Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Another eBay Question
    So with the new structure...if you attract a SELLER to eBay, will you get a commission on their seller eBay fees???

No. Too many sellers on Ebay.

Ebay has no problem finding Sellers. They need us to drive Buyers to the site. So they pay when people Register and Bid, or just Bid or BIN and win.

Think about it. If somebody is looking for something particular, the first thing that pops into their head isn't, "Let me see if somebody is selling it on eBay." However, they might do a search on the Internet. Say they are looking for Blue Widgets. If you have a page set up for Blue Widgets, with a nice description and places that they can buy them (if available elsewhere), as well as an Editor List of all the Blue Widgets available at eBay, then they might go to eBay.

Since the change to the payment structure, I've been watching every bid placed through my site. Something I never paid much attention to prior to the change. What absolutely amazes me is the number of items that people are bidding on that have nothing to do with what they were looking for when they clicked my link.

I've found what really works well is stuff that has been discontinued or no longer manufactured, as well as collectibles. There are so many things people collect that you can often only find at eBay.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy
    What absolutely amazes me is the number of items that people are bidding on that have nothing to do with what they were looking for when they clicked my link.
    I've noticed that too! I run a site that is somewhat automotive related, so I can see why folks might bid on hubcaps or something. But dresses?? I certainly didn't expect one of my visitors to bid on a dress. That one kind of threw me.

-M

But dresses?? I certainly didn't expect one of my visitors to bid on a dress. That one kind of threw me.
    Probably some poor guy in trouble with his wife/girlfriend for working on his car too much! Thought he'd buy some spark plugs AND a dress!

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by meadowmufn
    I've noticed that too! I run a site that is somewhat automotive related, so I can see why folks might bid on hubcaps or something. But dresses?? I certainly didn't expect one of my visitors to bid on a dress. That one kind of threw me.

-M
    LOL! I have a site that is cooking related and somebody did a BIN on Corvette Aluminum Wheel Lug Nuts:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=8004465346

I think they were looking for your automotive site and ended up at my cooking site by mistake. Must be Google's latest reindexing. All screwed up again.

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    This thread is from 2005, I'm wondering if anyone can reconfirm that the eBay affiliate program still doesn't pay for sellers?

I've got traffic in a specialized niche and I often refer people to sell something specific on eBay that they don't normally associate with eBay for some reason. I was thinking of writing some tips for sellers of this specialized item pertinent to eBay, but if I can't monetize it, I think I'll skip it (and use it on something that does pay me for my narrowly focused and valuable traffic I port off my site).

I did check the information at CJ and I couldn't see any methods that pay for sellers, but sometimes the rules aren't obvious or clear and they don't always provide insight into special cases others may have run into.

Anyone know if there's a way to monetize traffic sent to eBay for the purposes of referring them there to be a seller?

I suppose an alternate technique might be for me to place an adsense block on the page and see what comes up contextually once I built the content... thoughts on that or alternative monetization ideas?

Still doesn't pay for sellers, only buyers.

Donuts,

I'm wondering if you would cash in if you send the seller to the seller sign up page with your cj link. I know you wouldn't get a lead for referring the seller but what if the seller buys in the 30 day time period. It would seem to me that sellers would do some buying also at ebay. Of course I'm not sure if that would automatically void your 30 day cookie or not once they sign up as a seller???

Action Criteria A visitor becomes a confirmed, active user of eBay.com within 30 days of registration.
    Action Referral Period 30 day(s)
    Action Referral Occurrences 1 time(s)
    Commission $25.00 USD

Wait, I'm curious about the part where you can see what they bid on. Would a person need to get all fancy to do that?

I only recently started promoting eBay and while I can tell what page I sent the visitor from/what ad they clicked, I can't see what's been bid on or sold. Where should I be looking?

Cheers!
    Eathan Mertz

Black Cat Mining - Gold Prospecting & Rockhounding Equipment

I'm also wondering how I can see what visitors to my site bid on through my ebay link(s). IS this through ebay directly, or through CJ?

Quote Originally Posted by Eathan
    Wait, I'm curious about the part where you can see what they bid on. Would a person need to get all fancy to do that?
    Who said you can do that? Hope something I said wasn't misunderstood. Eathan, for clarity, who is your question aimed at please?

Quote Originally Posted by Packy
    I'm wondering if you would cash in if you send the seller to the seller sign up page with your cj link. I know you wouldn't get a lead for referring the seller but what if the seller buys in the 30 day time period. It would seem to me that sellers would do some buying also at ebay. Of course I'm not sure if that would automatically void your 30 day cookie or not once they sign up as a seller???
    Packy, I respect you, but think you posted this reply in a weak moment or something... your answer sounds like hope more so than a plan. Yep, sure, some sellers might become buyers by happenstance, but that's not the typical kind of execution I want to put into action. If it's worked for you, I'd consider trying it out myself, but otherwise, it smacks of just wishful thinking. If that's all it is, then thanks for the mojo and for the answering effort to try and help me out as well, but I'm looking for something more concrete'ish.

Donuts,

That isn't the first and won't be the last weak moment I have I do some buying there and noticed that a good part of the sellers also buy. Would it be a plan to lay out, probably not but it could be something to think about if nothing else comes to mind.

Below is the first seller I clicked on and it might not be the norm but after looking at a few other sellers feedbacks I was surprised to see how many do in fact sell and buy. Of course you would only have 30 days to get the credit though. Just a thought and not a plan

http://myworld.ebay.com/lawnjazzy/

BTW - the respect is mutual Donuts

Quote Originally Posted by meadowmufn

-M
    Donuts, I was referring to the above. THat's from teh 2 year old thread. We should probably start a new thread on this topic. I'm going to go do that in a bit.

Donuts, I was going back a couple years as well. The 3rd post talks about monitoring what people are bidding on, as does the post SuzanneMarie quoted. I was just saying essentially "Wha...? Hold the phone. You can see what people bid on?!?!"
    Eathan Mertz

Oh, ok, cool - i must have missed that "seeing bid / bought" stuff, i was tunnel visioned on my question... mr. selfish and all... :-) but wanted to make sure i was confusing anyone, so thanks for the posts back.

So I don't know about bids, but you can see what people are buying. You run a "Commission Detail" report in CJ, then download the csv or txt file. Search for the Sale Amount and then scroll to the right till you see a string such as :

50649689;130156004870;6285;20070918;20070924;1;24500.00;000US;9340341339

The part in bold is the eBay item id. You can then go to eBay and paste this string into the search box on their home page and it will take you to the auction item.

Yeah, I sold a couple cars last month... Gotta love cookies..
    Merchants, any data you provide to Google Shopping should also be in your affiliate network datafeed. More data means more sales!

nice info, nice fez. thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by isellstuff
    So I don't know about bids, but you can see what people are buying. You run a "Commission Detail" report in CJ, then download the csv or txt file. Search for the Sale Amount and then scroll to the right till you see a string such as :

50649689;130156004870;6285;20070918;20070924;1;24500.00;000US;9340341339

The part in bold is the eBay item id. You can then go to eBay and paste this string into the search box on their home page and it will take you to the auction item.

Yeah, I sold a couple cars last month... Gotta love cookies..
    Awesome info isellstuff I haven't used ebay all that much until recently and this info is going to help me out a lot. Thanks, it's appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by isellstuff
    So I don't know about bids, but...
    Sweet!!!

That is one damn awesome post! I should give you a free link from somewhere or something for that one. Now I just need to figure out how to download more than one day at a time.
    Eathan Mertz

Quote Originally Posted by Eathan
    Now I just need to figure out how to download more than one day at a time.
    Click modify query... :P
    Eathan Mertz

All this time with these top affiliates at ABW and few of you actually knew how to see what someone bid on with ebay? Wow.

Never had much point until actually promoting eBay.
    Eathan Mertz

Ah, I thought there were HUGE ebay affiliate marketers here that made tons of money with them. I must have been wrong.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast