Student reps?
    We are both a merchant and an affiliate. We're launching a new affiliate program which pays out on signups/downloads (so nothing even needs to be purchased), and what distinguishes it further is that we pay people instantly via PayPal (with minimum payment threshold of $10).

I'm not trying to advertise this here. Rather, it occurred to us that the perfect group to promote this are college students. I've heard about the success of student rep program---Red Bull became the product/brand that it is from the humble beginnings of college campuses.

Does anyone have any ideas where to find college reps? Or has anyone had experience with this before?

Thanks,
    Alex

ABW Ambassador
    Lightbulb
    Ads in student newspapers are CHEAP !

A Real *and* Darn Cool Member! lstolze's Avatar
    I was a student rep for ecampus back in the day. Basically you need to get the word out via the site, and maybe offer students an extra incentive for recruiting other reps. Of course if you have the resources, you could contact career centers of some colleges and ask what you need to do to post this opportunity with them. And as always, advertising on sites popular with college students helps.

Edit - And ditto on the student newspaper idea!
    ~Lisa - Brilliant Mastermind, or Nut? You decide!

If you've done this before, could you give me some tips in terms of what campuses are most productive? What's a fair way to pay the campus reps? My roommate in college was a rep for Redbull, and he got like $300/month plus unlimited free RedBull to distribute...

I'm just hard pressed to figure out a way to manage this. I think we could pay well, but I have no idea how to hire people at hundreds of colleges across the country without having a good way to monitor them...

Thanks,

Alex

Quote Originally Posted by lstolze
    I was a student rep for ecampus back in the day. Basically you need to get the word out via the site, and maybe offer students an extra incentive for recruiting other reps. Of course if you have the resources, you could contact career centers of some colleges and ask what you need to do to post this opportunity with them. And as always, advertising on sites popular with college students helps.

Edit - And ditto on the student newspaper idea!

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Your already dead with the smart college group willing to hawk products for beer and date money.... "We're launching a new affiliate program which pays out on signups/downloads (so nothing even needs to be purchased),"

You don't sell a physical product and if no purchase is necessary your customers mindset yells FREEBIE. College kids have had to clean systems all the time due to freebie downloads and are wary of anything not associated with a product they can willing endorse. When I was hawking refurbished & excess discounted computers I successfully commissioned students at over 50 universities. To start they'd sell their computer to someone and buy an upgraded one ...then sell that one .. on and on easily ending up with the perfect system with no cash out of pocket. By then they were bulletin board heros for those seeking systems on a tight budget. Now we have a Internet connecting in each dorm room.... but the bulletin boards are still there getting eyeballs.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

A Real *and* Darn Cool Member! lstolze's Avatar
    Well, you're asking the wrong person! I looked on their site, and they seem to have gotten to big to offer this student rep thing now, unless they have a more low key way of recruiting these days. I had to fill out some app on their site, and they gave me a url to download and print marketing materials. Everything had my rep number on it, and interested customers had to include my number to get a special discount, etc. Not too different from this new Party Poker phenomena. Since it's been a long time, I really don't even remember how much I made for what - I usually kept my earnings in my ecampus account to offset my own textbook costs every semester. I did see they will help you do direct marketing for college related services, etc. that you want to offer to students - http://www.ecampus.com/help/CollegeMarketing.asp - maybe you could start with a visit there and see what they can do. And Mike (ecomcity) has a point. Saying that nothing ever has to be bought is like the kiss of death. I have free accounts for all sorts of stuff that companies assume I will like them so much, I'll upgrade. Yeah, right. I'm not going to pay for an email account when I can get a free one ANYWHERE. Now if you have something unique enough (or just really sought after by college kids), and you offer them a discount for referring other students, then you'll have a good mix.
    ~Lisa - Brilliant Mastermind, or Nut? You decide!

Rampguy, I may be able to be of assistance in this situation... feel free to PM me, or send an email.

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread