View Poll Results: Which web programmng language do you favor?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • ASP.NET 1.1

0 0%
  • PHP

14 82.35%
  • ASP.NET 2.0

1 5.88%
  • Classic ASP

2 11.76%
    Poll: ASP, ASP.NET or PHP
    I personally whichever one gets the job (see the poll). I have to use ASP.NET by day so I am going to start trying to use it 24/7 to get my skills sharp in that area.

I prefer PHP because it's open source and code is readily available for it. I don't mind ASP.NET and believe it's a powerful language, but it's just not for me. I prefer Linux servers as they're much more stable than Windows servers. You forgot to mention Ruby on Rails. This is the up and coming language of choice for many new webmasters. I'm starting to see more and more Rails sites and I don't expect it to lose any momentum in the years to come.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

same here.. PHP because its open source.

I use php because its opensource but really wanted to try out cfm or coldfusion it looks more effecient (streamlined). Since I inherit my computers from my brother (programer) I have Visualstudio and all the macromedia developer tools but don't have the time to sink my teeth into it.
    Suz~~GearGirl~~

Hooked on ASP.NET
    A long long time ago I was mysteriously included in some kind of group of Microsoft developers. I used MS software a lot, and they were very nice to me. The UPS truck would show up at my house unexpectedly at random times and drop off packages containing very expensive software, books, t-shirts, and all kinds of goodies, just for me, and just for free.

One day I got a box containing $14K bucks retail value of software. I never really figured out how I got included in that group, but it sure was fun. The UPS truck just races on by without stopping now. I'm a nobody.

It worked. Open source was free too, but the MS stuff was cool, and I had to use it. That was before php, and PERL couldn't do what I wanted to do on my sites. Now I am totally hooked on ASP.NET. An advantage is that classes and modules I develop can be used on the net and also in regular windows programs.

I've like PHP for awhile and did not touch anything but for the longest time.

Then while working on a contract I had to learn classic ASP, which turned into .NET and now we are getting ready to do some 2.0. I just bought a site for a CMS system for one of my affiliate programs and I chose the ASP.NET route (even though I am a linux reseller!) because it is something I use all day long. I am probably going to start using dotNetNuke after having been a big Postnuke fan for a long time. I'll probably always use both depending on what is needed.

One of things I will agree on: PHP/Linux is a cheaper market to get into. PHP hosting and PHP tools always seem to be cheaper. I don't really care that the language interpreter itself is open source. How many of us are going to look at the source code for a language interpreter. And as far as applications I am finding plenty of open source in both languages.

Patrick

Classic asp and now moving to php
    ================================================================
    Been away, now I'm back. Not as much, but I'm back & starting from scratch. Where I was, was fantastic. Where I am now, less so. Things have changed, become harder. So have I. Game ON!!!
    ================================================================

i use php.

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    Where's the PERL option?

PHP and Perl

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread