Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Backlink Cheaters' Newest Trick Exposed

Ugh, people will do anything for a quick buck.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

That's what I call "Tricksy"... Thanks for the link.

Sometimes I'm amazed at how hard some people will work dishonestly so they don't have to work honestly.
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

Oh please don't associate them with being CLEVER... clever is supposed to be a good thing

I'm always amazed how some people would rather use their intelligence (and they sometimes have a lot of it ) to to find a way to make a buck illegally/unethically rather than honestly.
    One day parasites and their ilk will be made illegal, I bet a few Lawyers will be pissed off when the day comes.
    Mr. Spitzer is fetching it nearer

YouTrek

Quote Originally Posted by Anne
    Oh please don't associate them with being CLEVER... clever is supposed to be a good thing
    I agree Anne..... they are considered a bit conniving if anything...
    Visit me over at... [URL=http://www.socialrankings.com]Social Rankings[/URL] or [URL=http://revenuerobot.blogspot.com]Revenue Robot[/URL]

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Thanks for wordsmithing! "conniving" far better represents what I meant! Perhaps conniving bastards is the best fit.

What Greg said!

Andy

lurk
    Exploiting this is only going to increase the amount of people doing it... but on the other hand maybe it will make the SE's fix it sooner.
    Jason

It's a stupid trick.

For anyone using php and hasn't done the input validation properly... to protect against this one just use:

$keyword = htmlentities($keyword);

That'll fix it up.

P.S. And the site that just mailed this out to all webmasters subscribed (i.e. Me) really should have added a 'how to protect against it' before they bloody expose everyone's site to it. I hate when they don't think.

ABW Ambassador
    It is an irritating trick. As if we don't have enough work to do. Now we have to take the time to change our scripts to disable the spammer's idiotic links.

Thanks for the fix, Rogi. It is really useful.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar

I'm disgusted and saddened by the old fogeyish, prudish, and afraid responses in this thread so far. Do you think that by being all self-righteous, that Google will figure out which sites are yours and rank them up?

Anyone who's played it cool only to find themselves at Listing #100,000 anyway, should feel no guilt in evening up the score on Goofle, IMO.

I haven't done this method. But I'll be damned if I'll condemn anyone for warping up a link on some site's PR0 backwater search-result page.

EDIT: Taking a closer look, it may or may not be as easy as it seems to find a site that'll work on. It's pretty standard advice for making search scripts and input forms, to have them block out the unusual characters that trick seems to depend on. Not to prevent links from appearing, but for other security reasons.
    Last edited by Leader; September 28th, 2005 at 08:11 AM.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

I hate to see something Like this....
    Ruining every one's life.
    Cheers,

Harry.
    Mondera Affiliate Manager
    http://www.mondera.com/affiliate_support/
    Winner of the LinkShare 2004 Golden Link Awards "Affiliate's Choice Award"
    Winner of the 2002 Abestweb.com "Best Affiliate Program Award"

I hate to see something Like this....
    Ruining every one's life.
    Puh-leeze. It's hardly affecting anyone's life, let alone "ruining" "everyone's" life. It's just competition! Remember that stuff, competition? That stuff the market runs on!

What, oh what, has happened to "my" poor ABW? Where is its youthful energy and exuberance? What has enfeebled it so much that it cannot even stand to compete in the SEs, without kid gloves???

I just think it's silly to swim upstream. People doing this know it's not legitimate and eventually they'll be stopped. They'll have to find another upstream method to make up for it and it's a constant battle with the search engines. Why battle them? It's so much better to go with the flow and do as you should. You'll get a lot more encouragement and you'll flourish in the long rung. IMO this is just a waste of time. Good thing too because that's less competition for me. While people are busy wasting their time trying to trick the search engines, I'm gaining my solid, legitimate listings and preparing for long term success.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Toot Toot
    Suz~~GearGirl~~

They'll have to find another upstream method to make up for it and it's a constant battle with the search engines. Why battle them?
    I have a *strong* perception that people get screwed by the search engines, no matter what they do. Every algo change, I read of great sites that end up disappearing for no reason.

This, in turn, causes a strong perception that it is pointless to NOT use any means available to get a high rank.

If the search engines stopped destroying people's truly well-done sites, then SEOers might think differently about exploiting every trick they can find. As it stands now, the perception, at least, is that it is sheer folly to give any respect to an SE.

You'll get a lot more encouragement
    Ego alone, does not pay the bills.
    It's so much better to go with the flow
    Not for anyone who doesn't want the river to dictate their destination. IMO it's infinitely better to drive/motorboat where you want to go, regardless of the flow!! "The flow" often ends up in some bad place.
    While people are busy wasting their time trying to trick the search engines, I'm gaining my solid, legitimate listings and preparing for long term success.
    Personally I've been too busy paying attention to bulbs, to game Google lately. Most fun I've had in years! Funny how packing-w*rk is just fine, when it's my stuff, the boxes are big enough, and no one's trying to make me do 10 a minute...

But, I haven't forgotten the thrill of the rankings hunt, either. SEs = prey. To be HUNTED! Chased down, and subdued! You don't catch a truly wild animal by making kissing noises to it.

BTW *NO* listing is "solid." You've said yourself in other posts: Don't rely on Google. I haven't seen any site other than Microsoft consistantly keep its rank, year after year, regardless of its type. One day Google will decide your "solid" listings are passe' and that their visitors want to see something "new..." just for newness' sake!

lurk
    Quote Originally Posted by Leader
    Puh-leeze. It's hardly affecting anyone's life, let alone "ruining" "everyone's" life. It's just competition! Remember that stuff, competition? That stuff the market runs on!
    Are you serious? So it is justifiable by 'competition' to hack someone else's site to increase your traffic from other SE's?
    Jason

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    LOL ... "BTW *NO* listing is "solid." You've said yourself in other posts: Don't rely on Google. I haven't seen any site other than Microsoft consistantly keep its rank, year after year, regardless of its type. One day Google will decide your "solid" listings are passe' and that their visitors want to see something "new..." just for newness' sake!"

Try a general product term for any ecommerce client I build sites for and you find ALL the major SE's have them in the natural SERP top positions without ever employing any SEO tricks .... year after year after year. Snib and Donuts have it right. To please even the Google Gods you have to have a basic site and content relative to the search terms. If you prey upon SEs, as if their some wild animal meal, just expect the Law of the Jungle to take a bite out of your own ass some day. Thanks to affiliate SERP traffic tricksters the SEs have to employ draconian filters to keep their customers from clicking on the SEO freeks links due to complaints.

Those employing this latest SEO page rank cheat do not have a landing page worth a hoot.... except for their own greed driven motives.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Affiliate Manager Sami B - Uncommon Goods's Avatar
    Can't you just link to a specific term in which your site actually come up in the results for the same effect?

2 things:

1. I don't think of this as a part of competition but as exploiting other sites

2. The sites that were affected are to be blamed a fair share. If they are "reputable" sites at least they could have someone make sure their scripts validate the input. Having a link inserted is the least that could happen.
    [URL=http://www.hesk.com]Help desk software[/URL]

[QUOTE=Snib]I just think it's silly to swim upstream.

The richest people became rich because they swam upstream.

LeDonna

To my knowledge most of the top ten sites for my keywords are of companies that exploit bad ethical se' techniques. (these i will not disclose) The other 46,000,000 sites (includig me) are stuck on the second page and beyond which recieve no traffic. As soon as the se's fixes the loopholes the guys just launch another clone site of thier similiar content site and find a new way to exploit the se's. the process continues over and over again to infinity.

Quote Originally Posted by jrod805
    Are you serious? So it is justifiable by 'competition' to hack someone else's site to increase your traffic from other SE's?
    Not necessarily "justifiable," per se, now that I've been thinking about it--but definitely NOT worth all this outrage. They are talking about warping up a link on some backwater, previously nonexistant, no-page-rank page--that will only have one backwater, low-PR link into it (from the "hacker's" site)!! That is a nonevent.

Also, what c4 said: "2. The sites that were affected are to be blamed a fair share. If they are "reputable" sites at least they could have someone make sure their scripts validate the input. Having a link inserted is the least that could happen."

If anything, sites should take this as a warning to fix their coding. You can bet I will be double-checking all my input validation! But not to keep some desperate person from getting a free link. If that was the only possibility, I wouldn't even pause a game for it.

1. I don't think of this as a part of competition but as exploiting other sites~c4
    True, I suppose, but if it wasn't for the rankings competition nobody'd bother with this one. And, it's NOT ruining anyone's life. If not for the other security issues it points up, it shouldn't even be disturbing anyone's "life!" The responses in this thread have been akin to calling someone an ax-murderer for less than the equivalent of toilet-papering a tree.

If you prey upon SEs, as if their some wild animal meal, just expect the Law of the Jungle to take a bite out of your own ass some day. ~EcomCity
    Can't dispute that. I've bitten, and been bit. But, the highest paying investments have the highest risk. While I think it's good to stay away from the most extreme measures, people who want to stay completely safe should go get jobs.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast