Affiliate Manager
    Questions about Commission Junction
    I am new to this site and I had a couple of questions about cj. I work for a baseball/softball company in San Antonio, TX and we are in the process of putting together an affiliate program and we have looked into signing with cj, but I have been reading some of the posts and have some reservations about cj. I would like to know some triumphs and tribulations that companies have gone through and any suggestions that affiliates and merchants have about cj and starting a successful affiliate marketing program.

Thanks for any suggestions.

CJ is definately having a tough time recently, with technical problems and bad word of mouth among affiliates. If you've been reading the posts, you may have seen reference to SAS, or Shareasale.com - who also has a forum here. They are honest, dependable, and come very highly recommended. Much better than CJ.

Quote Originally Posted by ToughTurkey
    CJ is definately having a tough time recently, with technical problems and bad word of mouth among affiliates. If you've been reading the posts, you may have seen reference to SAS, or Shareasale.com - who also has a forum here. They are honest, dependable, and come very highly recommended. Much better than CJ.
    No matter what, CJ currently stand alone at the top.

Affiliate Manager
    ToughTurkey,

Thanks for the info. After your post, I checked out the SAS board and there does seem to be less complaints for them than CJ. I may look into try both and see which one works out.

Affiliate Manager
    nabeelk,

Thanks for the info.

Affiliate Manager
    I apprciate all of the info I have received so far. I have another question. What is considered a good commission rate? We would like to offer something that is fair and that affiliates would be happy with, but completely kill our margins either. We have about a $125 AOV and about a 4% overall conversion rate. Does anyone have any suggesions or recommendations?

Research your competition and see what they offer and aim to beat them.
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    If your margins can't support at least 10% commission, you're not charging enough
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Yup, Sure ... now let me check ... Cagles Mill's Avatar
    If you sign up with CJ, I for one will not sign up for your program simply because I stopped adding CJ merchants months ago and I am currently working on reducing the remaining CJ merchants I have.

On the other hand, I am signed up with a couple of sports related companies on SAS and I am currently earning about $500 per month from an independent sports program. So if I know the name of your program and especially if you offer a datafeed, I would seriously consider signing up with you through SAS. Besides, the money you would save by not joining CJ means you could offer a better commission.
    Rick M.
    I would rather have a bottle in front of me, than have a frontal lobotomy!
    Does your bubblegum lose its flavor on the bedpost overnight?

10% is the average commission most sporting goods companies offer, although many are willing to negotiate a higher rate for individual high traffic, on target affiliates - say 12% - 15%. I'm under the impression though that sporting goods are a slim margin product, so as offer as much as you can afford, because the traffic good affiliates will bring you is traffic you wouldnt' have gotten otherwise.

Affiliate Manager
    Thanks everyone for you suggestions and comments. I very much appreciate it. I have been a lot of research on this lately to see what other companies similar to ours are doing and what affiliates do and do not like. I want to create the best business relationship we possibly can. ToughTurkey is correct. Sporting goods, especially equipment, is generally a low margin industry. Our products are generally on the higher end of the equipment, which is the reason for the higher AOV. But on the on ther other side, most of the equipment we sell you can not go down to Wal-Mart or most local sporting good stores and purchase. Most of the stuff we sell are sold on the web and a lot of our product are exclusive to our company. As far as the datafeed as of yet, but we are looking into it.

Thanks again and if you have any more comments or suggestions, please send them.

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread