Need help with moving web host
    ok, it's that time. Need to move web host. Found a good one locally. ALmost ready to set up the new account. BUt...

I am terrified at the thought of losing listings in search engines. Do you have a plan of action that you go through or precautions to take for such a nerve wracking event? I am dieing to move but have halted a few times because the traffic issue is so critical for one of site. Any advice you can share would be greatly appreciated!

TIA everyone!

Just make sure both of your providers are up and running, and everything is the way you want it before you change name servers. Also, make sure you leave the old host up and running for at least a week in order for your domain name to get to all of the DNS' out there (to "propagate.") Most of your new name server info will get updated in the first 48 hours, but there will always be a few stragglers.

You shouldn't see any drop in listings, as there shouldn't be any interruption to your service. Most agree that a change in name servers won't get you a drop. Good luck!

Fred

You should not lose any SE ranking or visitors. Copy your site on your new server but do not swap the DNS. Once you know the new server has propagated (usually a couple of days I believe) then you can swap your DNS. This way there is no time lost between the change over and your existing urls in the SE's will carry through to your new server
    One day parasites and their ilk will be made illegal, I bet a few Lawyers will be pissed off when the day comes.
    Mr. Spitzer is fetching it nearer

YouTrek

Thanks GOrdon and Fred. I needed that piece of mind. Hey Gordon, you mentioned "Once you know the new server has propagated", the new server needs to propogate? Can you give me more details. I am moving to a shared web host.

Also, does anyone happen to know if this can be re-solved. I need some expert advice. My current SQL is like 3.xx something. Pretty old. I tried dumping the data into a newer version at another host and it gave me MySQL version errors! Yikes! Do you think the chances are good that the new host will help[ me resolve these errors during setup? I don't know enough in this area to even guess.

Thanks for the moral support as well. I need some of that!

What I meant was your domain name has to propagate on your new server, buy_online worded it better than I did. Like he says if you allow a week that should be more than enough then just swap your DNS info over and everything should be ok.

I have no idea about MYSQL but I'm sure someone will add a post for you.
    One day parasites and their ilk will be made illegal, I bet a few Lawyers will be pissed off when the day comes.
    Mr. Spitzer is fetching it nearer

YouTrek

You won't lose any listings if your site is down a few hours.
    But to prevent any downtime
    FXP all of your files to the new server then do the dns changes.
    DNS changes can happen in 15 minutes to 72 hours.
    So do not cancel your old server for atleast a week.

ok, thanks for the continued advice! most welcomed! I was hoping changes in IP won't affect SE's either. Unless... the host has been black listed somewhere? AM I getting paranoid or what?

Mike: What is FXP? Hey, did you ever get my PM btw?

>>>AM I getting paranoid or what?

only happens to people who have the same registrar as host.

Quote Originally Posted by Affiliate Ian
    Do you think the chances are good that the new host will help[ me resolve these errors during setup? I don't know enough in this area to even guess.
    Not to be a smart a**, but this all depends on your new host. There are some good hosts out ther that will be happy to help, sometimes for free. Hopefully, you have one

Good luck, it'll be okay!

Fred

Unless... the host has been black listed somewhere?
    Although Whois.sc has it as a paid service, www.domainsdb.net allows you to look up all domains hosted at a given IP for free (reg required). From the domain names, you can do cursory check as to whether the IP is blacklisted.

Tuan

Once I know an IP, how do I check to see if it has been black listed?

You can go here http://www.dnsstuff.com/ and plug in your IP address in the "Abuse Lookup" form.

Fred

I believe the abuse check at dnsstuff is for email spam abuse and not SEO IP banned abuse. To do a (rough) seo ip banned check, I usually scan the list of domains hosted at the IP. The spammy domain names should be obvious, from there I check to see if these domains are banned on the SE. This is only a ROUGH check and it usually is better for you to get your IPs.

Best,
    Tuan

ok, thanks for the continued advice! most welcomed! I was hoping changes in IP won't affect SE's either. Unless... the host has been black listed somewhere? AM I getting paranoid or what?

Mike: What is FXP? Hey, did you ever get my PM btw?
    FXP is a FTP transfer from 1 server to another. Where you don't have to download the files to your computer and upload them to the new server it will transfer from server. FlashFXP lets you do that.

As for your PM
    I did get it and you replied to my responce with

ahh, that make sense now. thanks for the reply!

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread