SAS Datafeeds and Webmerge
    I don't know if this is just me or if this is happening to others. If so it might be something for the merchants to consider. When I make my pages using webmerge the problem I keep coming accross is when a merchant has a line be it the product name or category that will include something like EX:

Product Name Field ex; - shirt Grey/Blue/Brown

Category Field ex: - Boys/Girls Clothing

The problem I have been having is that Webmerge creates a folder because it is seeing the backslash / At first I didn't think it would be a problem but when I upload the files it does get messed up. An example would be I create a category page with all the products on the category page. Then when the product is clicked on it will go to MY product page which has just the one product on it. If the product name has the backslash / in it, it leaves that product name in the url and when a visitor clicks another category they get an error page. I'm probably not explaining this as good as I can but I'm trying. An example of what is happening is:

The product page url comes out

Now when the visitor clicks on my category menu lets say Girls Clothing what happens is that url stays in and I get:

Which returns an error page. The link should go to This could be taken care of on the merchants end if they were to replace shirt-Grey/Blue/Brown.html with shirt-Grey-Blue-Brown.html

It's not to bad with the smaller feeds doing a find and replace but with the larger feeds it takes hours to fix. This isn't just a SAS problem but I am mostly using their datafeeds. Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks

Affiliate Manager
    Los Angeles, California
    When fields are used for file names, WebMerge lets you specify a folder path by including "/" in the data -- from the WebMerge Help page on the Index Pages tab (this info is also in the section on the Detail Pages tab):

Creating Subfolders
    If the field you specify for the file name contains a standard UNIX folder name (separated by "/") before the file name (e.g., "myfolder/filename") it will create the specified subfolder as it creates the file. These can even be several levels deep if you like, using something like this:

That data will generate a file named "page001.html" inside of a folder named "another folder", inside of a folder named "subfolder".

The short-term workaround some customers are using is to do a quick search-and-replace in that column (using Excel or similar tool) to replace the "/" with "%2F" or "-" or other any other character or string that isn't normally a web server folder delimiter.

In v2.5 I'll include an option to convert those to the character entity for "/" ("%2F") to write those as files without creating folders as needed.

If you have any other questions about WebMerge feel free to post them in the WebMerge forum here in ABW:
    Richard Gaskin
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any data feed on any site

Thanks for the feedback and I will give it a shot and see how it goes. I was going to start this post in the webmerge forum but I was hoping some of the merchants would see it here and maybe start making the feeds with "-" instead of "/". Thanks again and please move this over to the webmerge forum if you can, if not I'm sure Brian can

4. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread