Affiliate Manager
    Welcome letter and rejection letter basics.
    Hi Guys,

I was wondering about what would be the basics for welcome and rejection letters.
    What are important points to talk about on welcome letter to give affiliates a good start?
    I know that many affiliates, especially new to CJ start signing with a lot of merchants (I have done that) but don't really start adding the links. So how could I attract them to start building links?

In regards to rejection letters. I thought it's good to mention what are the possible reasons that aff was rejected and how he could reapply and try again.

What do you think?

Thanks a lot for your feedback.

For acceptance letters, it's such a broad group, that it's anyones guess what to add. Putting in info on how to get product links or feeds are useful for stores that want to put that info in. Coupons & specials are useful for another group of sites, and links to pretty banner graphics are yet another group. There's other categories of sites too, so maybe 1 of each, or links to each of those areas on your site or on CJ would be useful.

As far as rejection letters, most places are not very individualized in their letters, and for most sites, that's fine, if you say the categories of sites you don't accept, then hopefully they know which they fit into, or if they're determined, they can contact you for more specifics or a 2nd chance.

ABW Ambassador
    I know that many affiliates, especially new to CJ start signing with a lot of merchants (I have done that) but don't really start adding the links. So how could I attract them to start building links?
    To be exact, are you talking about initial welcome letters when people first sign up, or those things that are supposed to raise the dead called activation emails?

So how could I attract them to start building links?
    Push their greed buttons - pay them.

Internet Cowboy
    In an acceptance letter, include a ready-to-go link to your hottest item or department or even to your home page. Set it up with their affiliate ID and include it in the email. Also include a phone number. So many times I have emailed an AM with a question only to not get an answer, I often don't even bother to email an AM who I don't know anymore. If there is a phone number I will call them instead. If no phone number, my motivation to act now is often lost.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    If no phone number, my motivation to act now is often lost.
    What kind of questions should AMs be answering in their welcome email, that they aren't? Your comment makes me think they're missing something fundamental, if you'd need to contact them before you could put their links up...
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Internet Cowboy
    Quote Originally Posted by Leader
    What kind of questions should AMs be answering in their welcome email, that they aren't? Your comment makes me think they're missing something fundamental, if you'd need to contact them before you could put their links up...
    If I am to start with a new program using PPC, I insist on at least establishing contact with the AM. I can always think of a few questions to ask just to make contact with the AM and see if they are accessible. Sometimes it isn't really the importance of the questions as much as it is making sure there is indeed someone on the other end.

Often, a merchant will not have their policies posted. Such as, can I bid on their trademark? Can I use images from their site other than the images in the console or datafeed? There are often questions. Sometimes there are not. But before I spend a sum of money promoting a merchant, especially a non-brand name merchant oro someone I have no experience with, I establish contact with the AM. I see this as a good business practice.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Smile
    To get immediate exposure from legit value-add affiliates just remove the smoke and mirrors hiding your sites true conversion ratio. Till you can truthfully guarantee your affiliates, sending highly targeted taffic to your site, they can get 1 sale from X amount of clicks your just another CJ hit or miss merchant. Welcome to the area where networks, like CJ, fail to keep their initial promise to merchants... recruiting quality affiliates for the startup fees.

Therefore CJ pushes all their Browser and known SERP/PPCSE spammers on new merchants hiding the double dipping, direct to merchant keyword playas and incentive marketers. You'll find here at ABW the only active merchant forums are the ones who go beyond the standard recruiting of affiliate traffic tricksters ... we got coupons -feeds and PPCSE keyword lists .... YAWN. These forums willingly take on the heat & responsibility for converting targeted traffic from on page creatives. The moment the AM takes the easy path of catering to the affiliate spammers their forum page views and post counts die. Don't believe me? Just look throughout ABW's forum lists. The action comes from those who walk the talk ... or suddenly change direction and stop converting.

It's all rightfully about proven conversion ratios and most merchants aren't qualified to have an affiliate enabled workforce because they can't even convert the minimum of 1 sale per 150 clicks on general SERP traffic. .... Until a merchant's site can profitably stand alone, without affiliate targeted traffic, don't even contemplate throwing more traffic at the site with hollow sounding affiliate acceptance letters ...PLEASE.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread