eBay: I need help!
    I simply don't understand exactly what I'm being paid for under the new eBay program.

The program terms say:

Affiliates can earn between 40% and 70% of eBay's revenue (not item sale price) on ALL Winning Bids or Buy It Nows (BINs) within 7 days of an affiliate action.

A "Winning Bid" is defined as any bid placed after a user comes to eBay from a link on your site (within 7 days of the original bid cookie being dropped) and that eventually becomes the Winning Bid on the item.

A "Buy It Now (BIN)" is defined as any BIN action placed after a user comes to eBay from a link on your site and uses BIN to purchase an item (within 7 days of the original BIN cookie being dropped).

Does this mean that if someone comes to eBay via my affiliate link, and proceeds to use buy-it-now to buy 10 items within seven days, without clicking on another affiliate link, that I would receive 40% of each of those ten transactions?

If so, that's fantastic. And it would explain why I'm seeing winning bid transactions without seeing a corresponding original "bid" cookie.

Such a program rewards affiliates who drive quality buyers to eBay, at the expense of the buyers who maybe enter one bid and then that's it.

Take a look at the program attached to my signature it's free and it will help you calculate your money.
    Need eBooks ? [URL=http://www.softebooks.com]We gott'em[/URL]:escape:<br>

In the telephone conference that all eBay affiliates were invited to, the eBay people clearly told us that we will be paid for how many ever winning bids as long as the bid was placed within 7 days of dropping our cookie.

Granted it's early to be throwing a party, but thus far I'm seeing nice increases under the new commission model from Ebay. My previous best month was $470 from Ebay (yeah, I know, I'm small fish). After 3.5 days in October, I'm at $125. You do the math.

I guess it all depends on the quality of the traffic you drive. Since my site is a community based around a certain type of collectible, there's a lot of regular return traffic that uses my site as a gateway to Ebay, and most of the regulars are hardcore collectors and Ebay addicts like myself. Shifting the proportion of income from ACRUs to revenue share is a winner for me...

I guess this is an official "mea culpa" as I was predicting decreasing commissions as a result of the change.

(of course I'm assuming that neither Ebay nor CJ will monkey with the mechanics or terms in the near future...)

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Affiliates can earn between 40% and 70% of eBay's revenue (not item sale price) on ALL Winning Bids or Buy It Nows (BINs) within 7 days of an affiliate action.
    How do they define the "of eBay's revenue" part?

Insertion (Listing) Fees
    Feature Fees
    Final Value Fees

Quote Originally Posted by dharding
    I guess it all depends on the quality of the traffic you drive. Since my site is a community based around a certain type of collectible, there's a lot of regular return traffic that uses my site as a gateway to Ebay, and most of the regulars are hardcore collectors and Ebay addicts like myself. Shifting the proportion of income from ACRUs to revenue share is a winner for me...
    I can see some more possibilities for you to grow your eBay traffic and make even more money.

(1) Right now, when there are no results, your Editor Kit just shows a link to eBay, "The World's Online Marketplace(TM)." If you change that to the "Show a dynamically sized search box inside the Editor Kit for users to search eBay listings" then a search box will appear with the Search Term you set already in it. That way, people will think that they need to click the search button. When they do, even though there are no items listed for bid, the Buy-It-Now items in the eBay stores will show up. They way it is right now, they might just assume nothing is available at eBay, cutting you out of potential BIN sales.

(2) You might also want to consider using the Flexible Destination Tool to create a link that people can click to see just the Buy-It-Now items available, which also brings up the eBay stores. I've been slowly going through my pages and adding it, and people are using it a lot. Just go to eBay, do an Advanced Search on the search term and check the Show Only Buy It Now items box. After you do the search, copy the resulting URL into the Flexible Destination form to get the code.

(3) When somebody visits your collection, clicks on a link, a new window opens with a description of the item. Why not add the Editor Kit results at the bottom of those new windows so that somebody looking for that item can look for it at eBay? I'm assuming you don't want to sell the one in your collection.

(4) You might consider joining Amazon's affiliate program, and adding a second link below the eBay editor kit to the individual items. Many of the items you promote are available at Amazon too. If you link to each individual item, Amazon pays anywhere from 7.5% to 10% (depending on the number of items you sell in a quarter). Plus, people like and trust Amazon. They often end up there, and go on a shopping spree, increasing your commissions.

Just some things to think about. I also promote things that people collect. I started out just promoting eBay listings, but was always frustrated when there were no results at eBay. I loved it when they added that search box features instead of no results. Over time, Amazon grew and so many people sell directly there, that I went back through all my pages, and added links to the items at Amazon.

Even after that I was still frustrated with the eBay no listings, and the fact that I didn't think there was a way to link to items in the stores. Then somebody here started asking questions about the Flexible Destination Tool, which I had never bothered with. I went and played with it, and that's when I figured out I could provide the store listings with the Buy-It-Now filtering.

I just wish I figured all this out all at once. What a pain to go back and add Amazon and BINs to my old pages. On the bright side, when I add new pages, I cover all bases first time around and things go a lot faster. Plus I've figured out that once I set my search terms, a lot of time I just have to copy the info from one page to another, and then do a simple search and replace of the search term words, and that covers all the eBay code. I still have to hard code the Amazon ASIN numbers.

My philosphy is that when somebody lands on my page looking for something, I want them to be able to find it. So I try to provide every possibility available to them to find what they are looking for.

Thanks for the great pointers! PM sent...

Received and answered.

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread