frustrating Noob PPC experience
    I started using google PPC about a week ago and after three dead-end affiliate campaigns i finally made my first profit ($4.10 yay).

So I tweaked my ad copy a bit, found out what keywords were performing and increased the bid on them to get a higher rank. I was thrilled to see my CTR had increased about 10x overnight (not that it was stellar, but still exciting for a noob like me).

So I logged in to CJ to see how much profit I'd pulled in and saw that there were no new funds. Scratching my head I decided to check out the merchants landing page. Where just the other day there were nice product pictures, now I was greeted by big ugly red X's. No wonder the conversion rate was nil.

I checked out their site a little more and saw there were using yahoo stores with some kind of image hosting site for their pics. I paused my ppc and fired off an email to the affiliate manager (nothing nasty, just a "head's up").

Is this something that happens alot? It was really frustrating for me to see all those clickthroughs fall flat. Any good strategies to minimize this sort of thing?

This is unrelated to what you are seeing but something caught my eye I am curious about:

You've gone throught three campaigns in a week? How long do you wait to see if something works? Three campaigns in a week seems awfully high.

As far as strategies to what... minimize the the chance that the merchants site will break or go down? It seems to me like that is what happened to your merchant.

You may make something from one of the cookies. Though, there are so many aff links and sites/programs overwriting cookies out there.

Quote Originally Posted by patrick24601
    This is unrelated to what you are seeing but something caught my eye I am curious about:

You've gone throught three campaigns in a week? How long do you wait to see if something works? Three campaigns in a week seems awfully high.

As far as strategies to what... minimize the the chance that the merchants site will break or go down? It seems to me like that is what happened to your merchant.
    I was eager to get started, so I started one; then while waiting to see how it went I started two other different ones with different merchants. I figured with the budget control I wouldn't be risking that much bye running three different ones simultaniously. Since my first real problem was in getting the clicks I was right on that. It's a learning experience.

Quote Originally Posted by dpl882
    You may make something from one of the cookies. Though, there are so many aff links and sites/programs overwriting cookies out there.
    Yeah, they have a 30-day cookie, but I'm afraid if a surfer went to the page and got as bad of a first impression as i think they did that they wouldn't exactly come back for more.

What's the deal with overwriting cookies?

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread