More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Does even 1 in a million respond to this?
    It takes a certain amount of brains to get to be a homeowner so I can't see how there is a single person receiving the SPAM below that would reply.

Dear Home Owner, After completing the analysis we are enthusiastic to advance to you as we will specify, Your existing mortgage licenses you for more more than a 3.3 lesser cost! ------------------------------------------------------------------
    !! U.S MORTGAGE RATES HAVE NEVER BEEN LOWER !! ------------------------------------------------------------------
    Thousands of Your fellow neighbours have re-financed this month alone! So why not you? Go HERE to make that change. If you prefer to be left out of this amazing offer go here.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Heh, you get those too? Each week we get about 3 or 4 refi mortgage offers and about 10 or 12 credit card offers, most of them from Capital One and AMEX. My wife fills their postage paid envelope with other junk mail and mails it back to them.
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    There's a gal at our local post office that recommends folks doing that. ROFL. She must get a lot of junk mail herself.

I doubt homeowners actually do respond.

But lets go to marketing 101 and even touch on subliminal marketing ... do you buy a coke everytime you see an ad for it? No.

Isn't the refi market a screaming profit center? Yes

Aren't interest rates rising? Yes

Aren't those who missed the boat saying shoot I may have missed it? Yep

Doesn't this email really serve more than just SPAM? Yes ... ok how? ...

Does this ad [that is free] do more to an actual homeowner recipient than an a picture of coke or a jingle? Shoot yea ...

Ever notice how and when these emails proliferate? Pre when? Shoot rates could be 18% over prime but it would still work ... why ... it's free to spam ... well, not really with the laws and such, but you get my point ... it's virtually free!

I think there are advocacy / lobbyist groups, if you will, who help and sponsor such to spark response rates to CPM banners ... you doubt me?

Ok make a mental note ... see one of those elongated pig ads with rates for the whole us or whatever and see how many times you get such spam ... measure the rate and you'll see conjured marketing as I call it.

They conjure up a thrust by subliminally placing it in people's minds and then pimp it later in CPM. Get it?

Coke does branding, not pimping. Got it!

Ok it's spam that no one wants, but ... you gotta admit that my "answer" was Good!
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    And I thought they sent them just to piss us off.

Yeah that also.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

A Real *and* Darn Cool Member! lstolze's Avatar
    Wow, Haiko, that was incredibly good! I bought into it!
    ~Lisa - Brilliant Mastermind, or Nut? You decide!

ABW Ambassador
    We get those all the time
    ...and we no longer have a mortgage!

"After completing the analysis we are enthusiastic" YA RIGHT

Obviously these things must work, or people wouldn't do it. Whether it's by direct response or viral, the money must come in somewhere.

I like the idea about sending junk mail back to them - increases their costs, and they have to pay someone to open it up and throw it away! I think I'll start doing that as well!!

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by Andy
    Obviously these things must work, or people wouldn't do it. Whether it's by direct response or viral, the money must come in somewhere.
    Exactly.

I'm getting dozens of these daily.

Geno

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Here are the problems with this email:

1. It's SPAM
    2. It is obviously written by one who does not speak english as his/her first language
    3. It appears to be of foreign origin due to it's SPAM nature and poor wording

No doubt, a non-spam mortgage ad (like the long pig) gets a brief amount of my attention and probably does convert at some small but significant rate, but the SPAM I got is absolutely hopeless. To top it off, the hyperlinks in the email were not even set up to work. I would just be amazed that some US homeowner would work with some seemingly foreign person to refinance their home. Then again, when I hear in the news of what some people do, I guess anything's possible.

This person would have been better off simply sending a click-able banner (like many of the other SPAM emails I get) which at least could have communicated some shred of credibility.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

"Does even 1 in a million respond to this?"

Probably a few more than 1 in a million or the spam clowns would concentrate more on hacking. UG!

Yes, it probably does make money. Personally, I will not get a mortgage from a company that sends junk mail to me and I will not get a credit card from Capital One or anyone who sends me junk mail nearly every day. If you sent me 100 offers and I didn't bite, why keep sending me more and more? Isn't there a limit to branding and where the attempt turn into a type of harassment? With Capital One, it's right there at harassment when you get multiple offers each day. If Coke was in my face day after day like that I wouldn't buy their product either.
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

If you sent me 100 offers and I didn't bite, why keep sending me more and more?
    That's what annoys me the most. If there hasn't been a response after 3 or 4 months, and 5 or 6 attempts, why not let it go?

Back when telemarketers used to call, I remember asking, "How many times do I have to tell you people NO? It was NO last week, NO last month, and NO tonight. DO NOT CALL ME AGAIN - THE ANSWER WILL ALWAYS BE NO!"

Thank goodness those calls have stopped now! It's so nice to answer the phone and have someone there you want to talk to!!

Andy

I think Haiko is squarely on target... with this one... it's all about branding....

Just look at x10 they were the first to use popunders, or lowermybills you see their ads everywhere... they leave subliminal messages... aka BRANDing...

Joe
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    that's my2cents, 'cuz I'm a legend in my own mind....

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Rice
    My wife fills their postage paid envelope with other junk mail and mails it back to them.
    Thanks, I got a really good laugh out of that one, and started filling envelopes.

I think some of you give too much credit to people. They are not all smart, well-informed, members of society. I mean come on...there are people that send money to these really bogus TV evangelists, and people that do fall into the trap of these Nigerian scams....and I'm sure you've all seen the emails that THEY send. I did a research project on this specific topic awhile back and actually called the FBI for some numbers. While I don't have the exact numbers anymore (and they have surely changed over the past few years), thousands - yes, thousands of people, each year were sending money to Nigerian contacts thinking that they were 'working' and that they would be rich quick, and now owe money to banks for cashing these fake checks. I believe there was a quote in Snatch that sums it up - "Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity." Some people are, dare I say, stupid enough to do this stuff.

Now I've got a gold bridge to sell...who's buying?

L

"Now I've got a gold bridge to sell...who's buying?"

is this bridge sold 24C gold or is it gold fill...?
    one more time will you take payments?

JOe
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    that's my2cents, 'cuz I'm a legend in my own mind....

Quote Originally Posted by my2cents
    "Now I've got a gold bridge to sell...who's buying?"

is this bridge sold 24C gold or is it gold fill...?
    one more time will you take payments?

JOe
    LOL, Joe!

It is 100%, pure, precious, gold fill! Only $199.00 a month for 48 months. (A final payment of $487,987 is due at the end of the payment plan period.) Act NOW, and I'll even throw in a genuine, authentic, Van Gogh painting on 11" x 14", glossy printer paper - IN FULL COLOR!

20. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread