A Real *and* Darn Cool Member! lstolze's Avatar
    Need Pork Help!
    How's that for a title?

Seriously, I am a little pressed for time, and need to get dinner on the table, and tried allrecipes, but just can't figure out how to find what I need. I have these kind of blah, bone-in pork cutlets, and the last batch were terrible as breaded cutlets. The meat on these is tough. I bought a big batch because it was on sale and split it up for several meals....alas, poor me!

Anyway, I was hoping someone might have a fairly easy 'quick fix' for this. I thought about boiling them and then taking the meat off the bone, but then what?

Sorry....I know this is a weird thing to post here, but I'm desperate! I'm usually pretty good in a dinner pinch, but I am lost here.

Thanks everyone!

L
    ~Lisa - Brilliant Mastermind, or Nut? You decide!

Internet Cowboy
    Chop an onion and a green pepper and brown them in a small amount of oil. Brown the pork chops lightly in another pan. Put them in with the onions and peppers and pour a cup of water on it and boil it for 20 minutes. Then simmer it for an hour or so and mix in some flour mixed with water to thicken it. Serve it over rice. I did this yesterday with a chuck steak and it was awesome! Had the rest for lunch today and it was better today. Anyting with an onion and pepper base is always better the next day!
    What time do we eat?

Exactly what cut is it that you have? Is it something similar to a pork chop?

One of my favorite sites for recipes is:

http://www.recipezaar.com/

Here are their pork chop recipes, sorted with the highest ranked ones first:

http://www.recipezaar.com/r/378/ls=h

I usually just grill pork chops, either with spices or BBQ sauce.

My wife has a great recipe for Rosemary Pork Tenderloin.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Thanks, Scott. That sounds tasty BUT I don't have green pepper.

Michael, I have no idea, and had seperated the cutlets and threw out the packaging. They are large, thin, and have a bone kind of like pork chops, but instead of the fat mostly around the edges, these are kind of marbled with fat. I'll never buy them again if I see them! Just too awful.... If I had remembered earlier, I would have marinated them in beer or something.

http://www.chef2chef.com/ has tons of recipes once you find the link to them.

What usually works for me is to put it in a baking pan douse it in bbq sauce cover the pan in foil...throw it in the oven at 325 - 350 for a few hours or less....if that doesn't soften it up nothing will...
    Suz~~GearGirl~~

Internet Cowboy
    Sounds like bone-in pork butt steaks to me. That is basically the round steak section of a pig.
    I worked in a meat market through high school.
    Those can't be grilled unless they are marinated for a long time in something that will tenderize them.
    I say put them in something to marinate, put that in the fridge and order a pizza for tonight. Then you will have delicious pork steaks for tomorrow.

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    Beer?!? Good lord woman if the meat's that tough you have to call out the armada. You need VODKA!

Whack the meat good with a tenderizer for a while. (Pretend it's a parasite.) Then douse it with vodka. Alcohol breaks down protein and it will really tenderize the meat. Best though if you let it marinate in the vodka for a day.

BTW, the alcohol burns off when you cook the meat.

ABW Ambassador
    Those do sound more like pork steaks than chops, and it's so easy to cook those, though it's never too quick.

Just brown the steaks on both sides, seasoned with a bit of salt and pepper, then add some water to the bottom of the skillet, cover and let simmer for about an hour or so. The moisture tenderizes with a slow simmer - it's actually braising. Then, you can uncover when they're fork tender to let the water cook off a bit and so they'll brown a little and look pretty.

Extra quick accompaniments: good served with a salad (pre-packaged in the produce department), Hungry Jack instant mashed potatoes (the only brand I've found that don't taste like powedered cardboard) and a good brand of canned corn like Niblets.

Get out the crock pot, Liz!

Carrots, onions, celery in the bottom. Load in the pork. Add a can of chicken broth, along with some italian seasoning. Top off with enough water to cover.

That's about it. Cook them on the low setting for 8 hours. The meat will be falling off the bones, and pretty darned tender!
    Christopher Park
    Affiliate/Partnerships Manager
    Blair.com
    cjpark@blair.com
    (814)726-6074
    AIM: BLAIRAffiliates
    Twitter: BLAIRAffiliates

Make a batch of stove top stuffing (or your own stuffing), mound that in middle of oven dish, place the pork "chops around the border, pour a can of cream of celery or cream of mushroom or even cream of chicken soup on top of chops and bake it til done. Depending on thickness about 40 minutes.

Otherwise throw them in crockpot with sauerkraut. Crockpot will tenderize any meat.

Wow! Thanks for all the responses! I especially like Scott and Christopher's suggestions, but they are all darn good! I couldn't do a crockpot dinner, since I had to have it on the table by 6:30. I ended up sticking it in beer (I didn't have vodka) with some soy sauce, garlic, and marjoram. I let it marinate for a half hour or so. Then I heated some olive oil with onions in a pan, browned the meat, then set aside. I put some flour in the pan with juices, onions and oil, cooked for a bit, then added one cup beef boullion broth to make gravy. Made some boiled potatoes, peas and threw the meat in the gravy for a bit. It wasn't fancy, but it did seem the meat was a touch more tender. And it didn't hurt that the gravy turned out well and covered the meat well.

My wife's recipe goes something like this: butter a glass baking dish, line it with sliced apples, sprinkle with brown sugar and cinnamon, and put the pork chops on top. Cover, bake, eat, yum.

Sorry for the shortage of details, but this keeps them very moist.

-John.
    There's a reason army's wear uniforms even though it makes them easier to spot. Sometimes that's what you want. Uniforms suggest organization, power, and numbers. These, in turn, inspire fear. And, as any good operative knows, there is no more effective weapon than fear.

Hosting Comparison - HostScope - jrrl.com

Internet Cowboy

Glad It Turned Out Well For You, Lisa
    Quote Originally Posted by lstolze
    Wow! Thanks for all the responses! I especially like Scott and Christopher's suggestions, but they are all darn good! I couldn't do a crockpot dinner, since I had to have it on the table by 6:30. I ended up sticking it in beer (I didn't have vodka) with some soy sauce, garlic, and marjoram. I let it marinate for a half hour or so. Then I heated some olive oil with onions in a pan, browned the meat, then set aside. I put some flour in the pan with juices, onions and oil, cooked for a bit, then added one cup beef boullion broth to make gravy. Made some boiled potatoes, peas and threw the meat in the gravy for a bit. It wasn't fancy, but it did seem the meat was a touch more tender. And it didn't hurt that the gravy turned out well and covered the meat well.
    Lisa, there are some cuts of meat that will only turn out tender by long, slow cooking. Pork butt steak is one of them.

I make a pot roast that everyone (and I mean EVERYONE) who has tried it, just loves! This basic method can translate into any tough cut of meat.

Season flour according to what you like (salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, sage - you substitute what you like). Cut the meat into 1 - 2 inch pieces, flour and brown in a little oil. It is important to really brown it good, cuz you need the browned scrapings.

Put into a dutch oven type pot along with couple cans of broth (chicken for chicken and pork, beef broth for beef). Scrape up as much of the browned bits as you can and put in the pot.

Preheat oven to 325 degrees and cook the meat for 3-4 hours. Guaranteed melt-in-your-mouth tender!

This is, of course, a very basic recipe. You can add carrots and potatos with about an hour and half left to cook. You can saute a little garlic with the meat. You can make a gravy out of the broth when the meat is finished cooking. This is a recipe I use a lot cuz it is so versatile.
    Blessed Be,
    White Wolf

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread