CJ Product Catalog or Datafeed
    Hello all,
    first I would like to thank all affiliates for a great job in the last 2-3 months. Our sales went up 35% and so did affiliate commissions.

Since your performance is what counts, I would like to ask you what you preffer: CJ Product catalog or datafeed in CSV, txt or other similar form?
    I just had a conversation with a CJ employee and he suggested the CJ product catalog. From what I understood, we have to pay to create it and publishers have to pay as well. I would welcome any input on this.

CJ Product catalog:
    1) affiliates can pull the complete feed if they choose.
    2) Non datafeed using affiliates now have access to your individual products

External Feed:
    1) Affiilates can pull the complete feed if they choose.
    2) Non datafeed using affiliates have no access to your individual products unless they manually make links.

That's a simplified comparison bt it highlights a big thing. Most affiliates don't use feeds.

Now, I use feeds and I get many from CJ. Some merchants offer both CJ feeds and external ones and for most of those I still use the CJ one. The exceptions are when the external feed is real time or offers more categories/content than what they provide CJ.
    That said, if you can configure a feed for CJ, then it's usually not that much extra to also configure one externally for affiliates who a) don't want to pay the $200(250?) for access to CJ feeds. or b) prefer getting their feeds direct from the merchant

There are a few other threads on this topic that you could probably find with a bit of looking, sorry I don't remember what they were called. I'm sure others while pitch in soon.

hope that helps.
    ================================================================
    Been away, now I'm back. Not as much, but I'm back & starting from scratch. Where I was, was fantastic. Where I am now, less so. Things have changed, become harder. So have I. Game ON!!!

I should add to, i have a couple of merchants that update their CJ feeds every couple of weeks, but their external one is done almost daily. That's why I use their external one.
    Been away, now I'm back. Not as much, but I'm back & starting from scratch. Where I was, was fantastic. Where I am now, less so. Things have changed, become harder. So have I. Game ON!!!

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Another benefit of the CJ feed: Easily automatable.

I definitely prefer the CJ product catalog/feed. I update my PHP-ized sites with that every week. Merchants without a feed available through CJ, have to be done outside that system, and so hardly ever get an update. "Hardly ever" = several months, or they may be forgotten entirely.

I automate through both CJ and the external feeds.
    As long as the external feed is in either an http or ftp location, it's all good. For teh merchants with external realtime feeds, this allows me on sale days to grab that feed three or four times during that day as needed. Good for merchants that are known for having low stock levels or when the items on sale are clearance with limited inventory.
    It's when merchants start wanting to email feeds that they go to "when I get time" status. Quickly followed by Leader's "Hardly ever" to "forgotten entirely" status ... es.. us .. status's ... statuses ... statae?

Many Mountain Dew Energy drinks make me mighty wide awake but not so smurt like.

I always use CJ product Catalog.

I use the CJ data feeds for ease of automation.

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Product catalog for us affiliates who don't make enough (YET!) to pay CJ for the use of the data feed option.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

You will need BOTH a CJ feed and a CSV feed available outside of CJ if you want to reach more affiliates.

Some Techie Type affiliates are capable of working with any feed -- most affiliates that use other tools to work the datafeeds will want a CSV format.

The MOST important thing is the COLUMN HEADERS.. your feed should be well organized and have Category, Subcategory-1 and SubCategory-2 if available.

If you have a feed that is well organized it is a lot easier to work with and make unique.. the last thing you want is everyone using your feed right out of the box.. Using datafeeds right out of the box is what makes datafeed sites less valuable to a merchant the SE's and the customers..

Take a look at this Format for your column headers..
    -----------------
    Column Headers::::::

Item#
    MFGR Model#
    Brand or Manufacturer..
    Name
    Description
    Short Description
    Category
    Subcategory
    Group - "If Applicable"
    ThumbUrl
    ImageUrl
    BuyLink
    Keywords
    Reviews - "If Applicable"
    Retail Price
    Sale Price
    Brand Page Link (Affiliate link to the BRAND Page on the merchants site)
    Brand Logo (Image Url for the products Brand Logo)
    Misc Content
    -----------------

If you make your feed look similar to that - everyone will be able to use it.. even the non-techie types that have datafeed sites..

Affiliates that have tech skills to work with any feed..
    seem to LOVE it when a merchant makes a messed up feed.. it cuts down on the affiliate competition so they win and YOU LOSE..

As a merchant you want as many people using your feeds and advertising for you as possible.. Isn't that the point of having an Affiliate Program in the first place...??

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread