View Poll Results: Adware Affiliates - Clean or Dirty?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • All Adware Affiliates Are Dirty

21 84.00%
  • All Adware Affiliates Are Clean

0 0%
  • Most Are Dirty But Some Are Clean

3 12.00%
  • Most Are Clean But Some Are Dirty

1 4.00%
    Adware Affiliates - Clean or Dirty?
    After reading the "Clean Sweep" article in Revenue, I would like to see how the folks at ABW feel about adware affiliates. Are they all clean, all dirty, most clean or most dirty?
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Even their distribution methods are dirty.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Outsourced Program Manager Jorge - SHOPiMAR's Avatar
    I told my neighbor, don't call me any more. Just got sick of fixing/ridding their computers every weekend of Adware.

Quote Originally Posted by jrami
    I told my neighbor, don't call me any more. Just got sick of fixing/ridding their computers every weekend of Adware.

I get that a lot too "You work with computers" or "You work on the Internet" then "Can you help me with this problem?" I help more than I should since it takes so much time and have even had some want to do it at their house. I tell them I don't have 8-10 hours to just sit there and work on it, drop it off and I can get it back to you in a week or so. When they pick it up, tell them this is the last freebie and give them a list of software to install and what browser NOT to use.

For those who voted that some are clean, do you want to name a clean adware affiliate? This isn't a loaded question but genuine interest.

Internet Cowboy
    I voted that some are clean. All that I know of are not clean, but I believe, or want to believe anyway, that somewhere out there someone has a toolbar that displays ads and does not stuff cookies or redirect visitors.
    Am I naive in this thinking? Perhaps I am. I voted this way hoping that I will someday prove myself right, but I haven't yet.
    A ray of optimism I guess

Edited to add:
    I have considered having a toolbar put together for myself. It would display ads that are relevant to my sites and I would distribute it myself. I see the value in being able to change the content of ads across a network of toolbars. It would be almost like having an XML feed on users' machines that I can update, an affiliate program for my own sites...so to speak.
    Will I ever do this? Probably not, but if used correctly and installed with 100% consent and allowing easy removal I see no problem with this at all.
    If every toolbar affiliate operated this way we would have no problems with them. But as long as we have greedy affiliates who just can't be happy with making a good living there will always be problems.

I voted "All are dirty" - I know better from 4 years of seeing and hearing it all.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

All that I know of are not clean...
    My thoughts too which is why I asked. I don't know of any that are clean but I'm sure I don't know about all of them either. Since the Revenue article mentioned that some affiliate managers think they're not all bad, I wanted to know which ones were the "clean" ones.

Internet Cowboy
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Rice
    My thoughts too which is why I asked. I don't know of any that are clean but I'm sure I don't know about all of them either. Since the Revenue article mentioned that some affiliate managers think they're not all bad, I wanted to know which ones were the "clean" ones.
    I speak to affiliate managers all the time that tell me SAHS is not a bad affiliate. Those affiliate managers are completely clueless.
    There are about a dozen parasites that I know of and none of them operate above board.

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    I've tested some toolbars that were nothing more than glorified bookmarks and didn't do anything dirty. But I didn't vote because any adware has the potential to be dirty, even those toolbars. And "All adware has the potential to be dirty" wasn't a choice. It really is a shame the way the technology has been used. It could have been a good thing for everyone but it's been so abused by the majority, I don't know if the stigma could be overcome by those who wanted to do 'clean' software.

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    Also with regards to 'dirty' (ie overwriting other affiliate's tracking)....well considering that certain major Networks say it is ok for them to do that in certain situations, then of course they do it. So the Network may call them 'clean' because it's behavior the Network allows. But I call it 'dirty' because it's overwriting someone else's tracking and collecting the commissions as their own.

Quote Originally Posted by Haiko de Poel, Jr.
    I voted "All are dirty" - I know better from 4 years of seeing and hearing it all.
    Now there's an insider who's only gotten burned by his small liberal tolerence streak. I sure Haiko no longer wishes to take on blessing any BHO operator based upon their broken promises. The Holy Water just sizzles when it touches an Adwhores skin.

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Internet Cowboy
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellie aka Ms. B
    It really is a shame the way the technology has been used. It could have been a good thing for everyone but it's been so abused by the majority, I don't know if the stigma could be overcome by those who wanted to do 'clean' software.
    My thoughts exactly. I can see how a toolbar can make a big difference in my bottom line, even when on just a few hundred computers, even just friends and family! Unfortunately, if I had a toolbar and made it common knowledge, my reputation here at ABW and everywhere else (except parasite expo) would be tarnished.
    That is a damn shame and we have the networks to thank. If they had not allowed this abuse to happen, it would not have happened. We can't blame the parasites completely, the networks enabled them and get 75% of the blame in my opinion.

This is all interesting and so far we're looking at over 80% think they're all dirty. And, while there may be clean adware out there we don't yet know who they are.

Quote Originally Posted by UncleScooter
    My thoughts exactly. I can see how a toolbar can make a big difference in my bottom line, even when on just a few hundred computers, even just friends and family! Unfortunately, if I had a toolbar and made it common knowledge, my reputation here at ABW and everywhere else (except parasite expo) would be tarnished.
    That is a damn shame and we have the networks to thank. If they had not allowed this abuse to happen, it would not have happened. We can't blame the parasites completely, the networks enabled them and get 75% of the blame in my opinion.
    Three Hundred Million kidnapped victims of Adwhore toolbars say they'll never ever trust one again, other then Google or Yahoo's.

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Perhaps we should run a companion POLL:

Bankrobbers - Honest or Dishonest?
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Three Hundred Million kidnapped victims of Adwhore toolbars say they'll never ever trust one again, other then Google or Yahoo's.
    Sorry, Charlie,

I don't even trust those. :-(

Seems some searchbar Adwhores have hijacked or phish Google's toolbar. The folks at Coolwebsearch appear to be in on that one!

Quote Originally Posted by ecomcity
    Seems some searchbar Adwhores have hijacked or phish Google's toolbar. The folks at Coolwebsearch appear to be in on that one!
    Well, that's really nice. I only use IE to check page rank and Alexa but the instant I see any odd behavior with their toolbar it'll be uninstalled.

Some insight into the Google tool bar hijacking expoits... http://www.spywareguide.com/articles..._histo_88.html

LOL ... is nothing sacred anymore.

which installs a fake Google Toolbar
    It sounds like I may be ok since I had mine for a couple years or so. It was probably just a matter of time until someone thought about doing this.

22. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread