eBay -- proof of missed transactions?
    Unless I'm completely missing something, I've found several transactions that I was not credited for. I can offer proof.

First example is this auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=5245103579

Exactly one bid, corresponding with a Bid transaction on my CJ report. The click date was 9/17, but the event date was 10/1, and the auction ended on 10/2. No payment yet for this auction.

Next example:

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tem=5106776738

The winning bid was placed on 10/2, 20:03:56. The winning bidder actually placed three bids very close to each other, the othersat 20:03:36 and 20:03:22.

I have three transactions corresponding to the winning bidder's userID for this auction: 10/1 21:59, 10/2 14:20, and 10/2 20:03.

If I understand the program, I am supposed to get credit for every winning bid placed by a referred user within 7 days. I referred this bidder at most 34 seconds before he placed the winning bid. There's not much chance that another eBay affiliate would have overwritten my cookie in that time span. So why am I not credited with this win?

Third example:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=5129123103

A bid was placed by 10/1 12:27:42. I have a corresponding transaction from 10/1 12:27. No other bids are in that time frame. This auction ended on 10/1. I have yet to get credit for the win. This bidder was from an Ireland IP address (I store that in the SID). I wonder if that has to do with anything -- they still came through eBay.com though.

Next example: I'm curious as to what exactly is resetting the 7-day cookies. I set a cookie on a user on 10/2 18:07. The user did not win that auction, but I was credited for bids he placed for auctions that were won on 10/2 19:51, 10/2 20:05, and 10/2 20:30. Those times correspond with the end times of auctions he won. He bid very close to the ending dates of those auctions.

However, he also bid on 10/3 on several other auctions, and he won them. I was not credited with the wins from those auctions. How much of a lag is there for reporting, I wonder? My numbers from 10/1 and 10/2 didn't change from yesterday to today, but my 10/3 numbers changed mid-day yesterday.

I would expect that eBay will change the rules on this program very quickly; they are probably giving away too much money on the people I refer that bid on multiple items, because I don't think that those latter transactions had much to do with my referral. I'd think that the 7-day cookie will probably be reduced to either a 1-day cookie, or maybe even a session cookie.

Ralph

You are surprised by this because?

I thought we just get credit for NEW ebayers not old ones that bid

Wow this new crediting system is going to cut our Ebay revenue by over 60%.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Slate

Next example: I'm curious as to what exactly is resetting the 7-day cookies. I set a cookie on a user on 10/2 18:07. The user did not win that auction, but I was credited for bids he placed for auctions that were won on 10/2 19:51, 10/2 20:05, and 10/2 20:30. Those times correspond with the end times of auctions he won. He bid very close to the ending dates of those auctions.

However, he also bid on 10/3 on several other auctions, and he won them. I was not credited with the wins from those auctions. How much of a lag is there for reporting, I wonder? My numbers from 10/1 and 10/2 didn't change from yesterday to today, but my 10/3 numbers changed mid-day yesterday.
    Is it not possible that between 20:30 on 10/2 and the time he made bids on 10/3 that your affiliate cookie was overwritten?

We really have no way of knowing, do we? It's a bit of a crapshoot.

I agree, it is a bit of a crapshoot as to when a cookie gets overwritten. But I'm curious about it nonetheless, and it is possible to double-check. For example, auctions where bids were placed between the intial bid and another credited auction.

I've got a lot of users who bid on multiple things, yet only some of them are credited. Those holes might be due to a time-lag in the reporting, but I'd like to know just what can overwrite this 7-day cookie.

For example, eBay userID haim-1 got cookied by my site five times between 10/2 and 10/4. He won 13 auctions in that time frame. I've been credited with just two of them so far. Several are clearly due to a time lag, but we'll see about the others.

Ralph

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread