Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Full Member id2k's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 22nd, 2005
    Posts
    276
    product feed verus keywords
    whats the best way or effective ways to promote a merchant...making product pages using datafeeds or making keywords pages( using wordtracker keywords tool)..kindly share your thoughts and experince..

  2. #2
    Sgt. Joe Friday frank3iii's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Posts
    441
    The best way to promote any merchant is the way that works for you. Not trying to be cute here, but it's true.

    There are about as many ways to promote as there are affiliates. Try out your ways to see what works and what doesn't.

    As far as keywords vs datafeeds.....I always use keywords with my datafeeds. With a datafeed solution you *must* be able to make your site as different as possible. Different from all the others who have access to the same datafeed.

    Give a lot of thought to how you can use a datafeed and be different. You'll win that way.

    Frank
    "Just the facts, Ma'am." Sgt. Joe Friday, Dragnet

  3. #3
    Full Member id2k's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 22nd, 2005
    Posts
    276
    thnx frank..yes i agree with you that there are lots of ways to promote a merchant...but in general if i have to chose between keywords and datafeed then which one should i go in for

  4. #4
    Sgt. Joe Friday frank3iii's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Posts
    441
    Quote Originally Posted by id2k
    thnx frank..yes i agree with you that there are lots of ways to promote a merchant...but in general if i have to chose between keywords and datafeed then which one should i go in for
    I assume that when you say 'keywords' you are talking about a static page. Like a page named widgets.html. And, on that page you write some pretty words and give a link to your merchant.

    You can do the same thing with a datafeed driven site. Name your page the same and use htaccess or httpd to allow a server side language to be read. Then write some pretty words and call for entries from your database using your favorite brand of server side language. It's still a static page but you use the img and descriptions from your database.

    I'm biased in this respect, but I believe you can produce more good sales pages with a datafeed driven page. The key is to be unique. Unique means you *must* change the wording in the description fields, and you should write unique text for each page.

    On the plus side...it is very easy to swap out merchants with a datafeed site. It is much faster to keep fresh content on a datafeed site.

    Your mileage may vary. Batteries not included.

    If you do not want to go with a server side language, try out the WebMerge product. There is a forum for them. And, you can use the SSanf solution for unique text within those pages.

    Frank
    "Just the facts, Ma'am." Sgt. Joe Friday, Dragnet

  5. #5
    Full Member id2k's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 22nd, 2005
    Posts
    276
    thnx frank...

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Posts
    82
    Quote Originally Posted by frank3iii

    If you do not want to go with a server side language, try out the WebMerge product. There is a forum for them. And, you can use the SSanf solution for unique text within those pages.

    Frank

    What is SSanf solution?

  7. #7
    Newbie
    Join Date
    February 10th, 2005
    Posts
    44
    What is SSanf solution?
    It's a program promoted by member SSanf that creates garbage content.

  8. #8
    Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    12,817
    Ssanf's Content Generator Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by hilisa
    It's a program promoted by member SSanf that creates garbage content.
    The output's only as bad (or good, for those who are good at it) as the input
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

  9. #9
    ABW Ambassador Snib's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    5,303
    Personally I prefer datafeeds because of my programming background. They're just much more appealing to me because I'd rather manipulate data than create it. If I were more inclined to write sales copy, I'd probably write buying guides or articles promoting services, merchants or products. It really just comes down to what you enjoy doing and what you're good at.

    - Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

  10. #10
    Sgt. Joe Friday frank3iii's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Posts
    441
    Quote Originally Posted by Snib
    Personally I prefer datafeeds because of my programming background. They're just much more appealing to me because I'd rather manipulate data than create it.
    Although I don't share your programming background, I agree with this statement. Precisely because there is a mountain of data to manuipulate.

    Data can be added to, rearranged, and revised to present an individual slant on the product(s) being promoted. This can be done before the data reaches your database or just before the viewer reads the page. This is a good thing!

    Quote Originally Posted by Snib
    It really just comes down to what you enjoy doing and what you're good at.
    Or if you enjoy the challenge of making something different. You *can* make a silk purse from a sow's ear if you have imagination and are not deterred by the inevitable miss-steps.

    @Leader...Some folks don't know or remember GIGO. Garbage In (always equals) Garbage Out.

    Frank
    "Just the facts, Ma'am." Sgt. Joe Friday, Dragnet

  11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread

Similar Threads

  1. So has anyone been using our product feed yet?
    By mendy@simoncells.com in forum ShareASale - SAS
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: January 23rd, 2006, 12:41 PM
  2. Cj product feed is not there
    By mattdunbar in forum Commission Junction - CJ
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: April 1st, 2005, 01:06 PM
  3. CJ verus Peformics
    By freesurfusa in forum Commission Junction - CJ
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: June 26th, 2003, 07:41 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •