Need Help with Windows XP Networking
    This is driving me crazy and I can't figure out what's going wrong. I have 2 Windows XP computers, XP Pro on my PC and XP Home on my laptop. The laptop works on a wireless network and can access the Internet fine. I have two accounts setup on both machines, Greg and Deb (my wife), with the same password, my password is the same on both machines and Deb's password is the same on both machines and both accounts are administrators on both.

When I login to the laptop as Greg, I can see the shared folders on the PC and can print from the PC's printer. When logged into the laptop using Deb's account, she can't see the shared folders on the PC or use the PC's printer. The only way she can see the shared folders or use the printer, is to first try to access a shared folder and use my user name and password when the password dialog box appears.

So the main question is, why does the PC recognize my login from the laptop but not her login? The network itself is working and works perfectly when I'm logged into the laptop and we're admins on both machines. Any ideas or anyone have a similar problem?
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

you have to run the network wizard for both accounts

On both machines? Even though the network connection exists? I've give it a try, thanks.

Well, I tried this and I'm losing ground. I logged in as Deb on both machines and ran the network wizard then rebooted. Now, when logged in as Deb I can't access the shared folders or the printer. When I try, the login dialog box appears and the user name is "Guest" with no option to change the user. The guest account is turned off so I don't know why this is showing.

You are suppose to run the network wizard on both machines and on all accounts especially if you have the accounts to be private.

I am not 100% sure but you may have to install the printer on all accounts as well by adding a network printer via the printer control panel.

The shared folders should appear in network places not sure why they aren't. I have a 5 computer network 4 running XP and 1 OSX and everything sees everything else.

Thanks HardwareGeek. So far, I can't figure out why one account works well and the other doesn't. The "Greg" account works as expected, full access both ways including the printer. The "Deb" account now doesn't work with the shared folders or the printer. When I try to access a shared drive using Deb, the user name dialog window pops up with the user name of Guest and it's greyed out so I can't put a name in there.

I setup a new account "Test" to practice with and that one acts the same as Deb, no shared folder access unless I login to the shared folder as Guest.

I ran the network setup wizard on Deb and Test but not Greg, since this one works fine. I'm hesitant to run the wizard on Greg since it works good now.

if it works with gred don't run the wizard on that account name.

Is the Deb account an Admin or Limited account/

The Deb account is an admin on both machines. I'm wondering if there's something with the way I added the other accounts. Both computers were setup with the Greg account but I don't know if that matters or not.

Since I posted this at a bad time and hoping someone else has had this problem as well.

I am honestly stumped.

Well, thanks for your help Mike, I sure appreciate it. It's probably something simple and stupid that I did wrong, just need to find out what.

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread