Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Deactivated?
    Logged in at CJ this evening and got this surprise:

"Our records indicate that your account has been deactivated.
    To try again please go back to the login page."

How can this be possible? And how do I find out?

Best to you . . . buteverde

Exclamation
    it happens when you haven't had a transaction in six months.

Well, thank you.

That's a shocker. And what do I do with all the ads I have posted on seven sites for my lady, Marjorie? I tried clicking on one for Foot Smarrt, and it went through okay. We've been with CJ for about five years!

And . . . how in the world could I do anything about it?

Doesn't it seem odd that I would find this out through you rather than some contact from CJ?

Thanks again . . . buteverde

in order not to be deactivated. buy something via one of your links before you are deactivated.
    Only thing you can do is create a new account and replace links.

Yes they should contact you. I think it's too bad they didn't. If you sign up for another account all you'll have to do is find/replace your aid with the new one.

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    Yep, all you can do is join again, get a new account, find/replace your PID.

Come Oct 20th, this can happen if you don't login and/or have a transaction every 30 days. So you'll need to take appropriate actions for the upcoming 30 day timeframe.

Thank you for your advice, but . . .
    "All you have to do . . ."

My God! I'm a graphics designer and typesetter working to deadlines, 12-hour days (and nights). There isn't time for a life, much less this!

In our seven sites, I don't even know how many pages there are! Besides the main pages (home, archive, links, books) there has to be 200 articles all told, many with two pages.

I use the 'smart zones' on every site. We have a long list of advertisers. Direct deposit set up. I really can't even think of all the stuff I would have to recreate!

Really vexed . . . buteverde

I use PHP includes, and I draw out a map of what is going to what. It sounds like a lot of work, but it will save you time in the long run.

I tune pages to specific products sometimes, and I put PHP variables at the top of those pages to build the link dynamically. This way, you can drop an advertiser immediately by modifying the few central files, and worry about cleaning up the variables "later."

Making life harder to make life easier.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    This sucks as obviously you don't take on the responsibility to convert legit referral traffic..... the CJ merchants do! CJ should change the PSA terms to read a minimum amount of impressions and clicks within the 30 day period. It's no longer unusual for me to see ZERO CJ sales after a week of 400 clicks. It never happened before the new crop of CJ sponsored BHO's and all the cookie washing and cookie cannon playas appeared on the scene.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Pretty soon there won't be any more affiliates who have cookies to wash... what will the parasites do then?
    Tim
    consultant by day, affiliate by night

Outsourced Program Manager Jorge - SHOPiMAR's Avatar
    CJ should change the PSA terms to read a minimum amount of impressions and clicks within the 30 day period.
    Agree this should be changed. 30 days is too risky for many affiliates, even merchants. Goes back to only wanting to have top 200 in the system, is this what is happening.

If it is true that affiliates still have 6 months, then the PSA should still state that, otherwise it is no longer an affiliate friendly/third party solution or viable network for many to promote and bring business to with fear of having to start over. In my opinion, these new terms and changes are not giving affiliates or merchants reason to have confidence in cj network any longer.

As an affiliate I would be very concerned, as an OPM with requests from some merchants to work with cj, having parasites within the network and NOW these new terms, it is not leaving me much room for positives.

I would love to one day be able to fully recommend and work with a merchant as an OPM on the cj network, but should cj adjust some of these new PSA concerns and make them positives again?

I think it would be great!

Thanks, liquiddog . . .
    Seems I can tell when sites have been built with PHP. Our entry to the universe of web creation was inadvertent, where a CMS (Webseed) that Marjorie used to publish writing went out of business and sold their authors the domains they had registered for them.

We had five sites then and I had a deadline to learn some program or other. Chose GoLive, so that's where I have to be now. I believe there's an option like what you describe called "components", but I have to do some learning curve to use it.

Still cannot believe that CJ would do this. It was always depressing to log in and see $00.00 at the upper right corner. But our traffic increases every month; now something like 30,000 monthly at all seven sites combined. Some of them are certainly the same visitor to more than one site. Damn, it's not our fault if people click through on ads but don't purchase anything.

We always expected the traffic to make all the difference. We've had a second account with Link Share for a few years and never had a sale, but some advertisers there have dropped us, NOT the whole LS program!

I'm really angry, besides being overwhelmed by the effort to restore the relationship with CJ. I'm a careful and responsible person, and we've had such high hopes for our website efforts. We've thought some of our non-sales was because of parasite activity, but see no way to determine that.

Maybe just move everything and anything to Share-a-Sale or Kolimbo. Why do some advertisers move over from CJ to LS? That's been a big problem for me, as well. I want to stay with Smart Bargains, for example, so I have to go into many, many pages and replace the code.

I'd really like to hear from CJ. Why have they done this? We're there in good faith and making a hell of an effort. It's a problem for us to see that $00.00, not for the Company.

Thanks again for your thoughts. I have many bookmarks relating to PHP, but it looks tough to learn and implement.

>>>and/or have a transaction every 30 days<<<

and if they implement that policy and it happens to me I'm out of there for good.

I'm really angry, besides being overwhelmed by the effort to restore the relationship with CJ.
    Looking for the possible silver lining in the situation. Maybe this is an opportunity to ask yourself if you really want to restore the relationship with CJ. You are getting 30k visitors a month but no sales (hence the deactivation). You certainly aren't getting the results you want with CJ. It's looking like CJ is moving away from wanting publisher's like yourself (ie small affs).

Since you are going to have to change links one way or another anyway, maybe this is a time for you to make some changes and test some possibilites outside of CJ. Who knows, you might actually make some money. Since you've been seeing the double goose egg for your balance in CJ anyway, it's not like you're losing $$$ by taking some time to make the changes to Merchants outside of CJ. CJ links will still go through to the Merchant after a publisher termination (free traffic for the Merchant), so your visitors aren't going to run up against dead links because CJ terminate you.

You might want to check out GoldenCan also for some possible quick replacements (outside of CJ merchants) while you sort things out since you have exisiting traffic. Could be a quick and dirty way to do a bit of testing to see what may work for you on your sites.

Hang in there. Sometimes bad things happen with good end results.

Re: Smartbargains. If you can find an alternative merchant you might want to do some testing there also. They can be a tough merchant to convert with for several reasons.

All of the above is JMO of course.

Quote Originally Posted by buteverde
    Well, thank you.

That's a shocker. And what do I do with all the ads I have posted on seven sites for my lady, Marjorie? I tried clicking on one for Foot Smarrt, and it went through okay. We've been with CJ for about five years!

And . . . how in the world could I do anything about it?

Doesn't it seem odd that I would find this out through you rather than some contact from CJ?

Thanks again . . . buteverde
    Buteverde,

The same thing just happened to me a few days back. I was ticked also that CJ didn't contact me before hand. I took over someone elses websites a few months back and was in the process of switching links over to my other CJ act when it happened. Now I have hundreds of pages on several sites with CJ links that I'll have to try and track down.

You might want to try contacting them. I don't know if it will help or not!

Thanks so much, Kellie . . .
    I always pay close attention to your posts here. You're right, of course it is a sort of opportunity. We can expand into other programs. With the seven sites, each on its own topic, there is a wide range of relevance for us to work with merchants of a variety of products. Seems that CJ has many of the "Names" that would be familiar to visitors, as does LS.

. . . and thank you, Packy. Interesting to see that this is a policy for CJ, and not "something I said", to coin an old joke.

The problem of time to do all this doesn't go away. Even to get and respond to help from you folks is delaying work on the CD face for this year's Christmas book add-on. But I have to do it, as Kellie says, make it be the right thing to happen.

If you're not getting one sale every 6 months, what's the point?
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Quick fun fix is to pull the existing CJ links from your sites content pages. Sign up again with CJ, and add in accounts to LS and SAS. Then buildout some nicely designed dedicated www.goldencan.com pages for a variety of merchants on your most popular site. Make them SERP friendly with even static links to the specific showcased merchants site. Then link to these GC pages from your content pages. Add in the Google Adwords script to snatch some PPCSE click fees. Changing out GC links to duds for your traffic is a 1 minute job.

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Buteverde: Have you run the reports to see if MAYBE there IS one sale in the last six months?? Maybe there is a mistake. I hope you can locate one sale in the reports and save your account. Probably CJ did not find any, but on the outside chance, run your reports to double check.

With 30k visitors per month, you could really be rockin' and rollin' with AdSense, if you're not already.
    Tim
    consultant by day, affiliate by night

ecomcity . . . Got to thank you for your thoughts here. That is the kind of guidance that an old guy like me really needs. Kellie (Ms. B?) also recommended GoldenCan.

I think I get it: I've been put off by the learning required for using "DataFeeds", lots of help sites and copies of stuff I've read in my files. So GoldenCan does that part for me, based on a specific merchant java script from them that I use under my own masthead on my site's page I would create as a "store". Is that right?

Odd thing: Seems allowing their business plan of every fourth click substitution of affiliate ID is like (as I understand it) what a parasite does to divert our potential sales. Not a complaint, mind you, they have to make a living or they wouldn't be there for me or any of us.

I can try their scheme with Amazon, since that ID is independent of any CJ or LS or SaS type program. But I wonder: Should I knuckle down and learn how to get my own data feed set up from, say Amazon? Besides the helpful convenience, what benefit is there in sharing with GoldenCan?

. . . and thanks amazonnut, I'd check the reports if I could log in, but the "deactivated" message is all that is available at CJ. Can't check to see who I was advertising for or what I had done as SmartZones, or anything!

And infoTim, google adsense has been a great help, yes, not "rockin" but this will be the first year that we break even with fees for registration, hosting and clip-art.

Best to you .. . buteverde

Quote Originally Posted by buteverde
    ecomcity . . . Got to thank you for your thoughts here. That is the kind of guidance that an old guy like me really needs. Kellie (Ms. B?) also recommended GoldenCan.

I think I get it: I've been put off by the learning required for using "DataFeeds", lots of help sites and copies of stuff I've read in my files. So GoldenCan does that part for me, based on a specific merchant java script from them that I use under my own masthead on my site's page I would create as a "store". Is that right?

Odd thing: Seems allowing their business plan of every fourth click substitution of affiliate ID is like (as I understand it) what a parasite does to divert our potential sales. Not a complaint, mind you, they have to make a living or they wouldn't be there for me or any of us.

I can try their scheme with Amazon, since that ID is independent of any CJ or LS or SaS type program. But I wonder: Should I knuckle down and learn how to get my own data feed set up from, say Amazon? Besides the helpful convenience, what benefit is there in sharing with GoldenCan?

. . . and thanks amazonnut, I'd check the reports if I could log in, but the "deactivated" message is all that is available at CJ. Can't check to see who I was advertising for or what I had done as SmartZones, or anything!

And infoTim, google adsense has been a great help, yes, not "rockin" but this will be the first year that we break even with fees for registration, hosting and clip-art.

Best to you .. . buteverde
    look at the quick GC pages i made from my frontpage www.ecomcity.com and make yours better. ... ps; I'm over 60. Charlie's the youngster

Exclamation
    Quote Originally Posted by amazonut
    Buteverde: Have you run the reports to see if MAYBE there IS one sale in the last six months?? Maybe there is a mistake. I hope you can locate one sale in the reports and save your account. Probably CJ did not find any, but on the outside chance, run your reports to double check.
    he would have had to print everything out for the past six months -- I don't think he can even log in to get any now.

not fun, for sure . . .

buteverde Re: GoldenCan

GC handles all the programming and feed updates. You create your own store and have it incorporated onto your website with just a line of js code.

Now GC is not for everyone. Again it 'might' be a stop gap for you now to have some potentially earning links for your sites. There are a couple points where GC might be a viable option for an affiliate:

The first is the aff has existing traffic, which you do. Content delivered via GC isn't spiderable by SEs since it's js. So GC isn't a good choice for folks needing to don't have some traffic already and are anticipating to garner traffic via natural SERPs. It can also be a good solution for affs who don't have programming knowledge themselves. Also it allows for much easier merchant testing. You can quicly and easily change out between Merchants offered through GC by just changing one line of code. I was seeing it as possibly a short-term solution for your particular circumstances.

With regards to whether it's parasitic or not. IMHO it is not. There are many services out there by folks who provide precoded aff sites. They use all kinds of pricing. Many use rev share. GC uses a 4th click (not 4th sale but 4th click). Now why isn't that parasitic IMO. Because you KNOW that is the payment method. You have agreed to that form of compensation to with GC. Asif does not hide the 4th click thing at all. There are also now some Merchants who absorb the 4th click for you, so there is no 'cost' to you with those merchants. Additionally, it is very easy for an affiliate to test their links to make sure that it is only the 4th click that is showing Asif's ID instead of yours. There is transparency there and a very easy way to check how the IDs are being set...and it doesn't even require a test purchase.

Thanks again, Kellie . . .
    I'll definitely be trying the GoldenCan program. And I didn't mean to say that GC action was parasite action. I did say, "Not a complaint, mind you, they have to make a living or they wouldn't be there for me or any of us."

And, yes, I found in searching their FAQs that one can reload the page and see the rotation to the fourth click. "Transparent" as you say.

Seems odd that no-one from CJ has seen fit to respond in this thread. Perhaps their action is callous and there is no excusing it, so why bother about an insignificant person suddenly loaded with a mountain of digging through his web page files.

and . . . ecomcity, that's quite a sales site you run! No surprise that you would do so well at LinkShare. You could have talked me into buying something and I don't have a dime! But, thanks, I think I see the results of the GC script. Just have to try it out for myself.

As Kellie says, "content" we have plenty of. All our sites are there to publish my lady, Marjorie's articles, and of course the idea was to make money as well. Turns out to have been a real bust on that score. And I don't see us going to the extent that ecomcity has, creating a site that is all for sales potential. Can't there be somewhere in between?

Well, I'll hope that Kellie's idea of making this all for the best will lead to to a better future.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast