Selling copy
    I've just had an approach from the editor of a trade magazine (produced by a B2B company) to use parts of an article from one of my websites. The magazine is distributed free to about 35,000 end users.

Apart from asking for credit to myself and site, should I charge for this? how much should I charge for this? I've no idea where to start so suggestions would be appreciated.

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Ward
    I've just had an approach from the editor of a trade magazine (produced by a B2B company) to use parts of an article from one of my websites. The magazine is distributed free to about 35,000 end users.

Apart from asking for credit to myself and site, should I charge for this? how much should I charge for this? I've no idea where to start so suggestions would be appreciated.

WTG Paul! The traffic you'll get will pay you in spades for the reprint permission. If the magazine is online, insist on your link being LIVE, not just the URL. Going rate for freelance writing is about $1.00 a word.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

A Real *and* Darn Cool Member! lstolze's Avatar
    Paul,

Not sure what type of site you have, or what they do, but instead of payment, how about free advertising for a certain amount of time? I mean, would they consider (and would it be beneficial to you) placing an ad for your site in their newsletter? It sounds like you'll have the potential for good exposure on the credit of the copy, but an ad that pops would be great. I'm sure most would say get the cash, but I always like the scratch my back and I'll scratch yours approach on stuff like this. An ad that sends even 50 paying customers your way would surely be a better profit than $1 a word.

Also, I'm sure you're well aware, but make sure you only allow them one-time reprint rights.

And congratulations!
    ~Lisa - Brilliant Mastermind, or Nut? You decide!

Thanks for the replies, this is a print magazine only, and the article is one that is already written and appears on my web site. I'd expect little or no website traffic or sales from it, which is why I think selling the useage is the way to go, but don't know what to charge.

Doh! Sorry Paul...I got newsletter stuck in my head... LOL! Then yes, definately sell! Rexanne is correct - about $1 a word is the average.

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    $1/word is a little steep, IMO, for a reprint, make sure you don't charge your way out of a sale! Some markets can handle that, sure, but many others won't.
    Following everyone else is a GREAT way to become average.

Hi, thought I'd let you know how this went. We agreed on 50c a word for me to re-write the article to a word limit and with a particular emphasis. I just delivered 750 words and they've bought it. Including back and forth emails, it's taken me about 2 hours in all - not bad for a first attempt and a nice alternative source of revenue, particularly for a subject I know about in depth and don't neeed to research. If it was new to anyone, it would take them hours and hours.Think I'll promote this on a web page now, it was the write to his word limit and spec that seemed to clinch it. First time I've written to a strict word limit since I was a student, except then it was finding extra words that was the problem! This time my first draft was 950 words while trying very hard to be concise.

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Good for you Paul! Glad you figured out a mutually satisfying price per word and that it worked out.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Way to go, Paul!

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread