Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Question Any Soccer Fans Here?
    Are there any soccer fans here? If so, what clubs/teams do you root for?

Geno

Yes to question 1. and .... in what league? International (i.e. Fifa World Cup), English Premier League, Australian A-League, Italian League, etc, etc, and etc

P.S. Germany, Liverpool, Melbourne Victory, AC Milan!

ABW Ambassador
    Yup, I support Tottenham Hotspur...and, being English, England. Spurs are currently 1-0 up against Fulham so I must get back to watching the rest of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogi
    and .... in what league? International (i.e. Fifa World Cup), English Premier League, Australian A-League, Italian League, etc, etc, and etc
    Are there that many teams that you root for? I can count three in my case: national (St. Petersburg's FC ZENIT that has also been playing in UEFA Cup last year and is playing in it this year) and international (Russia's National Team)... Of course, I do root for Moscow's CSKA and Moscow's Lokomotiv, but only when they are the only Russian teams in the competitions they are taking part in.

Geno

ABW Ambassador
    Of course, I do root for Moscow's CSKA and Moscow's Lokomotiv, but only when they are the only Russian teams in the competitions they are taking part in.
    I never support the English clubs in The Champions League or UEFA Cup unless (and it hasn't happened for 6 years) Spurs are playing. I really couldn't care less whether Manchester Utd do well or whether Liverpool beat AC Milan. However, I do understand people who do, like yourself, Geno.

However, supporting teams from countries I have no connection with is just alien to me. Surely if you support the German national team, you are likely to be German and therefore support Bayern or one of the other German teams. Not AC Milan that's for sure.

Anyway, I don't care. Tottenham won 1-0 this evening. We're now 4th in the English Premier League and that's OK by me.

markymark, I'll assume that little bit was refering to my post?

To clarify, I posted the teams i support for the leagues i mentioned. Yeah, If i'd mentioned german league i'd have said bayern, etc. AC Milan was my 'italian league' team. As for A.C... there's a defender in the team that I support, so a.c is my pref. serie A team.

Meanwhile, Australia has just launched it's A-League (August 2005)... it's the top soccer league in Australia and it's about time soccer started being taken serious.

ABW Ambassador
    Thumbs up
    I support Real Madrid and hate FC Barcelona to death. Can't stand Bayern or Juventus either

I wish Jol would give Keane more starts, he's a proven goal scorer with an average of 1 goal every 2 games for the past several seasons. They'd score more goals if they had 3 strikers up front. Celtic supporter here BTW.

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    Careful, some Limey's I know get violent when you call it "soccer" they insist on "football".

Quote Originally Posted by Javi
    I support Real Madrid and hate FC Barcelona to death.
    No wonder why.

Quote Originally Posted by Drewbert
    Careful, some Limey's I know get violent when you call it "soccer" they insist on "football".
    If this forum were based in the UK, I'd call it football in this thread myself. After all, when you compare it to the American football, guess where they play mostly with their foot / feet!

Geno

hmm..

i guess i mite get some stick.

I am hardened Manchester United Fan

hate chelsea.. arsenal are a weakened team now.. but still i hate them.. liverpool as well..

Steven Gerrard for Man U !!!!! )

Talking
    Go MLS!

There is SOCCER in the USA.. remember they are ranked 7th in the world!!

ZURICH, Switzerland (AP) - FIFA rankings for September (previous rank in parentheses):
    1. Brazil, 839 points (1).
    2. Netherlands, 785 (3).
    3. Argentina, 778 (2).
    4. Czech Republic, 777 (4).
    5. Mexico, 771 (5).
    6. France, 770 (9).
    7. United States, 768 (6).
    8. Spain, 750 (8).
    9. Portugal, 743 (9).
    10. Sweden, 740 (15).
    11. England, 738 (7).
    12. Turkey, 731 (12).
    13. Italy, 725 (13).
    14. Denmark, 721 (18).
    15. Germany, 718 (11).
    16. Japan, 716 (17).
    17. Poland 705 (22).
    18. Iran, 702 (15).
    19. Costa Rica, 700 (21).
    20. Greece, 699 (18).
    Getting There Is Half The Fun! Staying There Is Half The Battle!

Affiliate Manager Sami B - Uncommon Goods's Avatar
    I root for Galatasaray, a Turkish team who was the first of its kind to win the UEFA Cup and Super Cup. But, right now I root for our archrival Fenerbahce, who just yesterday defeated PSV Eindhoven 3-0!

Naffiliate,
    I love the US Team as well, they have come long way from being an underdog to becoming a contender, and they play eye-pleasing game. But, their ranking in the world does not reflect their popularity in US one bit. It's definitely not more popular than Egnland!

Very true.

As an American, the national team has progressed to become respectable and viable competition for European and South American teams. Saying that, I think the ratings are a little skewed, simply based on competition levels. The US playing a small team from the Carribean isn't like England playing any other squad on the European front. American soccer will never progress until it strengthens it's domestic league and attracts more international players. Until then, we need to continue shipping our players off to Europe, as to learn how to play a more controlled possession game.

Favorite Team: Newcastle United, hopefully the Toons can turn it around with the addition of Owen!!!!

hmm..

no Man U fans here..

but i c Newcastle and Spurs

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    Yup. Newcastle United for me too.

Outsourced Program Manager
    My favorite team is... Mine! My undefeated monday night rec league .

ABW Ambassador
    I had the dubious pleasure of watching some Major League Soccer on TV when I was in the USA last. My god...was it poor. The American national team isn't bad but their FIFA ranking is a bit of a strange one. I guess all those games against Mexico seem to count for a lot in terms of world rankings.

As for Spurs, I agree with JJJay, Keane should start more. He'll be off in January if we don't start giving him more games and then we'll be totally reliant on Defoe - who really needs to learn to pass occasionally.

Any forecasts on the coming World Cup?!?!

Geno

ABW Ambassador
    hmmm now that europe is covered in greek blue colors!!! -euro2004 champions euro2005 champions as well (but in basketball)-.... i think that we have some chances for 2006 to have a say at least ;-)

i am panathinaikos...historic team in europe...although i support all greek teams in football -i dont like the word soccer...its foodball!!!!! - ;-)

The way things look now, Greece might not even be going, having less chances than Russia in Group 3.

In Group 2, the Ukraine is definitely going. Turkey is close.

Geno

ABW Ambassador
    well we just have to wait and see...hopefully its going to be on our side...i wish

Outsourced Program Manager Chris -  AMWSO's Avatar
    Yup, a die hard Sheff Wednesday fan, I also run the largest expat football league in Thailand : www.somtam.com

Cheers

Chris
    Affiliate Marketing by AMWSO. Skype - chrissanderson ::: TEL 1-720-336-1784 ::: www.amwso.net
    Join our affiliate programs :Vaper Empire, Iolo, Art of Tea, or See ALL our Programs here

Quote Originally Posted by KGP
    well we just have to wait and see...hopefully its going to be on our side...i wish
    Good luck, KGP!

Geno

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast