WHY? FireFox!! WHY?

I cannot stand the fact that Firefox interprets CSS so much differently than IE or Netscape...

It is so incredibly hard to make a CROSS BROWSER site with FireFox in the MIX...

I look at my site in IE and Netscape = Everything is EXACTLY the way it should be..

Then I open it up in FireFox and everything is scrambled.. anything that floats is floating where ever it wants to..

FIREFOX SUCKS!

At least Netscape Grew A Brain and started using IE's Interpretation Of CSS..
    Now When Is FireFox going to grow a brain???

The ONLY Browser That SHOULD BE AVAILABLE IS -- IE
    It would be soooo much easier since IE interprets things the correct way!!!
    No Wonder It Is The #1 Browser.. everything looks f 'd Up In All The Others!!

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE no more BROWSERS...
    Enough Is Enough...

(OK I had to vent -- Re-working one of my sites and FireFox is getting in the way!....)

I Feel Better Now...... Kind Of

I've found that when you develop for Firefox, things generally tend to work in IE by default. I've stopped using IE and will never go back! I'm much happier with Firefox and it's counterparts.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Off Topic Kind Of...
    Scroll Your Mouse Over The Top Right Hand Corner...
    http://www.informationweek.com/story...leID=171201547

That is a really cool display.. not useful for me but cool any way...

SNIB - I build and I mostly build for FireFox since it has it's OWN interpretation of CSS1

MOST of the time you are correct... but what now looks OK in IE.. doesn't look good at all in FireFox...

display:block;
    doesn't actually display as a BLOCK...

float: right or left..
    means it floats ON TOP of the DIV tag it's IN.. so it doesn't line up with the DIV CONTAINER...

Adding more text to the DIV tag the (float: right or left.. element is in) means it overlaps the div tag below...

It's just a scrambled mess in FireFox.. yet PERFECT in IE & NetScape..

Do you know of any place to find fixes for FireFox...???

I'm sorry, but I don't use those CSS tags, so I'm not sure how to get them working in Firefox.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Firefox can be difficult, but Opera is a nightmare in my opinion! I figured if it looked good in Netscape 4, it would look good in anything. I was wrong.

If IE had tabbed browsing, it would be my favorite. And I do like some of the Firefox plugins, they have many helpful tools for Webmasters.

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by Snib
    I've found that when you develop for Firefox, things generally tend to work in IE by default. I've stopped using IE and will never go back! I'm much happier with Firefox and it's counterparts.

- Scott
    Exactly. I've never used IE on my personal computers. Started out with Netscape but got tired of it kicking me out, error messages, and a host of other problems. Then my husband found Firefox. I've been happy as a newborn babe ever since.

LeDonna

Stereotypical User

Internet Explorer - Brain dead newbie. Loves pop-ups, viruses, and spyware. Just wants to "surf the Internet and check my email." Oblivious to alternative lifestyles. Seeks help from "computer smart" nephew.

Firefox - Proselytizing ubergeek. Loves freedom, choice, and tabbed browsing. Just wants to "improve mankind with Open Source Software." Oblivious to market forces and the power of money. Seeks other geeks to join in on the evangelism.

Both are equally annoying.

Funny :P

When I code css, I do it for both, it is a market that no one can control so hacking the code is the only solution. Yes, we still have the choice to choose just one but, don't forget that all tastes are in the nature.
    "Effective people are not problem-minded; they're opportunity minded. They feed opportunities and starve problems."

Since most people browsing my sites are on IE I have to make it look good for that browser but I personally prefer firefox because of the tabbed stuff.

Funny my (CSS) sites work perfectly in FF but won't display correctly in IE so I hack the code to work with IE.
    Suz~~GearGirl~~

Quote Originally Posted by sendmemybill
    Just wants to "improve mankind with Open Source Software." Oblivious to market forces and the power of money.
    Judging by the number of big companies that pay me a bucket of cash per hour to help them figure out an open source strategy or to integrate open source into existing infrastructure, I'd say market forces for open technologies are doing just fine. :-)
    Tim
    consultant by day, affiliate by night

Well I got it figured out finally...

I use Firefox for some "webmaster" stuff.. but mainly surf around with IE...

I hate TABBED browsing.. I am old school.. I like the "New Windows" and looking in the Task Bar to close any windows..

The NEW Netscape 8.0 also has some cool stuff for webmasters.....

But nothing beats my OLD friend Internet Explorer.. Just because I have been using it for so long.. I wouldn't have a PC that didn't have it installed..

and based on my site stats 98% of my visitors seem to feel the same way..
    I rarely see Netscape anymore just IE and FireFox...

I only check my sites in three browsers - IE, Netscape, FireFox..
    And that is enough of a pain in the butt..

I use Firefox for some "webmaster" stuff.. but mainly surf around with IE...

I hate TABBED browsing.. I am old school.. I like the "New Windows" and looking in the Task Bar to close any windows..
    I was the same way for a long time. Using tabbed browser just made me confused cuz I kept going down to the "bar" to close a window. But now I've gotten used to it and IE seems like a pain.
    Suz~~GearGirl~~

AddHandler, I just hope for you that the new IE will have an option to disable tabbed browsing.
    "Effective people are not problem-minded; they're opportunity minded. They feed opportunities and starve problems."

"AddHandler, I just hope for you that the new IE will have an option to disable tabbed browsing."

Me Too.. It Probably Will Though - if it even comes with Tabbed Browsing..

Who Needs TABS.. I got along FINE for YEARS without them..
    They just take up space that could otherwise be used to show my wonderful affiliate sites products!!!

Muhahahahaaaa!

Quote Originally Posted by AddHandler
    Me Too.. It Probably Will Though - if it even comes with Tabbed Browsing..
    It comes with tabbed browsing, I installled Windows Vista with IE 7.0 Beta 1 on a system. I did not looked for an option to disable it cause I like tabs. But I think you can still use "open in new window" instead, at least...

As a side note.. if you guys are developing for firefox (or even if you are not), try the 'Web Developer' extension for firefox. Its a beauty & would make life a little bit more easier.

cheers!
    -nishith

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread