E C O M X P O: Guess I got what I paid for
    I entered a contest with a merchant to get free tickets to this years e c o m x p o and was very frustrated when I tried to log in. Seems the pass I got was very limited and I could not log in after hours and view the archieves as they claimed at their site. Frankly, when I contacted support they told me I could pay my own money at the login area to get this kind of access.

I'm posting this as I'm pretty sure the company that gave me these passes were not aware of this and other merchants giveing away passes probably did not know either.

Oh, well, I guess you get what you pay for. What should I have expected out of something that was free.
    Ron Bechdolt | Affiliate Program Management Consultant
    7 Days A Week Marketing

Cool
    there were three levels of participation and the merchants who offered us the freebies must have been aware.

limited involvement should have been enough to navigate around and hobnob or otherwise converse with the booth folks.

personally, I didn't see any reason, before or after, to upgrade my admission from basic. I learned a few things. Didn't win anything.

got out with a whole skin.

Thumbs down
    Quote Originally Posted by 7-days
    I entered a contest with a merchant to get free tickets to this years e c o m x p o and was very frustrated when I tried to log in. Seems the pass I got was very limited and I could not log in after hours and view the archieves as they claimed at their site. Frankly, when I contacted support they told me I could pay my own money at the login area to get this kind of access.

I'm posting this as I'm pretty sure the company that gave me these passes were not aware of this and other merchants giveing away passes probably did not know either.

Oh, well, I guess you get what you pay for. What should I have expected out of something that was free.
    I had a similar experience. As expected, it was a sham. The "Free" tickets were supposed to allow the visitor (I'm not going to say "attendee"), to view everything during the three days of the show. After arriving, comp (Free ticket) visitors could only view a little info about merchants/sites (that we already know). Everything else was an "Upgrade" requiring a credit card and money.

Is there anyone that thinks this was something special? I didn't go to the first one, so I was curious. A complete waste of time.

Fred

Quote Originally Posted by Herb ԿԬ
    there were three levels of participation and the merchants who offered us the freebies must have been aware.
    The merchants that I spoke to were not aware, they thought we would be able to access everything during the show's run.

Fred

Herb,

I realize that now that there were different levels, but there was no knowledge of this when I received the prize code and went to their site to get my username and password. I did go to their site later and saw they archived the stuff so thought there was no need to spend all day there during all the days of the show.

I'm not sure it is a sham, but it is was poorly done and I think for next year merchants shoud be aware that what they are giving away is pretty much worthless. Merchants don't need that kind of bad publicity here and I'm just trying to save them the frustration of some angry affiliate slamming them for it.
    7 Days A Week Marketing

Say no more Haiko, say no more. I understand.
    7 Days A Week Marketing

The "free" pass I received was the middle-level. I had about a dozen merchants send me the basic pass, but one sent me the mid-level one.

I didn't see anything worthwhile while I was there. I only logged in the first day. I registered for lots of junk mail... err... prizes..., but I don't think I won anything.

I did hear from a few good people I hadn't talked to in a while.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

There were some specific ones I wanted to see but I was not near a computer Saturday and flying all day on Sunday, a trip I had not planned for.
    7 Days A Week Marketing

I received a mid-level pass from a good merchant friend, and "attended" all three days.

The first day's education courses were really crap. Days 2 and 3 were pretty good though. Not really anything most of the seasoned folks here don't already know, but it was really helpful to have it reinforced, and supporting evidence to my hunches about direction supported with facts that others had been gathering. I liked Seth Godin's presentation. There was also a huge concentration on blogs, rss, etc in 6 or 7 of the sessions. There were almost too many people chiming in. I also listened in on a few of the sessions targeted at merchants to learn a little bit about their concerns and the tips they are picking up - to give me insight on how to approach them, and also for myself if I'm ever on that side of the fence in the future.

I also got in contact with a couple merchants in fields I've been contemplating, but wouldn't have had enough historic clout in that niche to get their attention. Got most of my questions answered on the spot, and decided a few niches weren't spending any more time researching, others that were. In that respect it was definatelly worth my time.

Didn't win any of the prizes though
    Tom C.
    [URL=http://www.cafepress.com/simplesignshop]Simple Sign Shop[/URL]

Every day leave someone or something better than you found it.

I upgrade.. my comp ticket ...

I couldnt access the site when it opened...

infact i was only able to access the "show" once...

*******.... do you understand "CHARGEBACK" ????

YOU'VE GOT ONE COMING

Joe

FYI>>> I send many emails to support... believe it or not... I was told to call the office guess when all else fails.. go with low tech....
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    that's my2cents, 'cuz I'm a legend in my own mind....

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I got a low-level pass (I did look for, and spot, the encoding once I saw the "upgrade" bit) and registered, but never got around to going while the show was on.

I figured it wouldn't be all that much, also I didn't want to have to be on right when the presentation was happening.

And when I saw what the archive access cost, I said forget it!
    So, another year, and I still don't know what the presentations are like at the expo. Somehow I don't think it's a real loss.
    A complete waste of time.~Fred
    I didn't see anything worthwhile while I was there. I only logged in the first day.~Michael Coley
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Considering what I've seen and read about the people behind this "event" I would have been surprised if it had been worthwhile...

Seems to me they promote themselves more than anything, and I certainly don't agree with what they stand for, in most cases.

Andy

i attended several sessions the 1st expo(had a free pass then). I didn't even bother this time, because in 3 days I could do a lot more learning on my own if I wanted.

ABW Ambassador
    I got a pass from a good merchant friend and was able to see the live presentations and some archived ones. Stayed up late to listen to as many as I could all 3 days.

Learnt quite a bit, or rather, was reminded that I have forgotten the AM basics I started with. Was reminded through the seminars of the importance of blogs, communities etc.

I think it was a good 3 days.

CPA Network Rep
    Hi,

It is pretty obvious that the show was disappointing to most. Was there any good that came out of it?

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    Everyone I know was there - and no one said hi!!!!

harumfff!!!

That means it's been a year since my "Things I learned at E" thread - which I won't get into

But this year's lesson was...

there are other Networks...

We don't have to do VistaPrint thru BeFree.

We don't have to do HansenEllis thru CJ.

Nuff said

http and a telephoto
    I'll just say one thing, you get what you want to get out of ANY conference or expo... And the free passes were clearly marked as what they were. I gave out both full and limited access, and made sure the people I gave them to knew what they were getting.

I spent the 3 days helping people out learning how to use the show to their best advantage. I think that part of the problem is that it is a new medium and people aren't used to getting around in that interface. If you want to PM or email me ( dc @ loxly.com ) specific suggestions I can pass them along, if you don't want to associate with "those folks" directly.

Fortunately I do have a pass that allows me to access the archives and I happen to be learning a lot. But I went into the first show with an open mind, and this one also. And, yeah, there are a few presentations that were boring or too low level for most of us here. That doesn't mean they weren't of value to *someone*.

And I did chat with numerous ABW'ers there. And lots and lots of new Cafe Press shopkeepers that have been suddenly turned into merchants by the Cafe Press aff program launch.

Like all conferences, this isn't for everyone, but it doesn't mean it doesn't have value.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

I went to the one in February and really enjoyed it. But I think I was mostly impressed with the idea of the online tradeshow. That was a new experience in itself.

This time, though, I was disappointed. I only went on a free low-level pass, and I was well aware before I went that I would have the limitations. But, in looking over the list of topics, I don't see anything that I felt I would want to pay to see or listen to.

I think, most anything you want to know, you can learn right here at ABW.

19. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread