View Poll Results: What level of education have you attained?

Voters
92. You may not vote on this poll
  • Currently attending school

0 0%
  • Didn't graduate from H.S.

1 1.09%
  • H.S. Diploma or GED

7 7.61%
  • Business or Trade School

4 4.35%
  • Some college

18 19.57%
  • Associates Degree

1 1.09%
  • Bachelors Degree

39 42.39%
  • Masters Degree

19 20.65%
  • PhD

3 3.26%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    Education Poll
    I was wondering about the educational level in our community. There are a lot of very bright people hanging out at ABW and it'd be interesting to see what kinds of education we all have.

I'm a firm believer that everything I know (even my ability to sing along with Looney Tunes songs) helped prepare me to do AM.

ABW Ambassador
    Looney Tunes
    If ya don't know Looney Tunes you should not be in this BIZ

Yeah and if you don't know the Looney Tunes affiliate program you're out of business :P

Personally I did what you call high school, then I got a diploma in Arts and Letters from a college, and then I did a graphic designer class, I think you call it GED but I'm not sure, we call it "professional studies diploma" in Quebec. And from 20 to 28 years old, I learned the Internet and softwares like crazy.
    "Effective people are not problem-minded; they're opportunity minded. They feed opportunities and starve problems."

I EARNED my B.F.A. yes thats right a bachelors in Fine Art. When I tell people this they think its a blow off degree...it is not. For a fine arts degree you spend an extra semester in classes geared towards art history, studio and esthetics/philosophy. I learned so much about what drives our western society.

I too have many friends that never went or didn't finish and dismiss the whole experience. It took alot of determination on my part to finish. I was an older student like Rhea and I believe because of this I milked as much out of my education as possible. I knew how hard it is to dedicate yourself to your passions with no distractions in the real world.

Now I'm in debt(student loans) able to work at home with 2 small children and using everypart of my education everyday in affiliate marketing, and online sales!

So there!!
    Suz~~GearGirl~~

I think you hit the nail on the head, Suzi. It's difficult for people to understand the course work in any field other than their own. And it's particularly difficult for someone who hasn't attended college to understand the value of it. Heck, some folks who do attend college can't seem to figure out the value of it.

I have no clue what's required to do a BFA or an MBA or a JD or any degree other than biology and earth science. It wasn't all grind work either as I got to learn how to pilot a boat, navigate, spent summer days collecting animals at the beach, crewing on a trawler and lots of other fun, but educational activities. If you don't mind getting smelly, wet and dirty on a regular basis marine biology is a blast!

I think those of us who attended college as non-traditional students probably got more out of the experience than if we'd attended as 18 year olds. Every non-trad student I've met really treasured their college experience. In my graduating class was a retired secretary in her seventies who graduated summa cum laude. She got her degree because she said she felt unfulfilled without having had the experience. What an inspiration!

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Personally, the learning curve I went through to learn how to market other people's crap online and to publish my newsletter without looking like a complete moron qualifies as the most difficult school of hard knocks yet ... college was a breeze compared to this!
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

lol, Rexanne, if I'd made the kinds of mistakes in college that I've made with AM I'd have flunked out for sure!

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhea
    lol, Rexanne, if I'd made the kinds of mistakes in college that I've made with AM I'd have flunked out for sure!
    In here, we rely only on ourselves ... no professors, text books or someone to fix the equipment when it breaks. I never dreamed it would be this complicated or that there would be so much to learn before I could just get a web page built or a newsletter published. Writing content is the easy part. LOL
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

i wonder if a post grad certificate counts towards a masters degree

didnt have the patience to finish the course.. got bored with it

A Real *and* Darn Cool Member! lstolze's Avatar
    I was considered a non-traditional student too - simply because I was already like 23. It was weird because I realized how far removed 18 is from 23 mentality wise. I had already worked many years, and here I was in classes with people that complained because they had to work PT at the mall to get beer money. I befriended a woman that was 55 at that time, and decided to go back to school because her husband left her and she had only ever worked as a stylist. Talk about inspiration! We were both majoring in Communications - with heavy tech use - and she was drowning. I pulled her through all the tech classes. She was very smart, but just had a real hard time retaining anything to do with computers. And I was a complete robot, not into girly stuff at all. She taught me how to wax my eyebrows, I taught her how to record and edit for radio. LOL!

I better watch it...letting out too many secrets! But I hear all the time how a BA in Communications is bogus. Meanwhile, I could get a job in radio, television, publishing, advertisng or marketing - unlike some other majors which are very specific and narrow. I'm thrilled with my experience, though I wish I didn't owe the student loans.
    ~Lisa - Brilliant Mastermind, or Nut? You decide!

I was schooled in life - left HS at 16 because the people in charge here in Texas could not transfer the advanced courses I was taking at an alternative school in Calif. They wanted me to take 3 study halls, drama, art, PE and then repeat the grade the next year. So I quit.

Hit the road and hitch hiked across country, lived in a commune, went to a "free school" in Caspar Calif, spent some time in SF and Berkley, attended the Quaker protest of Nixon in front of the White House, lived and traveled in an old VW Van with a sun painted on the front, and so much more...

Got married, had kids. Took my GED when in my 30's and passed first time. Went on to college to take courses that interested me.

Yep, the school of life. It's been far out!
    Ebudae

WOW!!! This is an interesting topic...'Education poll'. Well, I did my graduation in Psychology...yes, you all saw it right...it's psychology...the study of mind. I'm still a student...I mean, I am doing my masters degree on this subject. Let's see, how far I can go with this.

Quote Originally Posted by Meg
    WOW!!! This is an interesting topic...'Education poll'. Well, I did my graduation in Psychology...yes, you all saw it right...it's psychology...the study of mind. I'm still a student...I mean, I am doing my masters degree on this subject.
    Where at, Meg? BTW, welcome to ABW!

It is a great poll. Thank you, Rhea!

Geno

A "teacher" by trade - until I got involved in the Internet. Actually, some kids (eighth graders) in our Middle School got me involved back in 1997. They wanted to build a School Website and needed a faculty member to help.

I now work for the school system on a part/time basis and devote a LOT of time to this Internet "stuff."

I originally started part-time with a "community" site promoting local businesses and building Websites for some of them. THEN I got involved in Affilate Marketing with a popular hotel affiliate - now I have "laid off" all of my Website customers and concentrate on travel/hospitality on my own sites (and on my own terms); and am branching out into other areas (primarily education and women's topics) to build a diversified portfolio of online income.

I am self-taught in the Web World, and believe my education and continuing education has helped me teach myself what I need(ed) to know to be successful online.

Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

I know what you mean about how people disregard degrees. I have a bachelor's degree in Music - Voice Performance from the University of Kansas (Rock Chalk Jayhawk!!) and people always assumed it was a blow-off degree. Between a full class load - required attendance of 28 recitals a semester, practice time, and a full blown recital required to graduate I was BUSY. I always loved the non-majors that talked about how easy their Music Appreciation/History class was. Uhhg. They studied everything from Gregorian Chant to Rock and Roll in one semester. Like they really learned the ins and outs of any of it.

Oh well, sorry for the rant. I don't use my degree in my working life, but I sing in a chorus and a quartet outside of work and coach choruses and quartets in my spare time. So it was all worth it.

Sheri

I would say that my college education (B.S. Computer Science) was only good for the fact that I learned the fundamentals. Aside from that, it's been experience and attitude that has taken me along to where I am now, and I doubt my education was of importance (my overall GPA was like 2.7).

Not just me either...it seems more and more people are being hired based on their experience or willingness to learn, which I think is a good thing (I know that'll aggrivate some people who take much pride in their degree).

My last boss (an I.T. Director) was not much older than me, but was smarter by a factor of 10. He was just one brilliant fella when it came to technology...and he got that position with a highschool degree and some time spent in the national guard (that's it). He just worked his way up in short order with hard work and smarts.

I was an English/Mass Comm major... I now, however, consider myself a MBA Killer.... LOL.

Interesting that we have 3 PhD's here. Anyone want to bet on who they are?
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

ABW Ambassador
    ONE must be Charlie

Affiliate Manager AffiliateBuddha's Avatar
    I left school at 15 - to dedicate my time to work (read: Affiliate marketing). but I'm not considering finishing college and getting a degree or two, and then an MBA too (hey, that rhymes! , lol)
    Gift Shopping Zone Affiliate Program on SAS - 10% per sale with unlimited cookie duration, over 10,000 products.

How funny, I was just thinking about creating this exact same poll. Despite the fact that it's almost a year old it's still very relevant.

I have a BS in Computer Science and what's ironic is if I hadn't taken the time to go to school my business would be much larger. I started in this business in high school and took a break to go to college. I could have continued with my website through those years, but I would have missed out on all the adventure of school. Who knows, maybe I'd be a millionaire by now. But school was worth it and there's still plenty of time to make my millions

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Question For Snib
    Quote Originally Posted by Snib
    How funny, I was just thinking about creating this exact same poll. Despite the fact that it's almost a year old it's still very relevant.

I have a BS in Computer Science and what's ironic is if I hadn't taken the time to go to school my business would be much larger. I started in this business in high school and took a break to go to college. I could have continued with my website through those years, but I would have missed out on all the adventure of school. Who knows, maybe I'd be a millionaire by now. But school was worth it and there's still plenty of time to make my millions

- Scott
    Snib, do you think your college education, especially your computer courses, helped you to more easily learn new systems, programming, and technology to make you successful today? i.e. Did the coursework you took provide you with better deductive reasoning skills?

I am just trying to find out the "real" benefits of college so I can tell this to my kids.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

The Department of Labor puts out some revealing statistics. Over their lifetime, the average college graduate earns more than a million dollars more than the average high school graduate.

Whether you directly use what you learned in college or not, the skills you learn will help you tremendously.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    The Department of Labor puts out some revealing statistics. Over their lifetime, the average college graduate earns more than a million dollars more than the average high school graduate.
    Wow!! Do you have a link to that, Michael?

Geno

Quote Originally Posted by Geno Prussakov
    Do you have a link to that...
    I found it here Careful, this is a link to a PDF.

Cheesehead,
    I agree with Michael that there are many skills learned by going to college. The income part is very relevant, but I know that I would be a very different person today if not for my time spent at college. There is just a certain growing up; life learning process that takes place that I think is immeasurable.

You should definitely encourage your kids to go to college. As for what they study and how relevant it will be in their work lives, they need to find a good balance between something that will be a marketable skill and something that they enjoy doing. Too much of either category skews the results a little bit. A good mix of those two things and they can be happy with what their future holds.

Sheri

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast