Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ABW Ambassador
    Washugyu Kobe tenderloin - $190
    In Vegas, many of the jaw-dropping prices are the result of more Kobe beef being served. Take Shintaro, the Japanese eatery at Bellagio, where the 10-ounce Washugyu Kobe tenderloin is going for $190. Shintaro's 12-ounce sirloin commands $170.

Over at Bradley Ogden, the high-end restaurant at Caesars Palace, the 8-ounce Kobe steak goes for $175.

STORY

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    I just grilled the BEST filet mignon on my grill a couple days ago, man it was suuuuperb. It cost nine bucks each. I'd rather eat 20 of THOSE for $180, than one of these high fillutin' Kobe steaks, sheeesh.
    Following everyone else is a GREAT way to become average.

My father was military so my parents would get filet and t bones at the px er commisary(?) at great prices. I grew up on it--spoiled--

I'm dying to try Kobe though...
    Suz~~GearGirl~~

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    What on Earth is supposed to be so special about Kobe beef?!?
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

"Take Shintaro, the Japanese eatery at Bellagio, where the 10-ounce Washugyu Kobe tenderloin is going for $190"

No you take it... what a bunch of Bull Poopie.

No piece of meat that is turned into poop in 8 hours is worth that amount.

I'll take a Jack Steak sandwich at Jack In The Box anyday!

Poopie

Kobe beef is raised on special food(I cant remember what) they are massaged and have a sauna everyday. Facials and pedicures pampered to the bone...then slaughtered and eaten!!

Really-- I know they are fed special food and I beleive the don't get excersize so the meat is marbelized. I thought I heard somewhere they do get massaged. I recently heard a review on Kobe beef and the people claimed the only decent Kobe to be found were in the small eateries (not the ones known for the best Kobe) in Japan where it wasn't so overpriced. Everyplace else seemed to be hype in their opinion.

I'll take a Jack Steak sandwich at Jack In The Box anyday!
    You can keep jack in the crack. I can handle Wendy's occasionally.
    Suz~~GearGirl~~

[B]My brother supervised a fishery in Cape May,NJ the Jap buyers wanted anything they caught, as long as it was quick frozen.They eat sushi,and a lot of that is simply Blowfish, which is poison,if they don't trim it right.
    If it isn't grown here, i don't want it.Mad cow,viruses all start in the far east
    YUK
    JJ
    [FONT=Times New Roman]Even Einstein read comic books to relax[/FONT] :clap:

You can keep jack in the crack.
    Was that an insult?

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by suzigeek
    Kobe beef is raised on special food(I cant remember what) they are massaged and have a sauna everyday. Facials and pedicures pampered to the bone...then slaughtered and eaten!!

Really-- I know they are fed special food and I beleive the don't get excersize so the meat is marbelized. I thought I heard somewhere they do get massaged. I recently heard a review on Kobe beef and the people claimed the only decent Kobe to be found were in the small eateries (not the ones known for the best Kobe) in Japan where it wasn't so overpriced. Everyplace else seemed to be hype in their opinion.

You can keep jack in the crack. I can handle Wendy's occasionally.
    Damn. Dems Kobe beefs sound spoiled before even getting butchered. Imagine the stench if no one orders them in a few days...
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

I kill my own cows by hand (HeadLock) and eat them on the spot - RAW..

I only Feed Once A Month Or So...
    (depending on the size of the last cow..)

It's Cheaper That Way..

I would have a hard time spending $190 for a steak, but I would love to try it once. $50-75 (per person) is about the most I've spent for a steak dinner. There's a huge difference between wet aged USDA choice (which typical restaurants serve) and dry aged USDA prime (which is the best I've had), and I hear there's an even bigger difference with Kobe/Wagyu and normal beef.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Wink
    Filet is the most tender cut of beef anyway, so I dont know what all that marbleizing (of fat) does for the KOBE. Doubt it adds flavor though.
    A good filet should almost melt in your mouth anyway.

I heard a nasty joke about kobe beef once but can't remember it. (just as well)

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Really-- I know they are fed special food and I beleive the don't get excersize so the meat is marbelized. I thought I heard somewhere they do get massaged.
    That might make it taste better, but I highly doubt it could possibly be worthy of a $190 price tag...

I'm with Poopie on this one (except for the Jack in the Box part).
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    There's a huge difference between wet aged USDA choice (which typical restaurants serve) and dry aged USDA prime (which is the best I've had
    My local Wegmans has the dry aged available at about $22.99/lb with the wet-aged (strip steaks) at $8.99/lb or so. I've not tried their dry aged yet, but have been meaning to. Probably tomorrow, thanks to this thread

For the best steak, look for the ones with the most marbling. You want lots of specs and streaks of fat, not big chunks of fat. For instance, here's a picture of some Wagyu from Allen Brothers.

Compare the marbling in the $8.99 stuff to the $22.99 stuff. If you can't see much difference, odds are you won't taste much difference. If you can see a difference, it'll probably be worth trying.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    For the best steak, look for the ones with the most marbling.
    Absolutely, I shuffle through the entire bin of the wet aged looking for the best marbling then I'm set

ABW Ambassador
    Give me a good steak at Jack's place anytime. Fillet mignon with mushroom sauce, pepper sauce or wine sauce, right after a lobster soup. Followed by a yummy dessert. *burp*

For $180, * I * better be the one getting massaged, that's all there is to it.

Affiliate Manager
    I would have a hard time paying that much for a steak but from what I have heard from people who have tried it the Kobe steaks are far and away the best they have ever tried. Someday when I am in Vegas and have hit a good run on the blackjack or poker tables I can definetly see myself splurging and giving one of these steaks a try.

[B]One of the merchants Omaha Steaks has the best offers,even 60% off on freezer wrapped meats.They don't buy from Japan,or overseas.When I worked for a refrigeration company,I had to go with salesman to a slaughter house,afte watching the heads chopped off, and ceiling hung saws chop up the carcasses, I became a vegetatian for about a year,Grissly
    JJ
    [FONT=Times New Roman]Even Einstein read comic books to relax[/FONT] :clap:

Egad!! Those are some high prices. I visited Japan earlier this year and was told to try the Kobe beef. It was about $90-$100 per steak and I couldn't believe it, so I didn't give it a try. Looking back I guess those were pretty reasonable prices

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Network Rep & ABW Ambassador Carolyn - ShareASale's Avatar
    There's this place across the street from ShareASale that sells $20 Kobe beef burgers topped with foie gras and black truffle. None of us here have taken the plunge yet...I can't even imagine what that would taste like or what my arteries would look like post-burger.
    best,
    Carolyn
    ShareASale Client Services
    Y!: SAS_CTang
    e: ctang(at)shareasale.com

foie gras, is that, like, astro turf, or what?

Network Rep & ABW Ambassador Carolyn - ShareASale's Avatar
    From wiki:

"Foie gras [fw gr] (French for "fat liver") is the liver of a duck or goose that has been overfed. Along with truffles, foie gras is considered one of the greatest delicacies in the world of French cuisine. It is very rich and buttery, with a delicate flavor unlike regular duck or goose liver."
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foie_gras
    best,
    Carolyn
    ShareASale Client Services
    Y!: SAS_CTang
    e: ctang(at)shareasale.com

ewww, I'd take astro-turf and a cold beer over goose liver any day of the week.

A new site idea: stuffiwonteat.com .

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast