the bulk of your workday is spent ... ??
    What do you spend the bulk of time doing? Just curious how others compare to me.

To answer my own question

1. creating new pages
    2. writing programs to help me create new pages

I spend very little time on promotion or maintenance .. .. not sure how this compares or possible pitfalls.

i dont have a job now.. on the look out..

so most of the time spent on the net or watching some movies..

trying to update my sites content with new articles.
    checking if everything works well
    checking out my competitors as to c wat they are doing
    promotion / maintenance.

if i have a job. that takes up all my day.. retail management is hard

Right now I'm spending most of my time
    1. changing over my sites from html to php.
    2. Catching up on link exchanges.
    3. Reading mail.

ABW Ambassador
    posting or reading posts at abestweb.

I spend a little too much time posting here, reading about new technology and chatting with friends. When I actually do get some work done, it's entirely spent programming and researching new algorithms and methods. I'm always refreshing my stats and websites looking for changes. This is practically obsessive. When I can pry myself away from my laptop I'll sit in front of the TV for some movies. And when I can pry myself away from the TV I'll go outside for some fresh air and food. That about sums it up

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    New York, USA
    It's hard to tell because there are so many interruptions.

Dogs want out. Dogs want in. Dogs want to play.
    Laundry in washer, laundry in dryer, fold laundry.
    Unload dishwasher, make dinner, clean up after dinner.
    Make phone calls, take phone calls, run errands.
    Pull weeds, plant flowers, spread mulch.

In between I work on my web sites, read ABW, scrutinize my stats and answer my email.

It's very hard for me to make myself take a day off from both housework and webwork. I look forward to my husband's vacation time because at least then I have a good excuse not to sit at the computer all day. It seems no matter what I'm doing I feel guilty for neglecting half a dozen other things that need attention.

I sure could use some help washing windows, if anyone has some spare time.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I spend most of my day posting on here or checking my stats, and (of course) playing video games.

Occasionally that gets broken up by updating something or otherwise messing with a site. But, upd*tes are only done once a week.

And when a GoodBulbs order comes in, then I pack and ship it right away! But, so far that doesn't take up a huge amount of time. "Rome wasn't built in a day..." Of course, I'm intending that someday it'll grow to the point that it'll take a big staff packing all day, every day, all season long, to get all the orders out!

I sure could use some help washing windows,
    Window washing is a cinch. But "helping" would count as a j*b, so you get hints instead of help.
    This is a Leader-Certified Work-Reducing Method (R) which has been proven to produce results on par with, or better than, the more effortful standard methods.

1). Car window solution is the best. It leaves no streaks, and is even anti-fog (unless you get the cheap stuff), making it good for bathroom mirrors. Make sure you get the kind that's 2x what the normal stuff costs, though. The cheap stuff is lousy.

2). Use it like you would for car windows. Put a bunch of solution in a paint tray, and then use a squeegee like you'd see in a gas station (w/foam thingy--avoid the rubber-only ones hardware stores like to carry) to clean the windows. Apply with foam side, wipe dry with the rubber side, same as for a car.

2a). It takes a bit of practice to not leave a line between the "rows" where you wipe. It's worth it.

3). If there's grease on the windows (kitchen windows tend to get a grease mist), you may have to repeat the process two or three times before it'll concede.

4). Make sure your squeegee will accept a long pole--don't buy a single-unit jobbie with a short handle! A long pole makes it possible to hit the top of high windows (duh), and also lets you get second-story windows from the outside. No more unreachable junk on the outside of the 2nd-floor windows!

4a). Get the best squeegee you can, within reason (it doesn't have to be "fancy." Just decent quality rubber. Same principle as with windshield wipers--the only streaks come when they no longer make good contact with the window.

You end up with nice clean windows and hardly any w*rk (compared to other methods of window cleaning) getting them that way.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

St-Georges, Québec, Canada
    Of course, I'm intending that someday it'll grow to the point that it'll take a big staff packing all day, every day, all season long, to get all the orders out!
    Leader I like your way of thinking

Well, I'm checking my stats, posting and reading here(mostly reading). Do some SEO on my finished web site and most of the time I am searching or doing graphic designer jobs, yeah... Affiliate marketing will be my first source of income one day. Ho no wait, it will be equivalent to the source of 5 mans income!
    "Effective people are not problem-minded; they're opportunity minded. They feed opportunities and starve problems."

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    New York, USA
    Good suggestion about window washing...thanks!

Our family room has a wall of windows and I was really dreading tackling that. I think the sponge and squeegee on a stick will make that go pretty fast...on the outside. For the inside it sounds like it could get kind of messy so I'll stick with window cleaner and lint-free towels.

I'm constantly removing dog noseprints, or "nose dribbles" as we call them from the inside windows. The family room window is like big screen TV for our dogs. When the shades are raised their noses are pretty much stuck to the windows.

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread