Banners for New Merchant Program
    Hi everybody, My name is Carrie and I'm a graphic designer who is helping out a friend with some creative (banners, etc.) for the SAS affiliate program she plans to launch in the next few weeks. I thought that this would be a great forum to get some advice on how many different designs and what size banners I should make for her to launch with? I was thinking 2 or 3 different designs and maybe 3 or 4 sizes but would love to get your feedback. I know that banners aren't the big $$ makers, but I do want to make sure that I give her the most popular or requested sizes and enough variety in the designs to get the program off to a great start.. Any info, advice, etc. would be greatly appreciated.. Thanks!

Network Rep & ABW Ambassador Carolyn - ShareASale's Avatar
    Hey there!
    Here are the IAB ad unit standards:
    http://www.iab.net/standards/adunits.asp

I generally try to provide four standard banner sizes plus a logo button (88x31):
    120x240
    120x600
    160x80
    468x60

If you have time to make more, definitely do. Hope that helps!
    best,
    Carolyn
    ShareASale Client Services
    Y!: SAS_CTang
    e: ctang(at)shareasale.com

I generally try to provide four standard banner sizes plus a logo button (88x31):
    120x240
    120x600
    160x80
    468x60
    I'm surprised that no one had mentioned the ad-blocker issues yet.

While those are some of the standard banner sizes, it's also the sizes that No-r-ton and other ad-blocker programs block from our pages.

Those are the standard banner sizes that they put on many peoples PC's .host files in order to block those banners.

I think it would be better to make those sizes one pixel more or one pixel less, in order to try to beat those No-r-ton's programs.

That's just my opinion, because after I have seen what those programs do to our pages, I try to resize by one pixel any standard banner I use every time I have the chance.

Sal.

Thanks a lot for responding.. Besides the banner sizes, do you have any input or suggestions for what types of creative are best to start with or work the best? Since we're just starting out, I can only do one or 2 different designs (of course more will be added as the program gets going and affiliates start making requests) but should they be really general or more category specific?
    Do affiliates like seasonal banners and if so, when will you put those up?

[I]Normally smaller banners work best, some of the larger ones make take too much time to open, and putting too many, would slow browsers down.I have many seasonal banners,if they rotate, that is keep updating them, since the dated banners,or text take to long to search and delete on websites.
    JJ
    [FONT=Times New Roman]Even Einstein read comic books to relax[/FONT] :clap:

From our experience, it makes best sense to create several dozen standard size banners (120x120, 468x60, etc) and buttons, and then talk to your most active affiliates about their particular needs; as many use custom-sized banners at their sites.

Geno

Talking new to industry and linkshare
    Hey All,

I registered last night on ABW, and haven't stopped reading threads since...
    There is a wealth of learned people belonging here. That being said, I really need some insight into how to best promote merchant site with the affiliate community in general...we use LS, so I certainly can see who is performing for us, but I am a little apprehensive about picking up the phone to see how I can better serve them for fear of stumbling over words or blanking on a request due to lack of experience...any advice or guidance would be great--and I'll keep reading!

--Dan

Quote Originally Posted by C1Rook
    I registered last night on ABW, and haven't stopped reading threads since...
    There is a wealth of learned people belonging here. That being said, I really need some insight into how to best promote merchant site with the affiliate community in general...
    Dan, welcome to ABW!

Check out http://www.abestweb.com/advertising and announce your program in the New Programs section to begin with!

Geno

Welcome Dan. Also consider opening a forum here and stay in touch with your affiliates.
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

Network Rep & ABW Ambassador Carolyn - ShareASale's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Sal
    That's just my opinion, because after I have seen what those programs do to our pages, I try to resize by one pixel any standard banner I use every time I have the chance.
    Quite true, quite true! I will start adding a pixel to our standard banner sizes.
    best,
    Carolyn
    ShareASale Client Services
    Y!: SAS_CTang
    e: ctang(at)shareasale.com

Talking ABW's Dynamic Presence
    So, where does LinkShare rate in terms of interfaces/tools to operate an Affiliate Program with...I'm noticing that ABW provides many great resources, for cost, I see. I like the interactive feel of this commuinity, and I know that LS and otehrs are used to track and report and all of that as well--It's funny that I was referred here by my LS account manager, and all I've seen thus far is how there are better services than LS, and that my $ resources could be better spent somewhere else--here, CJ...etc. What are general thoughts on best resources and services to use that are also cost-effective?

Thanks for welcoming me, I am in the midst of reporting to the sr. marketing manager within reader's digest digital business group on how best to operate an affiliate program....I am new, but i am sensing that there are better options than LS...it is understandable if my attempts of i guess free aff marketing advice go unanswered...

--Dan

Thumbs up
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Sal
    I'm surprised that no one had mentioned the ad-blocker issues yet.

...Those are the standard banner sizes that they put on many peoples PC's .host files in order to block those banners.

I think it would be better to make those sizes one pixel more or one pixel less, in order to try to beat those No-r-ton's programs.
    Wow, Sal. I actually never thought of it... You're a genious! Seriously.

Geno

Outsourced Program Manager
    Don't forget text links!!!
    Richard
    Affiliate Marketing Manager AMWSO
    Digestinol, Luxe-Design

Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up. Pablo Picasso

Hi CWhite and welcome,

One thing I like on a banner is "Click Here". They seem to convert better than ones without it. It lets the visitors know that it's not just another pretty picture. JMO of course and others might disagree

C1Rook,

If your talking of opening up merchant program then shareasale.com would be a great choice. I'm sure Carolyn could help you out with any details

Quote Originally Posted by C1Rook
    So, where does LinkShare rate in terms of interfaces/tools to operate an Affiliate Program with...I'm noticing that ABW provides many great resources, for cost, I see. I like the interactive feel of this commuinity, and I know that LS and otehrs are used to track and report and all of that as well--It's funny that I was referred here by my LS account manager, and all I've seen thus far is how there are better services than LS, and that my $ resources could be better spent somewhere else--here, CJ...etc. What are general thoughts on best resources and services to use that are also cost-effective?

Thanks for welcoming me, I am in the midst of reporting to the sr. marketing manager within reader's digest digital business group on how best to operate an affiliate program....I am new, but i am sensing that there are better options than LS...it is understandable if my attempts of i guess free aff marketing advice go unanswered...

--Dan
    If you get approvals from any of their better merchants, you will find any sales , even down to $2.00 will bring you a check,and their reports are better than any other programs, SAS was good, until some merchants refuse to post sales.

JJ

Namo
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard - AMWSO
    Don't forget text links!!!
    One of the top affiliates in this forum sent me a download for Namo,but I didn't have a registery number, besides the download wouldbe over 4 hours long. I contacted them, and it wasn't very expensive, it is one of the best web builiding programs I have seen in 6 years,all kinds of toold,templates, soft backgound music, and a very easy to read book, and how to info as part of the cd.
    JJ

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread