search engines.
    Link exchanges.
    Free advertising in ezines.
    Word of mouth (tell everybody I know what I'm doing, twist their arm to vist okay not really but yeah)

LeDonna

Integrated php and mysql into all my sites from the beggining, that would have put me much further ahead.

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    When I first came here, I thought of ABW as a piece of software (I can be cold like that, I'm not a forum / blog type of person by nature). But I've learned over time spent here, that while this fantastic place may be a forum / board on its surface, it's a real community and the relationships I've formed here are very real and very beneficial. So I would have started much earlier to know people like Haiko, Kellie, Andy Rodriguez, Uncle Scooter, Ben Edelman, AlexBet (he a graphics god!), JRami, several key merchants here and many others that I now know personally.

I'm having lunch today with one of these folks - the information that we'll exchange over pizza helps us both tremendously! I've lost count of how many times we've had lunch together - you can't put a number on the questions I've had answered, the doubts I've explored with another aff markerter seeing the same thing, the skills and ideas, direction and motivation I've picked up from this one person - and he from me. Work on getting a few close allies early on - it'll at least double your chances of success.

I have picked up tips from Leader, TrustNo1, Ecomcity, Dirk G and so many others here - tips that would normally cost me money and time to get. I would have started a mental list of "my power posters" a long time ago as well - took me a while to learn to quickly sort through the garbage that necessarily comes in this open environment and from the process (I shudder to think what my early posts would look like to me now!)

I also wasted a lot of time discovering who the forum moderators are and why their posts are more important than most - Haiko picks great people, with skills and experience and a willingness to share - learn to forget the stupid babysitting they are here for, and instead, look to recognize their posts as good dope.

I wish I would have learned CSS and PHP a long time ago as well. The CSS saves so much time in new site construction, design and ongoing maintenance. The PHP (I'm still new with it) lets me implement some very cool site designs and concepts and it makes my sites MUCH harder for people to copy. As my PHP skills are improving, I am constructing a dynamic datafeed site and I'm more excited than I've been in a long time about a new site / merchant in my bag. Along the way I discovered GoldenCAN which is going to allow me to launch my new site many months, perhaps a year, before I can learn to do all I can do with php and a datafeed.

I wish I bought RoboForm (they have a free version) a long time ago - it's a great spyware-free, Haiko-endorsed password manager - I've got over 400 passwords and I struggled in the past to manage them - and what a waste of time that was before I got RoboForm.

For the first year, I NEVER even looked at my site / server logs... that was a big mistake. I never knew about the 404 errors that needed fixing, the keywords I could mine, the traffic analysis I could do, the ROI aspect I could use to determine where my ad spends where having the greatest impact and more.

And if I was starting over, I'd start with and Indy or ShareASale, instead of CJ or LS. The amount of cookie-stuffing theft I have seen personally through my own testing is not even yet truly recognized here at ABestWeb (excepting Kellie, Ben, Haiko and a few others). The amount of outright commission theft going on, and ignored (and therefore allowed) by CJ and LS, is mind boggling. If you're new, and trying to make a profitable business of affiliate marketing, it's not an easy road, the skill set is a complicated one - but add a big chunk of theft into your war and you'll lose a lot of battles. I think LS's affiliate verification process is the beginning of a new mindset there - I hope I'm right. But CJ - they continue to aggressively seek out and promote those that are the worst thieves. CJ sucks my heinny. They are a plague enabler. We thank Todd for his tiny little posts from time to time - it disgusts me - can I have another drop of water... please... mr. torturer... we're making them money and they've completely lost site of that little fact. They are the worst communicating merchant / network bar none. My indy merchants know my name, give me their cell numbers, invite me to their homes!!! CJ treats me like shit as they invite cheaters to steal commissions from me. When I report cheaters to them, my emails go unanswered. When I out them here, Todd posts that they "discovered" the cheating recently and are in the process of taking action... and the action never comes. I am prepping a site for a new merchant of mine - they are SO appealing to me that I was willing to break my own no-CJ rule - they recently announced they're opening a 2nd program at ShareASale - I almost cried when I got the news... Avoiding CJ is a key strategy for me now and I'd recommend that to anyone starting out.

From a newbie take my heartfelt thanks for your post. I am going to take the text your wrote and copy/paste it into a notepad file on my desktop. The information you gave was invaluable.

Comparing my minute experience to your post I can tell I was lucky by registering with ShareASale first. I have yet to use anything from them, but I am aim for the GlamourShades company. And I already have a tiny site set up to Aff back to posters.com.

I think before I go too much further I need to read for a week these tidbits of wisdom sprinkled around the boards. I'd like to be more effective with my time, and I am not going to do it by jumping into DreamWeaver everyday. As per your instructions I am going to start seeking out some key people to add to my 'List of smart people' (I may ask you to be one of them).

Oh... and hello from Oklahoma City.
    Patrick
    Last edited by PatrickAllmond; September 24th, 2005 at 09:44 AM. Reason: Update

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    I spent 5 years on the USS Oklahoma City (SSN 723) fast attack submarine... dignitaries and such visited us regularly... know your city well... the fine people of your city donated money to my submarine's rec and emergency fund - to give us picnics (fammily stresses were high with all that separation / sea time and the cold war was also in full swing) and money for family emergencies the crew might have run into (the Navy didn't pay very well)... of the 80+ submarines based in Norfolk, we ALWAYS had the largest rec and emerg fund - says a lot about Oklahoma City which is a much smaller city than many others with subs named after them.

Guess it's my turn to return the generousity. When you get enough post to have private messaging rights here, drop me a line and I'll help you out.

WIll do. I tip my hat to you good sir.

This is a good topic, but I really can't offer a good answer. I think everything that's I've done to reach this point is critical and I wouldn't have it any other way. I have no regrets and am a stronger person for everything I've experienced. Now if it's words of wisdom I'd like to pass on, I have a few of those.

Don't rely on Google! This is probably the most important lesson I've learned in my experience with affiliate marketing. Free search engine traffic can be lucrative, but it can also be taken away in a day. Always focus on your visitors and offer them features they'll enjoy and use on a regular basis. Don't aim for the quick dollar unless you're willing to lose it all in one foul swoop. It's much better to aim for the long run and maintain your visitors like they're your friends. Talk to them and give them what they want (no I don't mean products). They need information and a sense that they've found something of value.

Think about the sites you use on a regular basis and consider the aspects that you find most useful. If you aren't trying to mimic these features for your own visitors, you'll lose them as quickly as you gained them.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Like usual, I'm the polar opposite of Snib.

If I had it to do over again, I'd have bought THOUSANDS of domains, sat on most of them--and once I cracked that algo so I could get all (or at least mostly) #1-#5 consistently, in every category, I'd have put them ALL up!
    What Google and the other engines did to their ranks even after just 2 months of such a run, would be totally irrelevant, because I'd be retired and well-set.

Although I'd still enjoy reading ABW, from the comfort of a whirlpool spa in a very humongous FL manor.

(Although if you're not near retirement--don't rely on Google! However, alternate means of getting traffic should remember the *objective!* Which is NOT to make friends out of your visitors. It's to SELL STUFF! Join a matchmaker site or put up a hobby site, if you're looking for friends...)

As for CJ, I still like them, despite their issues.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Can you please elaborate on why you'd buy so many domains? I am web hosting company also, but a newbie here and I'd just to understand why. I don't agree/disagree - just trying to get smarter.

Can you please elaborate on why you'd buy so many domains? I am web hosting company also, but a newbie here and I'd just to understand why. I don't agree/disagree
    its like the antiques i guess.

u buy them in the hope that they go up in demand at a later point in time, so u can sell them to get more money..

or the reason could be the domain closely reflects ur business / site and u dont want to be left out

hi if you were starting all over again but had built your websiate but had no little cash what would you do first? i think i post a bit to much in this forum
    exchanges of all types : banner, text link, popup etc..
    join forums and post like a possessed person.
    at every given chance and oppurtunity write my site address. whereever possible.
    restaurant tables, counters, public bathrooms everywhere u go

Quote Originally Posted by patrick24601
    Can you please elaborate on why you'd buy so many domains? I am web hosting company also, but a newbie here and I'd just to understand why. I don't agree/disagree - just trying to get smarter.
    Some people like to purchase hundreds if not thousands of domains in order to slap affiliate links all over them. They hope that maybe one or two of those domains will rank well in the search engines for a couple weeks. These sites are usually covered with nothing but datafeed content and AdSense ads. The search engines may think the site is a merchant site selling the products listed, so the pages will rank in Google or Yahoo and customers will be sent their way. When in fact, the site is just a ruse to get customers to click over to the merchant thinking they're already at the merchant's website. The affiliate earns commissions and the customer never returns to the affiliate site again. Sites like this usually have long fleeting domain names that were never meant to be remembered like www.buy-lots-of-cheap-books-here.com.

The search engines are constantly removing sites like this from their results, so it won't rank for very long. This is why this type of affiliate builds so many sites. They're prepared when the search engines dump their sites for obvious reasons.

As you can see, this is a very risky method of doing business and it really does no good to anybody except the affiliate. It gives the merchant a bad name for endorsing this behavior while customers don't like stumbling upon these abominations. Luckily the search engines are getting better and better at detecting this type of site and it's becoming much more difficult to earn a living doing this. It's an uphill battle all the way and eventually the affiliate will lose.

- Scott

As you can see, this is a very risky method of doing business and it really does no good to anybody except the affiliate.
    While I agree that making a site "sticky" is a much more reliable long-term method, I think it's a little much to state that the affiliate is the only one that benefits from a straight datafeed/adsense site.

If products are sold, the affiliate benefits, the merchant benefits, and the buyer benefits from the purchase made.

When I purchase online, and I already know what I want, I could frankly care less if the site is attempting to be my friend and give me a warm fuzzy feeling.

Quote Originally Posted by Steele
    While I agree that making a site "sticky" is a much more reliable long-term method, I think it's a little much to state that the affiliate is the only one that benefits from a straight datafeed/adsense site.

If products are sold, the affiliate benefits, the merchant benefits, and the buyer benefits from the purchase made.

When I purchase online, and I already know what I want, I could frankly care less if the site is attempting to be my friend and give me a warm fuzzy feeling.
    I guess I'm mostly referring to savvy web users. People who have been online for a while and know the ropes try to avoid sites like this. They may work for internet newbies who aren't even aware of what's happening, but as people learn more and become more familiar with the net they'll find much less value in these sites. They'll build up a list of shopping bookmarks and stop searching Google for products.

It really just depends on your target audience. Savvy web users are a little more difficult to convert, but they're much more valuable customers as they'll return to make purchases at your site time and again.

- Scott

If I were starting all again, I just would start all again in 1998, not 2005.

At least I'm not saying "If I were starting all again, I just would start all again in 2005, not 2012."

We are still pioneers.
    "Effective people are not problem-minded; they're opportunity minded. They feed opportunities and starve problems."

Quote Originally Posted by sendmemybill
    We are still pioneers.

very well put..!
    Visit me over at... [URL=http://www.socialrankings.com]Social Rankings[/URL] or [URL=http://revenuerobot.blogspot.com]Revenue Robot[/URL]

ABW Ambassador
    Yup. They do try to avoid these sites. That is why they click on the affiliate link to go straight to the merchant site and to buy the product.

Quote Originally Posted by womanht
    Yup. They do try to avoid these sites. That is why they click on the affiliate link to go straight to the merchant site and to buy the product.
    Sure, but you won't see them coming back to click that link again

- Scott

I started back in 99. If I knew what I knew now I would have focused on mysql and php and parked several dozen domain names.

I am going to see if I can start a poll under one of the technical forums to see what percentage favors asp.net vs. php. I use both. And I find in ASP.NET I can focus more on function and less on the technical end. In PHP you don't have much choice - you will be learning PHP/MySQL in depth to get stuff done.

Leader wrote:

...remember the *objective!* Which is NOT to make friends out of your visitors. It's to SELL STUFF! Join a matchmaker site or put up a hobby site, if you're looking for friends...
    I sure wish I'd had THAT advice when I started out!

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by delevonto
    first : I'd get a job and save money to advertise. Starting with zero ad $ is a great way to guarantee failure. The ones who need to advertise most do not and those that do just keep growing...and then there are tose that jerk themselves into a losers fantasy. no advertising budget=hell freezes over before U succeed. simple huh? yep and true as snow is white while faling.

I'd read all I could on Search Engine Optimization and do all of the pages of my new website right - making sure they hit the best positions within SE searches. I would also pay more attention to Link Exchange.

Geno

Quote Originally Posted by Andy
    Quote Originally Posted by Leader
    ...remember the *objective!* Which is NOT to make friends out of your visitors. It's to SELL STUFF! Join a matchmaker site or put up a hobby site, if you're looking for friends...
    I sure wish I'd had THAT advice when I started out!
    There's a lot of stuff that goes into "selling stuff". You have to attract the buyers. That's much easier to do if your site does more than just "sell stuff". You also have to earn the trust of your visitors, which once again is easier to do if your site doest more than just "sell stuff".

Quote Originally Posted by arthur
    first : I'd get a job and save money to advertise. Starting with zero ad $ is a great way to guarantee failure.
    That's not necessarily true. I was making a fortune in affiliate marketing before I ever looked into advertising.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

I agree with this one:

first : I'd get a job and save money to advertise. Starting with zero ad $ is a great way to guarantee failure.
    That is why I am starting while I have a real job - with the goal of this one taking over the other one eventually. Money from one will feed the other.

P

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast