Acceptable Privacy Policies?
    It would be nice if someone from CJ (HI TODD) would post here about the concern we have as to what constitutes an acceptable privacy policy per the terms of the new PSA. Also, it wouldn't hurt to get some informative discussion (as opposed to the normal kvetching) going here amongst the viewership.

I've taken a look through CJ's policy page (as well as others, e.g., Google), and not only is it a gazillion miles long, certain sections read like legalistic mumbo jumbo.

I've always opted for a simpler approach. Clear, concise, and to the point. Not only that, but IMO the more verbage you have, the more you can be hung on legally.

Here is a copy of my current privacy policy, updated today. Some of the wording is in fact adapted from CJ's policy page. Some information is redacted for my own privacy.

I previously did not have anything in my privacy policy about log files, but found the paragraph on CJ's privacy page to be a good one, so I adapted some of the content.

Adequate? Suggestions?

Privacy Policy

Last updated October 7, 2005

The success of [SITE NAME] depends upon our ability to maintain the trust of our users. Below is information regarding our commitment to protect the privacy of users.

[SITE NAME] has created this privacy statement in order to demonstrate our firm commitment to viewers' privacy. The following paragraphs disclose our information gathering and dissemination practices for the [SITE NAME] website:

Email Addresses

When you choose to submit information for inclusion in the [SITE NAME] database, your email address is requested for contact purposes. Also, when you register to add comments to certain pages on the site, you are asked to provide your email address. Your email address will not given out, traded, or sold to third parties.

Cookies

Your web browser will store information about [SITE NAME] to make your visit more convenient: (1) when you change your setting for the display of the [CONTENT] pages, that setting is stored in your browser so it is remembered on your next visit, and (2) when you login to leave comments, your login and password are stored in your web browser so you do not have to re-enter them.

You have the option of blocking the use of Cookies by changing a setting in your web browser. Please see your browser supplier's Web site for details on how to do this.

Logs

We use log files to collect Internet protocol (IP) addresses, browser type, country of origin, referring/exit pages, platform type, date/time stamp, and other general information. We use this information to analyze site usage, administer the site, understand usage and navigation trends, and determine the viability of content. This information, is NOT linked to any personally identifiable information.

Links

This site contains links to other sites. [SITE NAME] is not responsible for the privacy practices or the content of such web sites.

Contact

If you have any questions about this privacy statement, the practices of this site, or your dealings with this web site, you can contact

[OWNER NAME]
    Owner, [SITE NAME]
    webmaster@sitename.com

[SITE NAME]
    [SNAIL MAIL ADDRESS]

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dharding
    It would be nice if someone from CJ (HI TODD) would post here about the concern we have as to what constitutes an acceptable privacy policy per the terms of the new PSA. Also, it wouldn't hurt to get some informative discussion (as opposed to the normal kvetching) going here amongst the viewership.

I've taken a look through CJ's policy page (as well as others, e.g., Google), and not only is it a gazillion miles long, certain sections read like legalistic mumbo jumbo.

I've always opted for a simpler approach. Clear, concise, and to the point. Not only that, but IMO the more verbage you have, the more you can be hung on legally.

Here is a copy of my current privacy policy, updated today. Some of the wording is in fact adapted from CJ's policy page. Some information is redacted for my own privacy.

I previously did not have anything in my privacy policy about log files, but found the paragraph on CJ's privacy page to be a good one, so I adapted some of the content.

Adequate? Suggestions?
    Sounds very good. Thank you for posting it, dharding. I wish you would post more often. Your posts offer good advice, relevant info and valid opinions :-)
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Years ago, there was a form online that created privacy policies for you. You just answered questions, input E-mail addresses, etc., and it was generated for you. I want to say it was provided by Microsoft.

I started with that one, then had my attorney modify it as my sites grew. Strangely enough, it's being modified again as I write this. Should be online next week.

Here's one: Direct Marketing Association Privacy Policy Generator.

Andy

Added: I just found the one I originally used, it was from Microsoft's bCentral - but it's currently shut down to be updated to current compliancy standards.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Short and sweet for me... We don't sell -lend or give your privacy information to any third party. If you don't pay the 25.00 wholesale club fee you'll get no e-mail from us either. We removed all security webcams from our CyberMall so you shop naked if you want too.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

5. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread